Shaun Hill before he came to the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Big Unit

UDFA
I take no pride of authorship on this; but want to share the information from an excellent post on another Rams forum. The poster at length reviewed Shaun Hill's career in the NFL. If accurate - Hill spent almost 5 full years in the NFL before throwing his first pass. After that:

In games started and finished by Shaun Hill, his teams' record was 16 wins, 12 losses.
In games started and/or finished by any QB other than Shaun Hill, his teams' record was 16 wins, 33 losses.

Currently, the Rams are 3-1 since naming Hill as starting QB.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
That is very interesting if true. Makes you wonder why he was never able to be a full time starter if that's the case.

Big Unit

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is very interesting if true. Makes you wonder why he was never able to be a full time starter if that's the case.
Agreed. According to the original post, Mike Martz was offensive coordinator for the 49ers in 2008; started Hill the second half of the year, now not regrets starting him earlier. Then in 2009, after Martz is let go, he starts a couple games, then is replaced by the Niners' #1 pick, Alex Smith. Then to Detroit, where Matthew Stafford has started.

Big Unit

UDFA
Agreed. According to the original post, Mike Martz was offensive coordinator for the 49ers in 2008; started Hill the second half of the year, now not regrets starting him earlier. Then in 2009, after Martz is let go, he starts a couple games, then is replaced by the Niners' #1 pick, Alex Smith. Then to Detroit, where Matthew Stafford has started.
Should read "...now regrets not starting him earlier." Sorry

RamzFanz

Damnit
Trivia I did not know:

"During week 11 of the 2008 NFL season, Hill broke his career single-game passing record in yards, in a 35-16 victory over the St. Louis Rams by throwing for 213 yards and 2 touchdowns and running for a third. He was awarded NFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance."

Or this:

"Hill delivered an impressive come-back performance in Week 16 against the St. Louis Rams. After throwing three interceptions in the first three quarters, 49ers coaches Mike Singletary and Mike Martz were preparing to bench Hill for J.T. O'Sullivan. Hill convinced his coach to leave him in the game and then led the 49ers on an 80-yard drive, finishing with a touchdown pass to Isaac Bruce for his 1000th career reception. Now down 16-10 and under three minutes left on the clock, Hill got the ball back and completed a 48-yard touchdown pass to Josh Morgan. The 49ers defense intercepted Marc Bulger ending any chance of a Rams comeback and capping Hill's first big late-game rally win."

Hill to Bruce for the win. LOL. :palm:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There is a lengthy and detailed post on the Herd that has a lot of good info.

RamzFanz

Damnit

Mike Martz on Shaun Hill: “I underestimated his ability” in San Francisco

Should have started all season.

Great with a weak O line.

The only guy I under-estimated in my career. ( I disagree, he underestimated Warner)

Advice for Schotty? Trust Shaun Hill. I guess they didn't hear this.

I can't but help thinking Fisher did the same thing and is having regrets right about now.

View: https://soundcloud.com/101sports/mike-martz-on-shaun-hill-i

Last edited:

Big Unit

UDFA
Trivia I did not know:

"During week 11 of the 2008 NFL season, Hill broke his career single-game passing record in yards, in a 35-16 victory over the St. Louis Rams by throwing for 213 yards and 2 touchdowns and running for a third. He was awarded NFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance."

Or this:

"Hill delivered an impressive come-back performance in Week 16 against the St. Louis Rams. After throwing three interceptions in the first three quarters, 49ers coaches Mike Singletary and Mike Martz were preparing to bench Hill for J.T. O'Sullivan. Hill convinced his coach to leave him in the game and then led the 49ers on an 80-yard drive, finishing with a touchdown pass to Isaac Bruce for his 1000th career reception. Now down 16-10 and under three minutes left on the clock, Hill got the ball back and completed a 48-yard touchdown pass to Josh Morgan. The 49ers defense intercepted Marc Bulger ending any chance of a Rams comeback and capping Hill's first big late-game rally win."

Hill to Bruce for the win. LOL. :palm:
Ugh - to Isaac Bruce? For his 1,000th reception? That's just WRONG!

