Should we use Tavon on kickoffs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am totally against it...

However; the thought of getting the ball in his hands more is appealing, particularly with the lack of another KR on this team.

Would Tavon, on occasion when a run back is possible, give us better field position?

Thoughts?

EastRam

Pro Bowler
CGI_Ram said:
I am totally against it...

However; the thought of getting the ball in his hands more is appealing, particularly with the lack of another KR on this team.

Would Tavon, on occasion when a run back is possible, give us better field position?

Thoughts?

We really haven't used him at all to date.

But yes seeing how we're really not using him in the running game or passing game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, we need to plug him in more at HB. I'd avoid KRs...much more risky in terms of injuries.

V3

Hall of Fame
Who cares if he gets hurt doing KR if he isn't used in the passing game anyway?

Use him. That's why he was drafted so high.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Won't make much of a difference, with kickoffs from the 35 now, most balls are dead and the catchable ones are half way into the end zone and even prime Dante Hall couldn't cover that much ground.

fancents86

Starter
HELL NO. I was screaming at my tv screen thurs night bc every single time he went for a KR he stood there for a good 5 seconds before even running. That crap might work in college, but not the nfl. Also using him on KR's a is good way to get him injured.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Absolutely use him. He has never been injured, not saying it can't happen, but the guy is far from injury prone. If Trinden Holiday at 5'5" can do it, and do it well, I believe he can as well

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
El Juggernauto said:
Absolutely use him. He has never been injured, not saying it can't happen, but the guy is far from injury prone. If Trinden Holiday at 5'5" can do it, and do it well, I believe he can as well

This^^^

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I don't want anyone returning kicks for this team, just get ahold of the ball in the endzone, and take a knee. The way we get penalties on special teams, the 20 yard line is the most we could hope for.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
HE WITH HORNS said:
I don't want anyone returning kicks for this team, just get ahold of the ball in the endzone, and take a knee. The way we get penalties on special teams, the 20 yard line is the most we could hope for.

Generally we have a lot less penalties on our kickoff returns than our punt returns.

Since most of the blockers start off at the line of scrimmage and have to keep up with the gunners and catch up to make blocks that's where the penalties start, because our guys are getting creamed by the gunners and thus having to do illegal things to keep them from creaming Tavon and giving him even the remotest change of a return.

While on the kick off, they're all already set up, which cuts down on the penalties we usually commit. If we're committing blocks in the backs on the kickoff, then we need to worry about more than just if Austin takes kickoffs.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
IMO, we need to plug him in more at HB. I'd avoid KRs...much more risky in terms of injuries.
How many times did Tony Horne get injured? I know it's a small sample size, but the point I'm trying to make is that he was a game changer. Never mind the return TDs ... I'm talking about field position. And I've seen that whole "too risky" argument before, but how is it more dangerous than punt returns?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
jrry32 said:
How many times did Tony Horne get injured? I know it's a small sample size, but the point I'm trying to make is that he was a game changer. Never mind the return TDs ... I'm talking about field position. And I've seen that whole "too risky" argument before, but how is it more dangerous than punt returns?
I just think we are spreading him too thin already. Things need to slow down for him.

V3

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
X said:
jrry32 said:
I just think we are spreading him too thin already. Things need to slow down for him.

Does KR require the player to learn a bunch of new things? How is it that different from PR? How would he be spread too thin when they barely use him now?

Right now, we spent a first and second round pick on a VERY small slot receiver that barely gets used. He wasn't drafted that high for his catching radius, jumping ability, or size. He was taken that high to make plays in multiple areas including returning. If they aren't going to use him, they wasted two picks.

TexRamFan

Rookie
I go back and forth on this question.

Have the Rams ever said why they do not use him there?

Is it because they are scared of him getting hurt?

I would think he would have a better chance getting hurt taking handoffs multiple times a game compared to returning 1-2 kickoffs a game. Heck were not scoring anyway and we only have 3 kickoffs a game right now. It is hard to watch Cunningham sludge his way out to the 18 when they do get a chance to return one.

I see starting RB's such as Jaquizz Rodgers take kickoffs which makes me believe Tavon could handle it. As a previous poster said, Holliday is smaller than Tavon and he is doing just fine.

At this point I would love to see as much change as possible.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
V3 said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
jrry32 said:

Does KR require the player to learn a bunch of new things? How is it that different from PR? How would he be spread too thin when they barely use him now?

Right now, we spent a first and second round pick on a VERY small slot receiver that barely gets used. He wasn't drafted that high for his catching radius, jumping ability, or size. He was taken that high to make plays in multiple areas including returning. If they aren't going to use him, they wasted two picks.
And he is returning...punts. He's learned the outside receiver, the slot receiver, the RB position. That is a lot on his plate. Let him catch up first. He is already thinking too much, and I wouldn't risk the injury for what I don't think would be a good return.

Both positions are mostly based on instinct, but he's barely handling the PR duties. I am not so inclined to throw in the deep end. You can see the kids mind is spinning already.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Fisher said kr duties are not out of the picture for tavon, but since he is being asked to learn a lot of positions hr didn't want ti add that to his plate

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Ppl keep saying he's going to get injured on KR. Honestly, I believe he's more likely to be injured by a hard hitting safety than on KR. Kick returners see all of their hits coming and rarely get hit head on. The smallest guys in the league are usually on KR- Brandon Banks, Holliday. Honestly, when was the last time you heard of a KR returner getting injured on a KR? A lot of returns are touchbacks, and they like to get out of bounds when near the sideline.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RamsOfCastamere said:
Ppl keep saying he's going to get injured on KR. Honestly, I believe he's more likely to be injured by a hard hitting safety than on KR. Kick returners see all of their hits coming and rarely get hit head on. The smallest guys in the league are usually on KR- Brandon Banks, Holliday. Honestly, when was the last time you heard of a KR returner getting injured on a KR? A lot of returns are touchbacks, and they like to get out of bounds when near the sideline.

Danny got a concussion against the Lions back in 2010 on a KR. Yes, you can see them coming but you also have guys with a 60 yard running start.