Should Carolina rest starters?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ivera-unsure-whether-panthers-will-rest-stars

Even an undefeated team can't avoid the difficult questions.

The 13-0 Carolina Panthers have plowed over every opponent placed in front of them during the 2015 season. Having already clinched a first-round bye, coach Ron Rivera was treated to inquiries about whether he will rest star players as the season wanes or play for 16-0.

"I can't tell you what I'm going to do," Rivera said on Friday, via ESPN.com. "I can't tell you what my mindset is going to be. We're going to play each game and we'll play the players as necessary.

"It's about being smart down the stretch. Again, the ultimate goal is to win (the Super Bowl). But at the same time I've got to look at things, weigh things. But I don't know what I'm going to do."

Surely players and fans will want to go for an undefeated season and an attempt to match history. Don Shula is already on record saying he hopes the Panthers go undefeated and win the Super Bowl.

The Panthers need a win and an Arizona loss this week to clinch the NFC's No. 1 seed and home-field advantage leading up to the Super Bowl. Rivera will play his players until home field is clinched.

If that is accomplished this week or next, then Rivera will decide what to do about his stars.

"That's the hard thing,'' Rivera said when he gets asked about resting players. "Everybody wants to know now. I'll be honest with you -- I don't know. I really don't know what I'm going to do.

"I'm taking everything in, I'm listening, I'm trying to avoid as many of those discussions (as I can), but here we are discussing it again.''

After already seeing injuries to running back Jonathan Stewart (foot), which will keep him out at least this week, and corner Bene' Benwikere (out for season), you can't blame Rivera if he decides to bubble wrap his players before the postseason.

The rest of us, of course, will plead loudly for them to play and go for 16-0.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't think you do, IMO, if you have a chance for perfection you embrace it!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Go for the perfect record.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
He's not sure ??? Bullshit, he'll go for the perfect season if it's still there...I have no doubt...

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I could see it, too.

I would love to see the G-men pop the Panthers..I have more disdain for Newton and his ego and absolute lack of any respect for other teams...I recognize the guy's immense talent, I just have no use for the way he uses it...

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
No you don't take the chance for those players to do something special. They got this far they deserve to try and do something we don't see very often.And by playing them they won't get out of their routine,if its not broke don't fix it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Keep on playing Panthers.

Oher and a kid off the Rams practice squad starting at OT with a 2nd year undrafted FA at LG?
Tedd Ginn & Philly Brown starting at WR?

If these guys were starting for the Rams, most here would probably be looking for immediate replacements as they would be considered one of the main reasons for the teams non winning season.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Who cares?! I detest the friggin' panthers since the game in 2013 when they, and their fans acted like a herd of "tough" punks. Hope they lose out!

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
No they should not, they will have a bye week in the playoffs anyway for rest. I really think resting players at the end of the season does more harm than good. See Green Bay in 2011 and a bunch of others

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Yes they should. Let Cam ride the pine the rest of the season. If I make it past this playoff round in my $1k fantasy league the number 1 seed I play next week has him.