Shaun Hill Scouting Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ViperLjs

Rookie
So I sat down and watched the Lions games from 2010, while Hill was starting, and I think I have a pretty good feel for what to expect out of him.

-Displays excellent touch and anticipation on his throws
-Generally very accurate
-More mobile than you would think by looking at him; displays good awareness of the pocket and where the defenders are, and is agile enough to escape pressure consistently and avoid sacks.
-Will take off and run when he sees an opening, and has better than average speed for a QB.
-Bit of a gunslinger; he's unafraid of putting the ball up and letting his receivers go up and get it, but occasionally makes a "dangerous" throw when he shouldn't. He generally makes good decisions with the ball, however, and will throw it away if he has to.
-Arm strength is below average. Displays loft on almost every pass, no matter the distance, and does not show the ability to "gun it" on a line. This becomes especially noticeable on the goal line, where the passing windows are small. Because of this, he uses fades a lot.
-Despite his arm strength issues, he displays the ability to throw the deep bomb with accuracy. He is not the best at deep outs and corner routes, however.

All in all, I've come away very impressed by what I've seen. There are worse quarterbacks that are starting in the league right now than Shaun Hill. He may not be a top 10 QB, but he looks like someone we can absolutely win with. This is not Kellen Clemens, part deux.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
So I sat down and watched the Lions games from 2010, while Hill was starting, and I think I have a pretty good feel for what to expect out of him.

-Generally very accurate
-More mobile than you would think by looking at him; displays good awareness of the pocket and where the defenders are, and is agile enough to escape pressure consistently and avoid sacks.
-Will take off and run when he sees an opening, and has better than average speed for a QB.
-Bit of a gunslinger; he's unafraid of putting the ball up and letting his receivers go up and get it, but occasionally makes a "dangerous" throw when he shouldn't.
-Arm strength is below average. Displays loft on almost every pass, no matter the distance, and does not show the ability to "gun it" on a line. This becomes especially noticeable on the goal line, where the passing windows are small. Because of this, he uses fades a lot.
-Despite his arm strength issues, he displays the ability to throw the deep bomb with accuracy. He is not the best at deep outs and corner routes, however.

All in all, I've come away very impressed by what I've seen. There are worse quarterbacks that are starting in the league right now than Shaun Hill. He may not be a top 10 QB, but he looks like someone we can absolutely win with. This is not Kellen Clemens, part deux.

So, as long as we have a strong goal line running game, it will shield him from exposing one of his greater weaknesses?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

-Generally very accurate
-Bit of a gunslinger; he's unafraid of putting the ball up and letting his receivers go up and get it, but occasionally makes a "dangerous" throw when he shouldn't. He generally makes good decisions with the ball, however, and will throw it away if he has to.

Sounds about right from what I've seen, and remember.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
fast forward 4 years lets see. Good thing we got three big bodies to catch it. Contested balls for everyone! guess he'll really be putting that preseason hype to the test

fearsomefour

Legend

-Generally very accurate

Because my son is a Lions fan I watched at least pieces of pretty much every game when Hill was playing with the Lions. He is a good QB. I have been surprised he has not been a starter, but, I think that comes down to his arm strength issues. Anticipation and timing can make up for many weaknesses. This is what made Warner so good, Kurt did not have a true cannon either. I was very happy when the Rams signed him and while I really liked Clemons moxie and effort he does not have the skill set of Hill.
I do like the idea of having a QB that trusts our big, physical WRs and will give them the opportunity to make some plays. As for throwing the deep ball....that again usually comes down to timing. Throwing to a spot downfield....unless you are Favre you arent waiting until your WR is 40 yards downfield to uncork it.
There is a lot more than arm strength to playing NFL QB. I always liked Hill with Detroit. I was bummed when Bradford went down because the team has been reshaped to be competitive for years to come and he was certainly part of it, but, for this year (and maybe beyond) the Rams can win with Hill.
I expect teams to blitz him early like you would a rookie and expect him to make them pay....a good read beats a good blitz every time.

fearsomefour

Legend
That's actually a really good comp for him.
Pennington is not a bad comparison, although, I think Hill has more in his arm than Chad. The Brad Johnson comparison is not bad. Both tall QBs with a little more mobility than you would expect. Good vet QBs who were smart but with some arm limitations.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He sorta reminds me of former Jets QB Chad Pennington.:whistle:

Kind of. Not as accurate. Chad had rare accuracy...like HOF caliber accuracy. Just a shame he suffered all those injuries early in his career.