Should Austin Davis Still Be the Rams’ Man?/Thompson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Should Austin Davis Still Be the Rams’ Man?
By Brad Thompson

http://www.101sports.com/2014/11/11/austin-davis-still-rams-man/

The Rams suffered another tough loss on Sunday with an epic fourth- quarter collapse against the Arizona Cardinals. Starting quarterback Austin Davis had another rough day, throwing two late picks and coughing up a fumble to lead to a pair of defensive scores for the Cardinals and a quiet flight home for the Rams.

Davis’ performance had some, including myself, wondering if the Rams would contemplate a change at QB for this week’s matchup against the Denver Broncos. Head coach Jeff Fisher was asked that very question on Monday, and he provided a clear response: “No. He’s working real hard, so we’ll see where it goes.”

So, Davis has that going for him. Which is … nice?

Look, there’s no questioning Austin Davis’ work ethic. Or his ability to lead. This guy is a fighter who doesn’t quit. This is a guy who was a walk-on at Southern Mississippi. He tore it up and broke records held by the great Brett Favre. After all that success, it still left Davis undrafted. He signed as a free agent with the Rams in 2012.

He was released. Then he was picked up by the Dolphins’ practice squad … and released again.

Next: a stint as an assistant coach at Westminster Christian Academy before the Rams decided to bring him back for the 2014 campaign. It could’ve been easy for Davis to hang it up, or to not be prepared to take advantage of his second opportunity with St. Louis.

The chances of him even making the roster were, well, dicey. Franchise signal-caller Sam Bradford was coming back healthy, and the team had signed veteran Shaun Hill to be the backup. The Rams also spent a draft pick on another QB, Garrett Gilbert.

We all know what happened next. Two injuries later, Austin’s the starting quarterback for the Rams. He took an opportunity and has run with it, to the best of his ability. The question: Is his ability good enough?

The harsh reality is that Austin Davis, in the future, is probably not projected as an NFL starting quarterback. The Rams need a long-term answer at the position and, after watching Davis for the last 8 1/2, games, I think it’s fair to say that he’s just not the future.

Has the play around him been great? Absolutely not. I know the O-line has been shaky. His receivers haven’t played great. The Rams have failed to establish a great ground game to help him out, and the playcalling has been suspect. I get it.

Most of the time, however, you are what you are.

What is Austin Davis? He’s a hard worker, a great leader and a passionate player (which has been fun to watch). He’s a guy who can give you a chance to win a game, but in my opinion, he’s not an NFL starter. I do think, though, that with his opportunity and performance to this point, Austin Davis has prolonged his NFL career. Without everything that’s happened this season, he may not have gotten another shot in the league. I’d have to think that the Rams or many other teams would be interested in looking at Davis as a great option as a backup in the future. Again, that’s not a shot at Davis. There are thousands and thousands of quarterbacks who would kill to have the skill set and the opportunity that Davis has.

I hope I’m wrong. I hope that Austin Davis keeps his starting gig for the remainder of the year and lights it up. I hope the Rams have a tough decision regarding Davis come the offseason. I love the underdog story. I appreciate his passion and fight.

Davis has great opportunity to brush off his terrible fourth quarter against the Cardinals this past weekend. Peyton Manning and the Broncos are coming to town. A victory here would be quite a feather in the cap of No. 9. The Seahawks, 49ers and the Broncos?! Go get some, young man, and show the world what all the fuss was about just a couple of short months ago.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Hell no.

But I know from experience that is not enough for CGI, so he is not improving, or progressing as our QB.

He panicked at the 2nd play in the game, and I'd surmised we're fucked. Right there and then.
Imo, you can't play scared or what ever you want to call it...Bulgerized.....

There is no reason or ryme to do that at play in the 1st series. I think it was play #2 . To myself, I said "we're fucked ".

I haven't seen progressions in 3 games, and that's giving him street cred.

Personally, I'm done, and don't see that he can progress from here. Not hating, but seeing no bright side from him, from here.

Has anyone? Has he showed any hope, tell me, please.

Maybe, we are playing for a higher draft pick. I don't think we play Luke that, but is Davis our best chance of winning?

I don't think so, so maybe , Fish is playing for the draft pick. All I can say. Didn't think they'd ever do that, but.....anyone explain it to me.

Is that what we are doing?

I'm lost, because if I'm the coach, Davis is benched.

