Should Quick or Givens have been able to beat out Gibson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Per Bernie Miklasz:

I'm not about to label Rams draft choices Brian Quick and Chris Givens as "disappointments." They will have plenty of time to establish themselves as NFL wide receivers. That said, neither rookie could beat out a Rams incumbent to start at wide receiver for the season opener in Detroit. And when your team spends the No. 33 overall pick in the draft on a wideout (Quick), shouldn't he be better than what you already have? Quick has impressive size, and the fast Givens can fly. The last time I looked, the Rams didn't have much size or pure speed at the position.

But yes, I'll be patient. No two rookies are alike. Some need a little extra time to transition to the NFL. And in a related note, it's good to see WR Danny Amendola playing again. He'll be a real asset for Sam Bradford.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 6df0e.html

I think it's a lot to expect, personally. Gibson may not be a world beater at this point, but this is his third year, and it's perfectly feasible to think that Gibby would have more to offer at this point in their respective "careers." There's no way you could expect a receiver from App State to have developed an entire route tree, know the intricacies of playing in the NFL, or be a well rounded route runner.

I do expect Quick to surpass Gibson at some point, but it's not going to be this year. And Givens isn't the same TYPE of receiver as either one of those two. And no, I don't expect him to be putting Amendola on the sidelines just yet. I think Fisher will work those two into the lineup slowly, giving them specific patterns and routes - maybe up to 15-20 plays in the very near future - but neither are ready to supplant the receivers ahead of them right now.

IMO.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Re: Should Quick or Givens have been able to beat out Gibson

I'm not about to label Rams draft choices Brian Quick and Chris Givens as "disappointments."

Then why even say it? It's just stupid, he's not ready to "label" them as disappointments yet, but he's obviously thinking it. 4 preseason games under their belt and he sounds upset they're not Calvin Johnson. :roll:

Iron Lion

Starter

For what it's worth, we took your boy Broyles (who played with Bradford) in the 2nd round this year as well. He's not going to see much time and is the #4 WR but in reality he is also behind our top two TEs in terms of getting onto the field.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo

Hmmmm yea I stopped after the first paragraph and will not elaborate on that pathetic assessment, no offense to any who "enjoys" Weekend @ the same Bernie's commentary..pure shit for someone who is not an intern just starting out.

1. He's entering his 4th season
2. 6th rd pick via trade for low risk and still made our team as a starter.
3. Again entering only 4th season, some owwies as to be expected.
4. For what its worth I wanted to DX to overcome his knee/hamstring issues and beat out Gibby.
5. Like X said in a prior topic..execution,execution,execution from everyone w/ consistency. It's like we get ecstatic when we do reach the endzone since we've been deprived.
6.* There's a reason why Fish,Snead and Schotty kept Gibson...he earned it...now its up to him to take advantage.

504bfc0e9d29c9690f00001.jpg