Shaun Hill vs Chargers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
20/29 for 220 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTS in his first game back.

Hill delivered everything we could hope to expect his first game back. Calm, fast decisions, long ball accuracy, zero sacks against an excellent pass rush. Some will say the O line played better but I would say Hill released faster and didn't need to scramble. We'll see.

He was definitely off a little at first. He floated one that TA jumped up and secured. Hit Britt on the first long ball but a little behind killing a possible TD. Just not quite right. Several that got there, but not good enough to get the extra yards. The WRs adjusted and made the catches.

Later, he was much better. That second long throw to Britt in stride is going to become familiar I think. The two clicked in TC and PS.

In the last 5 games, Chargers barely beat Oakland twice, lost to KC and Denver, and then were goosegged by Miami. Shutout. 37-0. They are averaging 13 points a game over the last 4 games. Even with Mathews back against Oakland, they only scored 13 at home.

There is a running theme here and it's that they can't score on good defenses.

My point being that this is another manageable game for Hill. Avoid the sacks, deliver the ball, stretch the field so Tre Mason can do his thing, get the Rams points. Chargers are not Denver on defense so this game should be higher scoring for the Rams. I have no problem with FGs the way the Rams D is playing.

Chargers have a suspect secondary. I expect at least one long TD to Britt and one to Bailey who will break free after the catch. Did you notice Bailey resurfaced last week? Hill likes Bailey. He has always thrown to Bailey more.

Notice that with Hill, GZ had 5 field goals. That's fantastic. He only had 10 the rest of the season. It tells me Hill was getting us to the 35 area. Sure, TDs would have been better, but Rams were on the other side of the field all game which is what Rams need.

My prediction for Hill is 250 yards, 2 TDs, 3 field goals, 1 INT, for the win.

Tre Mason will top 110 rushing and get a TD.

Britt will top 110 receiving and get a TD.

Bailey will top 100 all purpose and get a TD.

If TA or Cook scores, this will be a blowout.

Rams win 30 - 16.

It's forecast to be 68 and sunny on Sunday. Nice.

jjab360

Legend
Looked a little inaccurate at times and really struggled in the redzone, but a solid first full start for the old guy.

By far the most important part was he didn't turn the ball over, that's what really made the difference on Sunday.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hill was sacked three times against Denver. ;)

All I want from Hill is for him to protect the ball and throw catchable passes when the receivers get separation...that and not panic in the pocket or implode in the 4th quarter.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

All I want from Hill is for him to protect the ball and throw catchable passes when the receivers get separation...that and not panic in the pocket or implode in the 4th quarter.

I think he did that against Denver. He made some nice clutch throws but threw the ball away when nothing was there. Not a lot of flash but with Mason running well you don't really need flash. Many people thought the line played better. I wonder how much of that was Hill having better pocket presence. He didn't run into sacks like Davis, but there were times that he could have.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he did that against Denver. He made some nice clutch throws but threw the ball away when nothing was there. Not a lot of flash but with Mason running well you don't really need flash. Many people thought the line played better. I wonder how much of that was Hill having better pocket presence. He didn't run into sacks like Davis, but there were times that he could have.

A lot of it...that and the Broncos weren't bringing the house like teams have after Davis...because Hill is a veteran QB that can exploit that.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
20/29 for 220 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTS in his first game back.

Hill delivered everything we could hope to expect his first game back. Calm, fast decisions, long ball accuracy, zero sacks against an excellent pass rush. Some will say the O line played better but I would say Hill released faster and didn't need to scramble. We'll see.

He was definitely off a little at first. He floated one that TA jumped up and secured. Hit Britt on the first long ball but a little behind killing a possible TD. Just not quite right. Several that got there, but not good enough to get the extra yards. The WRs adjusted and made the catches.

Later, he was much better. That second long throw to Britt in stride is going to become familiar I think. The two clicked in TC and PS.

In the last 5 games, Chargers barely beat Oakland twice, lost to KC and Denver, and then were goosegged by Miami. Shutout. 37-0. They are averaging 13 points a game over the last 4 games. Even with Mathews back against Oakland, they only scored 13 at home.

There is a running theme here and it's that they can't score on good defenses.

My point being that this is another manageable game for Hill. Avoid the sacks, deliver the ball, stretch the field so Tre Mason can do his thing, get the Rams points. Chargers are not Denver on defense so this game should be higher scoring for the Rams. I have no problem with FGs the way the Rams D is playing.