Sorry, drunk and frustrated.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Mods, please delete if you think it's too harsh or off point. I will not be offended.

I hope I'm wrong, but shit. I don't get it. He's not been a good QB for us. Let's win some games now. If not, lets win some games in the fuure. This includes Jones, Alexander, etc... if you are playing for the future. Do it. No more playing on the fence,.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It's weird how a 1st round pick QB can get 3 or 4 yrs to improve and earn a starter gig but an UDFA gets 9 games. Honestly I don't think Davis was ever really being considered as a long term solution at Rams Park. I think they view him as a very affordable long term #2 since he's a RFA. That's why they want him to play through these ups and downs.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
With a top defensive unit and a better oline this young man could probably manage the game enough for us to win.But there has been and will continue to be times that we need a better Qb that can put the team on his shoulders and take over the game.I was hoping Davis would succeed like everyone else but it is clear now he simply is not the answer. I do think that he would be a serviceable backup for a game or 2,so the game experience he is getting now will be valuable in the future for that role.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Mods, please delete if you think it's too harsh or off point. I will not be offended.

I hope I'm wrong, but crap. I don't get it. He's not been a good QB for us. Let's win some games now. If not, lets win some games in the fuure. This includes Jones, Alexander, etc... if you are playing for the future. Do it. No more playing on the fence,.
I think most people hope you are wrong if Fish is gonna keep playing him.
I think he's played well enough that if the rest of the team played well ,didn't put him in terrible situations to catch up or have to win the game he'd be adequate which for a first year starter is ........adequate .
I don't think he has star quality ,but I don't think by any NFL standards any of our QB's have proven they do and certainly not the guy you'd have to insert to replace him now.
I think Fisher has always played the guy he thought gave him the best chance to win and probably will continue to do so ,if he thinks the pressure of the opposing defenses has paralyzed Davis and he's shell shocked ,he'll yank the kid . Further Fisher isn't IMO the sort of coach who would tank a season especially this early for a higher draft choice nor is Stan Kroenke the kind of owner who would tolerate it . Maybe and only maybe a single game when the difference would be remarkable or for a player of dire need , but please consider the likelihood that the team would be lost and therefore what would be the payoff considering once you'd lost them you would probably not be able to get them back and any payoff for doing such a thing would accrue to your successor.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
It's weird how a 1st round pick QB can get 3 or 4 yrs to improve and earn a starter gig but an UDFA gets 9 games. Honestly I don't think Davis was ever really being considered as a long term solution at Rams Park. I think they view him as a very affordable long term #2 since he's a RFA. That's why they want him to play through these ups and downs.

I would agree with this....I haven't seen NFL starter stuff from him IMO, but it has been only 1/2 of 1 season...Over the second half the answer will become a little more definitive...Don't think the answer will be absolutely set in stone at that point though...I still have the same questions I had early on...His mediocre arm strength, decision making and field vision can be a real problem down the road...I just don't see what going to Hill now would accomplish, except to extend even further the time needed to decide whether or notDavis can make enough strides to be at least a very competent back up if not a starter...RAMbling diatribe, eh ?? (Does anybody else here speak fluent Canuck ???)

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I know I've beat this drum before in other threads, but I think Hill only plays if Fisher decides Davis is not viable for any role next year. I don't think they want him as a 3rd, they can draft a low round guy for that with a better physical upside.

fearsomefour

Legend
Agreed. It is all about perception and money. That is why I dont think bringing Davis back is a hard choice at all. He is a RFA and will not cost a lot. What is the risk? He can compete for a spot next year.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Davis needs to have some success to build on, and it does not look like things are going to get next week. Denver's D is probably even better than their #5 ranking in total yards. Their 3.2 ypc rush defense and 67 yard per game are both tops in the NFL, which means the Rams will likely need to pass to succeed. But Denver's opposing QB rating of 82.9 is 9th best including 10 INTs which is tied for 7th and 24 sacks which ties for 10th. This will not be an easy game.

But AFTER that, they get Chargers / Raiders / Redskins which should be a little easier for Davis specifically. Their ranking for opposing QB ratings are 24th, 28th, 27th resp. These would be good weeks for Davis to really show his stuff and build some confidence back.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
For the year, yes. Too much danger with putting Hill in of having him suck worse, then you've completely lost the team.

Beyond this year, barring a huge reversion back to his earlier performance, no.