RamzFanz

Damnit
Ugh - to Isaac Bruce? For his 1,000th reception? That's just WRONG!

And FOR the Niners. Wrong on so many levels.

Now that I think about it though, I remember that game because it was in St. Louis and the Rams gave him a standing O because we stay classy.

RamzFanz

Damnit
That's the post I was referring to, Les; wasn't sure about board rules regulating reference to other boards. Thanks.

I don't think ROD cares about links to other boards. I see them all the time. I'm not speaking for them though.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Currently, the Rams are 3-1 since naming Hill as starting QB

And he had us in position to win in SD . . . then made a bonehead play . . . kills me

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That's the post I was referring to, Les; wasn't sure about board rules regulating reference to other boards. Thanks.

Ram43 posts stuff from here on the Herd all the time so you could copy the entire thing here. I was going to earlier but didn't. As long as the original poster gets credit it should all be good.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Currently, the Rams are 3-1 since naming Hill as starting QB

And he had us in position to win in SD . . . then made a bonehead play . . . kills me

Had us in a position to win a couple of times then made a bonehead play.

Fixed it. (y)

Last edited:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm really looking at just keeping the QB's we have now. I'd like to draft a mid round guy over Davis, though.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have spoken to Detroit fans, that were not happy losing Shaun Hill. I have to man up here..I have said here and elsewhere that "there is a reason why Shaun hill is a back up". I said it recently after the INT to lose the Chargers game. I may have made a mistake here...I still don't know if he is our permanent starting QB, but I like it when he shows the ability to selectively push the ball down the field. He is much more confident than Sam Bradford that way. He MAY be the best option in 2015, by being a good game manager to go along with a terrifying, soul crushing Rams Defense. I would be comfortable letting Sam go to his next team, and drafting a 2nd or 3rd round QB, and let Shaun Hill lead us.....

RamzFanz

Damnit
I have spoken to Detroit fans, that were not happy losing Shaun Hill. I have to man up here..I have said here and elsewhere that "there is a reason why Shaun hill is a back up". I said it recently after the INT to lose the Chargers game. I may have made a mistake here...I still don't know if he is our permanent starting QB, but I like it when he shows the ability to selectively push the ball down the field. He is much more confident than Sam Bradford that way. He MAY be the best option in 2015, by being a good game manager to go along with a terrifying, soul crushing Rams Defense. I would be comfortable letting Sam go to his next team, and drafting a 2nd or 3rd round QB, and let Shaun Hill lead us.....

If Rams win out, we may be hearing a lot more of that.

Me? No way. I would keep Bradford if possible and sign Hill to a nice 2 year to help train up a rookie and Bradford and as an excellent backup.

If you start Hill and he gets hurt what have you got? This coming season is the one you simply can't not have a line of QBs.

The other side of the coin is if he wins out, can we even stop him from leaving and being a #1 somewhere?

Last edited:

Big Unit

UDFA

Me? No way. I would keep Bradford if possible and sign Hill to a nice 2 year to help train up a rookie and Bradford and as an excellent backup.

If you start Hill and he gets hurt what have you got? This coming season is the one you simply can't not have a line of QBs.

The other side of the coin is if he wins out, can we even stop him from leaving and being a #1 somewhere?

In a perfect world, I'd: Sign Shaun Hill to a two-year contract; have Bradford fully recover, and agree to a reduced contract for next year; and draft a QB prospect wherever the Rams deem appropriate - even if that's one round higher than the prospect is projected.

I think Bradford's injury has been to his left knee. Mike Martz says that's less significant than an injury to the right, plant knee. (He should know; seems to consider QBs either indestructible, or expendable.)

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Love Shaun Hill and always have. that said, I do not see him going anywhere and getting paid as a #1. He is more valuable to a team like us than anyone. We are built on defense and have enough playmakers on offense to beat most teams using a conservative game plan with a good game managing QB who doesn't make mistakes. Sign him NOW to a 2 year deal and then work on Sam next. I think we need BOTH going into next year.