Chargers have a suspect secondary. I expect at least one long TD to Britt and one to Bailey who will break free after the catch. Did you notice Bailey resurfaced last week? Hill likes Bailey. He has always thrown to Bailey more.

Notice that with Hill, GZ had 5 field goals. That's fantastic. He only had 10 the rest of the season. It tells me Hill was getting us to the 35 area. Sure, TDs would have been better, but Rams were on the other side of the field all game which is what Rams need.

Tre Mason will top 110 rushing and get a TD.

Britt will top 110 receiving and get a TD.

Bailey will top 100 all purpose and get a TD.

If TA or Cook scores, this will be a blowout.

Rams win 30 - 16.

It's forecast to be 68 and sunny on Sunday. Nice.

That was so compelling, I feel like I don't need to watch the game now.

In fact, I will begin celebrations tonight!

:party::rockon::cheers:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

And that's exactly what he gave the Rams on Sunday...He's probably not the guy to bring a team back from 21 down, but he sure did what he was supposed to last weekend...The biggest difference (without beating up Austin Davis) is that he didn't get rattled and make bad decisions...I don't remember (they may have been there) a throw that was really close to an int...Really liked the way he handled himself and the team...Nicely done...Can't imagine they would given the recent (and long-term) past, but this team can't read too many of the press clippings about how unstoppable this D is..They have to bring the same attitude, mean streak (our crew at safety) and constant motor running at Max Q...Roll the 'Bolts...Make us happy campers again this Sunday...BTW, I bet the Charger coaches didn't come to the same conclusions as some of their fans, those who looked at year-long stats and determined that the Ram defense wasn't very good... Don't know if they would admit it, but I bet they're not looking forward to seeing this team on Sunday..

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Looked a little inaccurate at times and really struggled in the redzone, but a solid first full start for the old guy.

By far the most important part was he didn't turn the ball over, that's what really made the difference on Sunday.

Yeah several of his throws were a little behind and guys MADE plays for him , I said before that game either of our QB's would win a 13- 10 game ,Hill got a defensive gem of a game ,had our defense limited every team to 7 points we'd probably be undefeated with Johnny Hekker at QB.
That said , Hill did lend a veteran presence, was cool under fire only had one throw I remember that made me scratch my head, didn't lose it for us , which after Bradford went down is all I really thought we'd be able to really count on from either QB.

Like was said before teams come after young QB's and I think Davis might benefit from getting his head above water for a week or two so I'm confident IF we need him to come back in ,he can still give us some quality play ,this doesn't have to be a Davis sucks and Hill is the second coming or vice versa, both these guys have proven they can win against top flight opponents .
The two throws to Britt, served notice and loosened up the run for us IMO

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I concur and I love his "Aw Shucks" attitude the plaid shirt and blue jeans attire after the Bronco game was priceless....He has since of calm about him that the team feeds off. Feel very strongly about Hill the rest of the way.

Hill reminds me of the Quarterbacks of yesteryear, he has a Joe Kappesque quality about him...Helmet does not fit right looks out of shape, but is a good athlete. In fact in looks he reminds me of Mac Davis in North Dallas Forty.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Considering where Hill makes his home, he has to be a regular dude with not much ego! Laid back guy, I'd say! Sam seems to be the same sort of guy! Hope he's with the team a long time. Sam that is!

If our D continues to put our QB in a position where he doesn't need to do anything, then I don't mind who's at QB, it will be interesting if there comes a time where one throw isn't enough to win the game.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
If this is our defense for the rest of the season, I think Hill will have a much easier time winning games. I have a feeling that our running game is going to take off. It's getting late in the season, players are getting tired and worn down and all of our backs basically have "fresh legs".

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If our D continues to put our QB in a position where he doesn't need to do anything, then I don't mind who's at QB, it will be interesting if there comes a time where one throw isn't enough to win the game.

o_O He threw twenty.... the score was three times... nm.

Here's to another big win however they do it! (y)

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Anyone else catch the Hill interview after the game? He said that he felt when they were playing Arizona that this team was getting ready to reel off some wins. Then I think after the game Britt mentioned the P word. I'd love to see them finish 10-6 and hope the pieces fall in place.

The team looks to be firing on all cylinders.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

If Shaun Hill kicks 3 field goals this Sunday, I say sign him long term and gain a roster spot by releasing Legatron!! :cool:

I think the long ball needs work and will hopefully get better with the extra reps, but loved his quick release and pocket awareness.