Sherrod Martin visiting with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The Rams addressed their need at safety by selecting T.J. McDonald in the third round of the draft, but they may not be done adding players at the position.

Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reports that free agent Sherrod Martin is visiting with St. Louis on Monday. It’s Martin’s second visit with a Missouri team this offseason after he met with the Chiefs earlier this offseason.

Martin started for the Panthers in 2010 and 2011 before moving into a reserve role last season. His year then ended early because of a torn ACL and MCL in early December, an injury that has surely limited his suitors the last few months and could keep him out into training camp and/or the regular season.

That’s likely part of what the Rams are interested in learning during their meeting with Martin. The team is awfully young at safety at this point and Martin would give them some experienced depth at the very least, but only if he’s healthy and that’s hardly a given after such a serious injury.

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/10/sherrod-martin-visiting-with-rams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... with-rams/</a>

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I don't want to read too much into this but a reasonable person might get the idea that the Rams aren't thrilled about what they have at safety.

Just saying.

This comes just when you guys had convinced me my fears about this were way overblown. :bummed:

lockdnram21

Legend
I dont know he probly want even be ready till after season start. its only 7 months since he was injured

A55VA6

Legend
Well considering Stewart's injury history.. I'm a little unsettled on the safety position as well. I wouldn't mind bringing in a veteran.

…..

Legend
albefree69 said:
I don't want to read too much into this but a reasonable person might get the idea that the Rams aren't thrilled about what they have at safety.

A reasonable person would conclude that the Rams are extremely young and unexperienced at that position, and its only vet influence was too expensive, thus released.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If the coaching staff is satisfied with anything they have and aren't always on the look out to add depth or upgrade a position, we should all be worried. These guys just don't strike me as the sit back and be comfortable types.

iced

albefree69 said:

Just saying.

This comes just when you guys had convinced me my fears about this were way overblown. :bummed:

one hopes its just a depth move

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Dog came back with a different reasonable answer:
A reasonable person would conclude that the Rams are extremely young and unexperienced at that position, and its only vet influence was too expensive, thus released.

I'd agree with that.

However, experience doesn't mean all that much to me. It's about the talent. If a guy can't pass defend the other guy then what good is experience? I certainly don't discount it completely but with the exception of a few positions like QB I think it's vastly overrated. I don't believe that they would be looking at a player who probably isn't even recovered from his injuries completely if they were confident in the talent they already had.

I hope you're conclusion is the correct one.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Mikell is still unsigned, no? Hopefully there's enough left after the rookies sign to squeeze out a deal for him.

Ive thought since the draft I hope we had enough to resign Mikell. Looking less and less likely that he'll be back. Which does worry me.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
ScotsRam thinking about re-signing one of last years disasters:
Mikell is still unsigned, no? Hopefully there's enough left after the rookies sign to squeeze out a deal for him.

Are you sure you want him back on the field? I thought he was the better of the starters we had last year but having said that, I still think he sucked. Add to that the fact that his skill set is actually one of the strong points of the ones we already have on the roster and I don't want him back even at the vet minimum.

nighttrain

Legend
albefree69 said:

Just saying.

i'm still not that worried, and neither are the Rams, or else they would be bringing in healthy players, ya think.
train

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
nighttrain with an alternate theory:
i'm still not that worried, and neither are the Rams, or else they would be bringing in healthy players, ya think.

The whiners signed Dahl. I think that's pretty much all you need to know about the quality of the vets out there we might think about bringing in. So no, I don't think that's a viable option even if our in house options aren't that good.

nighttrain

Legend
albefree69 said:
nighttrain with an alternate theory:

The whiners signed Dahl. I think that's pretty much all you need to know about the quality of the vets out there we might think about bringing in. So no, I don't think that's a viable option even if our in house options aren't that good.
If you are correct, Mikell as good as signed
train

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
nighttrain added:

If you are correct, Mikell as good as signed

Could be, but his skill set and age are against that happening. Injuries down the road might tip the scales in his favor though.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would to prefer to develop the young talent as much as possible. Darian Stewart starting early once again like last year with a injury that keeps him out! Upsetting! That mat be the reason we see this interest in Sherrod Martin of sudden to bring in some experience.

Issue is Fisher only selected ONE safety TJ in the draft. Yes @ the same time Fisher did make special efforts to sign several very good UDFA's like Cody Davis & Cannon Smith. In addition Fisher shifted his last seasons 5th corner who was active for 6 games Quintin Pointer to safety. Fisher also has two other second season safeties in Rod McLeod & Matt Daniels.

Here some info on Sherrod Martin. He was drafted in the 2nd rd by the Panthers in 2009. #59. His combine comments...Strengths: Good height and has a wiry, strong frame. ... Flies around the field. ... Gets to the opposite sideline in a hurry. ... His speed and coverage skills take away opponents' deep routes, allowing the defensive line to wreak havoc. ... Can work through trash and find the ball. ... Has nice length to wrap up in the open field. ... Despite his height, Martin has the low, smooth backpedal ... Has speed to blitz effectively from 10 yards out or close quickly on inside runs. ... Used as a gunner on punt returns. Weaknesses: ... Instincts are questionable and he will take bad angles to the ballcarrier. ... Gets sucked in on play-action. ... Is not a consistent tackler in space as he fails to break down, drops his head or tries to tackle the ballcarrier's shoulder pads. ... Not the physical force putting fear into receivers over the middle. ... Is only adequate against receiver blocks downfield. ... Redshirted in 2006 after having surgery on both shoulders (labrum) prior to spring practice. ... Missed four games in 2007 with broken bones in his left hand. ... Turned 24 during his senior season.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/player/sherrodmartin/71383/combine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/player/sherrodmartin/71383/combine</a>

Martin has a ton of questions right now. He was considered to be more corner than safety when he was drafted played deep free safety for the Panthers. He totaled out his knee last yr & may be more PUP material than solid game day ready. Martin is 29 yrs old and is at the crossroads here. If he is coming along on that knee and Fisher & Walton can gamble on him being ready early this season then I would hook him up on a one year deal.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5314/sherrod-martin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5314/sherrod-martin</a>

Fisher is having the same kind of issues with Matt Daniels knee too. It would appear that I feel & believe in Rod McLeod more than most. One other player who could figure in here @ safety is Trumaine Johnson. If rookies Steeples & McGee are bonified NFL material then they could team up with JJ & Cortland as the corners permitting Johnson to temporarily shift to safety to fill any needs until this rookie crop & rehabbers are fully healed until the bye.

nighttrain

Legend
The hire of Tim Walton making it all look better, this may be "hope" speaking, but Walton is good at what he does. Not to forget the main guy, Fisher, was a safety and knows a little about the position
train