Should Rams trade Tavon?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

…..

Legend
We're stuck in his contract, so cant trade him this year.

I want to see how this new coaching staff views Tavon's role with the offense, and of course any subsequent production as a result.

I hope we see some decisive action, as seen this off season with regards to multiple offensive starters being shuffled out. Either we buy into this guy for real (as if we havent already bought something) or we go another direction. To see him toil in the middle of the depth chart and hang on for another few years while making periodic appearences and plays is to me, the worst case scenario.

…..

Legend
Also, why aren't we questioning the salary of Mark Barron? ... 11-mil for this season? I like Mark Barron, but he is not a 10-Mil per season Linebacker.

25-Mil is what Austin and Barron combined will be counting against the Cap this season. That is 16.5% of the Salary Cap being absorbed by just 2 players who are not even the most important on either side of the ball....

I think some would debate his importance to the defense. In his role, particularly with Tree out, Mark was our Tackling machine and probably played THE most significant role last year. But this isnt last year and I agree with you...If Tree is playing, Mark is not the most important player.

I also think Barron should be payed about 4 million less...in the 7-8 Mil range and think he earns that deal no matter what position he plays.

Will be interesting to see how he's used this year. Our defense is definately a hybrid of something...I wonder if the change to 3-4 adds even greater flexibility to Barrons role. Initially, I'm guessing Wade is foaming at the mouth to turn him loose.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I'd wait to see how things go with him in training camp. If he's being beat out, trade him. If not, why trade a starter just because of money? We're not going to be signing any high end free agents at this point, so let the man show what he could do in an offense. If he works out, cool. If he doesn't, trade him at the deadline or in the offseason. I don't see the point in getting rid of our most dynamic offensive weapon right after we got a real offensive guy calling the plays.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Also, why aren't we questioning the salary of Mark Barron? ... 11-mil for this season? I like Mark Barron, but he is not a 10-Mil per season Linebacker. I wish the Media would ask these questions at some of the press conferences. Snead and Demoff need to be held accountable. Instead they get softball questions at those conferences.
25-Mil is what Austin and Barron combined will be counting against the Cap this season. That is 16.5% of the Salary Cap being absorbed by just 2 players who are not even the most important on either side of the ball.
Like what @flv said, you are trading the contract as opposed to just the player.

Most disagree, but IMO, now that they are probably stuck with Trumaine Johnson for one year, Mark Barron should be the next cap casualty (release or trade) if there is going to be one. That contract was ridiculous.

They need to get back on the horn with Buffalo who is switching from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3 defense and at the very least see if they can get OL Ryan Groy, a future pick, or maybe even QB Cardale Jones and former Rams Ian Seau in return for his services, IMO.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Most disagree, but IMO, now that they are probably stuck with Trumaine Johnson for one year, Mark Barron should be the next cap casualty (release or trade) if there is going to be one. That contract was ridiculous.

They need to get back on the horn with Buffalo who is switching from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3 defense and at the very least see if they can get OL Ryan Groy, a future pick, or maybe even QB Cardale Jones and former Rams Ian Seau in return for his services, IMO.

Cardale Jones is so bad there's word he won't even make the bills this year. Why trade for him?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Cardale Jones is so bad there's word he won't even make the bills this year. Why trade for him?

Just another camp arm that could possible go on the practice squad and develop. BTW, Seau will probably be cut, too. I'd just rather them in camp now.

In other words, if more cap relief is needed, I'd understand it if Barron were merely a salary cap cut and the Rams got nothing if he weren't willing to accept a paycut.

Last edited:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I'd wait to see how things go with him in training camp. If he's being beat out, trade him. If not, why trade a starter just because of money? We're not going to be signing any high end free agents at this point, so let the man show what he could do in an offense. If he works out, cool. If he doesn't, trade him at the deadline or in the offseason. I don't see the point in getting rid of our most dynamic offensive weapon right after we got a real offensive guy calling the plays.

I think if Austin is still starting this year that might be an issue. Austin excellent at plays you can't run with regularity. We need an offense that can keep drives going in order for Austin to come in occasionally and be a difference maker. Otherwise, busting a long touchdown just ends with our defense being more worn down and allowing more points. Not that I'm trying to blame Austin for all the points the defense gave up. It's just an interconnected web of performance. 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, 76 yard punt return for td, 3 and out still end up with 7 points and a gassed defense. I'd rather string several possessions with multiple first downs together, have 7 points, and a somewhat fresh defense.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Austin is a great addition to a good offense, and a terrible addition to a bad offense. Unfortunately, we were a bad offense. Hopefully that changes.