Should we trade down from #10?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I know this is still pre FA, but I'm restless today.

Our pick at #10 will surely provide us with a terrific football player. Possibly an elite player.

Verrrry hard to pass those types of players up. Remember Donald just last year?

Then again, if we could trade down and pick up an extra 2nd or a 3rd, well... That could become an additional 10 year starter for us plus putting us in the thick of the playoff hunt this year. How cool would THAT be?

Early indications are that quality players at our positions of need will be there in abundance in the twenties through maybe #50 or so. We might snag a QB, LB, CB, WR, or ??? with an extra premium pick.

Or maybe we could pick up an extra 1st for '16 instead? THAT might prove to be a real coup, huh?

Trade down or not, we should easily be able to fix our OL this offseason. Take a stab at a QB solution, too.

So it just comes down to our preferences as to trade or not trade.

C'mon fellas. Help a brother out here as we wait for the official FA season to start. Lol.

Opinions wanted...

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I know this is kind of the 'kill thread' answer - but doesn't it depend on who is there at #10? I can see scenarios where I would certainly want to trade down and scenarios where it would take the moon to get me out of the #10 spot.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am leaning toward not trading down. The only way I would agree with it is if all that is left is Scherf and the trade back is not too far back to get L.Collins, Clemmings, Erving etc. But if one of the top 3 WRs is sitting there, top 2 QB, or just a highly rated player that shouldn't be sitting there at ten, then you take him.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I am leaning toward not trading down. The only way I would agree with it is if all that is left is Scherf and the trade back is not too far back to get L.Collins, Clemmings, Erving etc. But if one of the top 3 WRs is sitting there, top 2 QB, or just a highly rated player that shouldn't be sitting there at ten, then you take him.
If all that is left is Scherrf why would any other team trade up for him? A trade down is much more likely and more rewarding if a highly coveted player is available.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If all that is left is Scherrf why would any other team trade up for him? A trade down is much more likely and more rewarding if a highly coveted player is available.

I agree but there could be another player there that 3/4 teams want to jump up to get. Maybe a DE or a guy like Shelton?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Only if Peat, Cooper, and White are all gone.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
For those that are interested in a trade down, I did a simulation using First-draft.com to see what players tend to stay within the 1-9 spots. I chose 14 players that I think are the 14 most popular and tracked when they fell OUT of the top 9. I simulated the draft 30 times. Here are the results. Again, the number represents the number of times they were NOT in the top 9 ;

Leonard WIlliams - DT 0
Dante Fowler - DE/OLB 0
Jamies Winston - QB 5
Marcis Mariotta - QB 6
Randy Gregory - DE/OLB 4
Shane Ray - DE/OLB 6
Brandon Scherff - OT 9
Andrus Peat - OT 10
Danny Shelton - DT 12
Alvin Dupree - OLB/DE 12
Vic Beasley - OLB 19
Lael Collins - OT/OG 18
Amari Cooper - WR 27
K. White - WR 29

Three players who I didn't track but noticed they made it in top a 9 a couple of times were Safety Landon Collins, CB Trae Waynes and OT/OC Cameron Erving

I know this game does not simulate the actual NFL draft, but it is interesting to see that there are a few defensive edge rushers who will most likely be on the board at #10 along with a WR and/or top OT. IMO, I would trade down if either Winston or Mariotta don't fall to #10.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I'd like a trade down! Especially if the team gets a 2nd 1 for doing so! 2 top 30 players sounds better than 1 in this O line heavy draft! More big uglies!!!!!!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We should consider trading up or down. Trade up for one of the QBs, stay at #10 if Cooper or White are available, or trade down if they and the QBs are gone.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
We should consider trading up or down. Trade up for one of the QBs, stay at #10 if Cooper or White are available, or trade down if they and the QBs are gone.
Trade up for the qb's is good! Cooper, yeah sure! Doubt either will happen so, trade down for more picks to get more o line help seems like the way it'll go! I'm hoping, anyway!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I've been thinking for a while now; I'll be surprised if we don't trade down.

Of course, if there is an elite guy we don't expect to be available (like it was with Donald last year) we probably make the pick...

But I think the Rams would love another pick in the top 3 rounds to fill more holes especially if they intend to take a QB and sit him on the bench (essentially getting no contribution from the pick for 2015).

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Leonard WIlliams - DT 0
Dante Fowler - DE/OLB 0
Jamies Winston - QB 5
Marcis Mariotta - QB 6
Randy Gregory - DE/OLB 4
Shane Ray - DE/OLB 6
Brandon Scherff - OT 9
Andrus Peat - OT 10
Danny Shelton - DT 12
Alvin Dupree - OLB/DE 12
Vic Beasley - OLB 19
Lael Collins - OT/OG 18
Amari Cooper - WR 27
K. White - WR 29

Very interesting! Thanks for this post!!