Shane's 7 on Week 1 Win: Bradford, Soft D, TE's etc -101ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

1. The TEs

The St. Louis Rams could not have expected a better opening-week performance from the tight end duo of Jared Cook and Lance Kendricks.

Combined, Cook and Kendricks compiled 10 receptions for 166 yards and two touchdowns. Cook, the Rams’ prime free-agent acquisition from Tennessee, posted seven receptions for 141 yards and two touchdowns. His spectacular outing was the best by a tight end in franchise history. Other than his fumble of a would-be TD, Cook’s day was almost faultless.

“Near perfect, with the exception (of the fumble),” Fisher said in regard to Cook’s St. Louis debut. “That’s why he’s here. We’ve got an accurate passer that can find him and he can make plays with the ball. He’s outstanding.”

That accurate passer, Sam Bradford, obviously benefitted from Cook’s presence on Sunday. Bradford has quickly developed a fabulous rapport with his hybrid tight end/de facto wideout.

“It’s great,” Bradford said of having Cook on board. “Obviously, he made some huge plays for us out there today. We’ve seen him do it all training camp, so I don’t think it surprised anyone, and I expect him to keep playing like that. He’s going to help us tremendously this year.”

2. Daryl Richardson

In his first day stepping into the giant footsteps of Rams all-time leading rusher Steven Jackson, second-year back Daryl Richardson performed reasonably well, amassing 63 ground yards and 33 yards receiving. In all, Richardson produced 96 all-purpose yards.

Although his 63 rushing yards would hardly constitute a breakout day, over a 16-game schedule that average would put Richardson on pace to rack up over 1,000 yards.

All things considered, it was a nice day for the explosive second-year runner.

“I thought Daryl did great today,” Bradford said Sunday. “Like I said, I think they threw a lot of different looks at us. I think he showed that he has matured a lot since last year, both in his ability to run the football and to pick up blitzes. I’m extremely proud of him and I’m excited for what this year is going to be for him.”

3. Tavon Austin

(Hope you all enjoy the rest of the piece on the soft D, offensive approach, Robert Quinn and Sam Bradford with several quotes and analysis):

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/09/11/rams-vs-cardinals-shanes-seven-week-1-win/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/09/11/ram ... eek-1-win/</a>

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Shane's 7 on Week 1 Win: Bradford, Soft D, TE's etc -101

... more on Robert Quinn and the Rams approach on offense as well...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I don't know how much access you have to detailed stats Shane but I'm curious how many times Cook lined up as a TE versus outside or in the slot. He is as you say essentially a WR and I'm wondering how many times they lined him up that way.

Does anyone know the answer?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

Good stuff as usual Shane.
Your takes on the soft D and the bland O are spot on and I sure wish they weren't. Are you basing your comments about us not deviating from the soft D for at least one more game based on something concrete or just what you surmise will happen?

ShaneG

Starter

LesBaker said:
I don't know how much access you have to detailed stats Shane but I'm curious how many times Cook lined up as a TE versus outside or in the slot. He is as you say essentially a WR and I'm wondering how many times they lined him up that way.

Does anyone know the answer?

I will check into that Les, thanks. He was lined up outside a lot but the should have been TD -- if you recall -- was from a traditional TE spot.

ShaneG

Starter

albefree69 said:
Your takes on the soft D and the bland O are spot on and I sure wish they weren't. Are you basing your comments about us not deviating from the soft D for at least one more game based on something concrete or just what you surmise will happen?

No, not based on anything concrete from coaches because -- as you can imagine -- game plan details are tightly under wraps during the regular season.

But looking back at the track record of this approach for over a year and then looking at the Falcons potent skill position players, I don't see this as the week where we see many changes here.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

Hi Shane,

Another good article, thank you.

I'm wondering with the soft coverage, are we also trying to protect our young safeties with that scheme as well?

What do you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

nighttrain

Legend

ShaneG said:
albefree69 said:

No, not based on anything concrete from coaches because -- as you can imagine -- game plan details are tightly under wraps during the regular season.

But looking back at the track record of this approach for over a year and then looking at the Falcons potent skill position players, I don't see this as the week where we see many changes here.
Atlanta a real test for our Rams, and i agree our D will will play back, just too much offense to play it otherwise this soon
train

ShaneG

Starter

Rambitious1 said:
Hi Shane,

I'm wondering with the soft coverage, are we also trying to protect our young safeties with that scheme as well?

What do you think?

Big thank you, Rambitious1.

As for the coverage, part of it is due to having two new starters with extremely limited experience. That is certainly one aspect.

Another is that we saw a lot of it last year. I do expect to see less of it as the year goes on, but I doubt it changes too much this week when considering what the Falcons offense brings to the table.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

ShaneG said:
Rambitious1 said:
Hi Shane,

What do you think?

As for the coverage, part of it is due to having two new starters with extremely limited experience. That is certainly one aspect.

Another is that we saw a lot of it last year. I do expect to see less of it as the year goes on, but I doubt it changes too much this week when considering what the Falcons offense brings to the table.

I'm bummed at the prospect of more of this.

I mean... I'm surprised the Cardinals didn't exploit this more. They could have passed for 5+ yards every play against our off-coverage. Terrible. I don't know what Walton was watching.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

CGI_Ram said:
ShaneG said:
Rambitious1 said:
Hi Shane,

What do you think?

I'm bummed at the prospect of more of this.

I mean... I'm surprised the Cardinals didn't exploit this more. They could have passed for 5+ yards every play against our off-coverage. Terrible. I don't know what Walton was watching.

I agree.
It was very frustrating......especially for me as some of us know.
:lol: