Shaun Hill savors first win since 2010/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Shaun Hill savors first win since 2010
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/13795/shaun-hill-savors-first-win-since-2010

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Quarterback Shaun Hill likely figured his first win as the St. Louis Rams starting quarterback would have come weeks ago, possibly even in Week 1 against the Minnesota Vikings.

But when a thigh injury near the end of the first half of that game put Hill on the sideline for a couple of weeks, Austin Davis claimed the job as his own for the ensuing eight games. So Hill's wait lasted longer than he or anyone could have expected. But it finally arrived Sunday when the Rams beat the Denver Broncos 22-7.

In fact, his last victory as a starter came in the final week of the 2010 season, Jan. 2, 2011. For those that prefer not to do the math, that means that Hill's wins came 1,415 days apart (including Sunday). Making it even sweeter for Hill was that it came with Peyton Manning playing quarterback on the other side.

That alone might make it one of the most memorable wins of Hill's career, the kind he'll someday tell his children and grandchildren about.

“I might someday, to be honest with you," Hill said. "That might happen. My son was at the game. This is the first game he’s been to that I’ve started and finished. That was kind of important too for me when I just thinking about coming into this season. I was like, ‘Man, he’s nine months old I’d really like for me to have some pictures of myself and him in this job. I don’t know how long I’ll be playing. It was important for me to come back and be able to do it some during his life.”

In his first start since the season opener, Hill gave the Rams exactly what they wanted from the quarterback position after coach Jeff Fisher made the change back to Hill last week. The hope was that Hill could manage the game, not turn it over and take advantage of big play opportunities when they were presented.

Hill checked off all of those boxes with no giveaways and 220 yards for a rating of 102.7. That included a 63-yard touchdown pass to receiver Kenny Britt that was perfectly thrown and offered the very definition of taking advantage of an opportunity for a big play. He even showed a knack for evading pressure with his feet and finding receivers to keep drives going.

"Not only did he find Kenny and make big plays to Kenny, but he extended some drives," Fisher said. "Time of possession is so important and to find the bck and find the check down. And then the guys, we didn’t have any drops per se. We just kept drives alive and that helps you in that effort. What is pleasing to this football team right now is that we had a plan and we went out and executed from start to finish. How do you beat Peyton Manning and this outstandingly coached football team and how do you attack this defense that again is ranked again as one of the top five? So we had a plan and it worked.”

Now it's Hill's job to keep it going.