Should Rams trade Tavon?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'll never understand why Rams fans want to trade away a guy who produced 1000 yards and 10 touchdowns two years ago. Let him produce in this offense first and then see what we do.

I feel the same. The most explosive player we have on offense that can score at any time and we continue to talk about dumping him. Nobody on this site is contributing to his salary so what does it really matter what he makes. Let's not forget he's been mainly part of some of the worst QB and offensive play ever.
Let's see him in a real offense before we cast him off.

jap

Legend
The biggest thing I took from Tavon's recent press conference is I believe he really has the WE not Me attitude.

Sure he has the big contract - I'd sign a contract like that too if I was offered.

However, he kept talking about how excited he was to see his teammates 'balling' during practice. He talked about how of course he wants the ball in his hands, in anyway he can. He also will be a huge cheerleader from the sideline for his teammates.

That's a WE guy.

You don't need the press conference to see he's a WE guy. Just look at how he plays. As tiny as he is, the guy still blocks bigger than his size. I remember a few years back (2014) when our RB had a 90 yard (or thereabouts) TD run, Tavon took out two guys on that run. We know NFL DC's are well aware of him because they game plan for him every single game. Only the Colts were stupid enough to try to play him man-to-man, and he toasted them royally for that guffaw. It is our inadequacy at QB that has not allowed him to be as effective a distraction as he can be without the ball and as destructive as he can be with it.

The general problem with the Tavon drafting is very similar to the problem with the GRob drafting. You have a clueless staff that selects a highly gifted player who is raw in critical football skills and that have absolutely no! plan in place to bring that player up to speed quickly . . . or even gradually! How stupid can you get!?!

Everybody and their grandmama knew that GRob was raw in pass blocking skills with Hall of Fame caliber agility for a massive guy. I find it stupendous to believe that Coach Bou pounded the table for this raw Paul Bunyan and utterly failed to provided basic technique training for his supposed LT for the next ten years!

With Tavon, he was a RB turned WR with suspect hands and route running weaknesses from the get-go. Why wasn't he singled out for extensive fundamental training there?

If you are going to invest a top ten Round One draft selection on these two kids, doesn't sheer common sense dictate that you go out of your way to maximize your investment? Even with the ridiculous constraints of the PA agreement on training time, surely you can recommend outside training sources for these players to get as NFL-ready as quickly as possible.

Both Tavon and the Gurley Man can take the rock to pay dirt at any given point on the field. Their very presence on the field demands! a high level of team blocking at every position. Other home run threats (e.g., Thomas, Kupp) may emerge this coming season. Tavon running post patterns will require two or more defenders for decent coverage---that's at least one less defender for the other fly guys. I strongly feel for Tavon to emerge as a consistently effective ball carrier, other weapons must emerge. Tavon and Todd played well off each pother in 2015. Let's see if we can augment our Thunder & Lightning weapons brigade with additional members in 2017.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not a fan of the trade up to select him.
Not a fan of the contract extension.
Not a fan of trading him before we see what he can do in a new offense.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We certainly don't GRob him, because he has had flashes of brilliance. Right now, I just don't see how you teach a guy to overcome limited catch radius and hands of stone. Maybe the route running can improve? I see Tavon as a gadget guy, get in space weapon, and that's it. But hey, McVay may be able to work miracles this year, so lets see.

BeefJurky

Rookie
I see Tavon as the last remnant of Jeff Fisher mediocracy.
That contract hurts my soul to even think about.

He seems to have an attitude problem too, beefing with people on Twitter and what not. Balking at contract restructuring. Big ego, no production.

If he doesn't turn it around BIG time he's gone next season.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I'll never understand why Rams fans want to trade away a guy who produced 1000 yards and 10 touchdowns two years ago. Let him produce in this offense first and then see what we do.

Keep it in perspective...he was a first round pick that we traded up to get and we now pay him $9+ mill a year (#1 WR money) thats entering his 5TH NFL season and has...

Never caught more than 58 catches in a season...

Has a career average of 9.1 YPC...

Set a career high of 509 yards receiving in his 4th season as a pro...

I hope McVay gets him going but Brother, i have my doubts...hes gonna have to be drastically more effective to stay on the team at his pay...

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I would trade him. I harped on his historical inefficiency all off season which you cant put soley on the coaches. With all that said no one is taking on that contract, and cutting him isn't worth it, so we are probably stuck with him for 2017.

