Shaun Hill

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Haven't seen anyone talking about Hill's opening game as a Ram. As shaky as the o-line and defense were, my expectations for Hill were validated. Dude came in and just looked like a pro. I continue to be happy with this move by the Rams.

I liked how it looked on paper and I certainly liked the results against the Saints.

It's just the first preseason game but I'm so much more comfortable with the QB situation this year for the Rams. Hill's perfect for what the Rams say they want to do on offense and he's good enough to keep things going should Bradford get hurt. Clemens was a spark plug, inspirational guy who played above himself but Hill is a pro who could start if he had to.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He's still learning the offense, but he played well. His stat line is impressive.

RamBill

Legend
Rams have steady hand in Shaun Hill
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/10362/rams-have-steady-hand-in-shaun-hill

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- When St. Louis Rams starting quarterback Sam Bradford was lost to a season-ending knee injury in Week 7 last year, the team searched far and wide for quarterback help either to replace Bradford or provide competition at the position.

That search took them as far as exploratory phone calls to the representative of Brett Favre. Ultimately, the team settled on their best in-house option, Kellen Clemens. Clemens exceeded most expectations, though the Rams took steps to limit his risk and what they asked him to do.

When Clemens departed for San Diego in free agency, the Rams found themselves searching for a quarterback who, should Bradford suffer another injury, is capable of stepping in without them having to go on a wild goose chase.

Enter Shaun Hill.

Sean Hill
The Rams are counting on steady play from backup quarterback Sean Hill.
After pursuing him for a couple of weeks and even in previous seasons, the Rams finally snatched Hill away from the Detroit Lions in the offseason. Hill has wasted no time proving why the Rams coveted him.

Starting the preseason opener in place of Bradford, Hill went 5 of 7 for 84 yards and two touchdowns for a passer rating of 151.2.

“Well, we expect him to do that; that’s what he’s done for years," coach Jeff Fisher said. "(He) has a good feel for what we’re doing and a good sense for timing and throws a nice ball, a catchable ball. Five-for-7 and good control over what we were doing. That was pretty good, pretty good first effort for him.”

It's probably safe to say that Hill has been exactly what the Rams expected in more than just the preseason opener. The team gave him a one-year, $1.75 million deal in late March with the idea that he would be exactly the type of steady hand who would give them insurance in case of another Bradford injury.

Hill's history would indicate that's a role he's more than comfortable handling. He's never been a starter over the course of a full season, but has proved capable of stepping in when called. In 34 career games, he's thrown for 6,381 yards with 41 touchdowns and 23 interceptions, completing almost 62 percent of his passes.

For a starter, those numbers don't stand out much. But in a league where qualified backups are hard to find, that production is more than welcome for a No. 2.

“Shaun was in complete control," Fisher said. "(He comes) with a bunch of great experience as a backup quarterback that can win games for you."

Hill's experience has clearly engendered plenty of confidence in the preseason as the Rams have limited his reps in practice knowing he'll be ready when the games come around.

Entering his 13th season, Hill is also well aware of the value of the preseason for a backup quarterback.

“There’s still some learning for me and some comfort in the offense that needs to come," Hill said. "But that’s what the preseason is for and I’m very glad that they still have four preseason games. I know there’s been a lot of talk about pushing them back to two, but for young guys or any new guy to the team, having four preseason games is great just to get that experience.”

If all goes as planned, the Rams won't need to call on Hill this season and Bradford will play all 16 games. The best laid plans rarely pan out, but with Hill in tow, the Rams are better prepared should disaster strike again in 2014.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I totally agree.
His career numbers tell the exact same story that his Friday night game told.

If the worst was to happen, I can feel confident that our team with the way it's built could continue to win games.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I thought Hill looked great, I'm very happy with the pick up at the moment. If Sam goes down it would be a real tragedy but the backup position looks upgraded, imo. Well have to see if he keeps it up now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hill can spell Sam for a few games, but no question Sam is the bigger talent needed to go deep into the playoffs.

Here's hopping Sam stays healthy so he can prove it.

RamBill

Legend
Pat Kirwan, when talking about backup QB's, always asks the question: Can the guy go 2-2 for you if he has to play 4 games? That's what you're looking for at a minimum. Hill can do that.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Many of us posted after the signing how major of an upgrade Hill was over the affable Clemens. Even after some had posted how much the affable Clemens would be missed. In the end, Shaun Hill is a pro and gives the Rams one of the better back-up QB options in the National Football League!

Athos

Legend
We have ourselves a very competent back-up now who won't really lose you games. I bet we win some games CK lost last year with HIll.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'm surprised this guy never got the chance to start somewhere. He's thrown more TDs than INTs in his career, and as a pocket passer, that's the telling sign of a capable QB.
I'm glad we have him though!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm sure someone on that other board will post a "Hill should start over Bradford" thread. But in reality Bradford still is and still should be the guy. You don't promote a 34 year old over a guy who's started for 4 years and is 9 years younger unless you're giving up on the younger guy. And all indications are they aren't ready to throw in the towel on Bradford and believe he's still their guy going forward.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I'm sure someone on that other board will post a "Hill should start over Bradford" thread. But in reality Bradford still is and still should be the guy. You don't promote a 34 year old over a guy who's started for 4 years and is 9 years younger unless you're giving up on the younger guy. And all indications are they aren't ready to throw in the towel on Bradford and believe he's still their guy going forward.

His career number are better than Bradford's, if we're being analytical about things.