I could see him being effective in a Taylor Gabriel like role in McVay/LaFleur's offense, but you don't pay a guy what Tavon is making for that role. McVay and Lafleur were on teams that found small speedy guys later in the draft and in UDFA to fill that role like Taylor Gabriel and Aldrick Robinson and IMO they will eventually replace Tavon in the same fashion. In terms of the current 90 man roster, Shakier Ryan is an intriguing guy for that role and if he can show something as returner he may be a surprise addition to the final 53.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I feel the same. The most explosive player we have on offense that can score at any time and we continue to talk about dumping him. Nobody on this site is contributing to his salary so what does it really matter what he makes. Let's not forget he's been mainly part of some of the worst QB and offensive play ever.
Let's see him in a real offense before we cast him off.

Britt set career highs for yardage in the same offense that Tavon was in...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The best part of the off season :) Debating the same things over and over and over and over for months on end :D

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
He's not going to draw enough value to be worth trading. You don't trade low on a guy who might be good, and this would be the epitome of trading low.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jeremy Maclin signed a 2 year 11 million dollar contract with the Ravens to play the slot. That would be roughly the same amount owed to Tavon, including his 2018 roster bonus., for a team trading for him. Maclin had a few teams interested, perhaps one of those teams would have interest in Austin. Tavon is 3 years younger, but Maclin is a much, much better football player. Seems the rams be stuck with Tavon for 2018, and hope the new coaching staff can get production from him. Stuck and hope do not inspire much confidence

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
McVay and Lafleur were on teams that found small speedy guys later in the draft and in UDFA to fill that role like Taylor Gabriel and Aldrick Robinson and IMO they will eventually replace Tavon in the same fashion.
I think EVERY team finds guys with his size and skill set in later rounds....I'd be curious to see if any team has drafted such a player that high.

We gotta keep him until McVay proves he can't use him. I'd hate to see the guy go for 1000 yards on another team.

fearsomefour

Legend
In Tavons best season (going off memory here), including returns, he scored once every 10 touches. That is rare playmaking ability. The previous staff struggles greatly to use players.
Hopefully McVey and Co can maximize his use. I think Austin can still be a difference maker.
A big play guy that doesn't require a bunch of touches to impact games in a big way. I just hope he isent forgotten because he isent the trusted, solid possession route runner type.
He can be explosive and score into the teens in terms of TDs.
Find a way coach!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Fact is TA is a rare fine & can do many things if his environment is the type that he can flourish. The type of offensive environment that he has been playing in was toxic for him. I have posted that I don't think TA will be one of the Rams top 3 Ram wide outs. I still believe this. However I do feel he can help this team win in 2017.

Once this offense is learned, gets going & begins to get broke in....a fully functioning TA has the talent to give this team a serious hot spark to give this entire offensive motor up & running to cruising speed. I just do not see him as a pure wide out & see him more as a player who can be a multi functional role position. TA can play many roles @ RB. Same in the receiving game too plus get in some critical punt returns in close games.

TA is going to have to put in some serious time in catching up in this new offense because as we all know TA is not the sharpest tool in most sheds or work shops. As far as trading TA & his salary cap hit.... SURE! I am all in, but it is not going to happen.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
we need to see what McVay can do with him. I believe this season is his do or die season in LA.

nanotech

Rookie
yawn.jpg

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

First, It's Rams management's fault for paying a player like an MVP when he's not even a Pro-Bowl player. If he was paid like a 10-TD a season guy then yes, we wouldn't have the desire to trade. Tavon is inconsistent. Considering his speed and change of direction ability, on punt returns,he calls Fair catch way too much when there's hardly anyone near him, and too many times tries to return when the coverage is on top of him.
Also, why aren't we questioning the salary of Mark Barron? ... 11-mil for this season? I like Mark Barron, but he is not a 10-Mil per season Linebacker.
I wish the Media would ask these questions at some of the press conferences. Snead and Demoff need to be held accountable. Instead they get softball questions at those conferences.
25-Mil is what Austin and Barron combined will be counting against the Cap this season. That is 16.5% of the Salary Cap being absorbed by just 2 players who are not even the most important on either side of the ball.
Like what @flv said, you are trading the contract as opposed to just the player.