Shanahan explains the play he regrets the most from the Falcons' Super Bowl loss

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is still painful to me. I CANT IMAGINE being a Falcons fan. They blew it. Plain and simple.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/k...ts-the-most-from-the-falcons-super-bowl-loss/

Shanahan explains the play he regrets the most from the Falcons' Super Bowl loss

Remember when the Falcons blew a 25-point lead to the Patriots in the second half of the Super Bowl? New 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan still does.

Shanahan, who served as the Falcons' offensive coordinator in that game, recently appeared "The Rich Eisen Show" when he admitted to thinking about that game "a lot." When he was asked if there was one play in particular he regretted the most, Shanahan answered honestly.

"There's no doubt," Shanahan said. "The second-and-10 that we got sacked on. I wish I had dialed something up differently."

The play he's talking about occurred with roughly four minutes remaining in the game. At that point, the Falcons still held an eight-point lead with the ball. Most importantly, they were already in field-goal range at the 23-yard line. All the Falcons had to do was run some clock and kick a field goal to take a two-score advantage. If they had done that, they likely would've won the Super Bowl.

Instead, Shanahan called for a pass and Matt Ryan took an unforgivable sack, which pushed them to the edge of field goal range.

mattryansacksb.gif

NFL GamePass

On the next play, the Falcons were called for holding, which pushed them completely out of range. Ryan fired incomplete on third down, which led to a punt, which led to the Patriots driving down the field for the game-tying touchdown and two-point conversion. The Patriots won the game on the first possession of overtime.

So, before we move on, let's not forget that Ryan also deserves blame for taking the sack. Shanahan could've negated the risk by simply running the ball, but he also trusted his quarterback to make a smart play. Ryan didn't do that, of course.

"I'm doing alright," Shanahan also said. "I can handle it."

He has plenty of reasons to be happy now. He turned the Falcons' incredible offensive explosion last year -- for which Matt Ryan won regular-season MVP -- into his first head-coaching gig.

Sure, the 49ers are probably a year or two (or three or four) away from competing due to the state of their roster (bad), but they are coming off a great first offseason. The 49ers, whose front office is led by first-time GM John Lynch, swindled the Bears into giving up way too much for the No. 2 pick in the draft, and then they still managed to draft two top defensive talents in Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster.

Shanahan doesn't have a quarterback like Ryan to work with yet, but they could get one in next year's loaded draft. Or they could find a way to sign Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins, who was connected to the team this offseason.

The point being, life for Shanahan isn't too bad. One doomed play call can't change that.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You fucking cocksucker shanahan. Your idiocy in the crunch time let those fucking cheats off the hook.

Btw, how fucking lucky are those cheating picks in superbowls. The opposition always seem to do something stupid at the death to give them the win.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

You freaking corksocker shanahan. Your idiocy in the crunch time let those freaking cheats off the hook.

Btw, how freaking lucky are those cheating picks in superbowls. The opposition always seem to do something stupid at the death to give them the win.

Yeah, it would be a much different legacy had Seattle and Atlanta finished smart.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yeah, it would be a much different legacy had Seattle and Atlanta finished smart.

I despise the Patriots more than anyone and I concur with your assessment, but have to play them 4 quarters and in fact, maybe 4 1/2 quarters because it does not matter what the score is, they keep coming. Falcons kept running the ball outside and did not run it up the gut, plus they lost Tevin Coleman who runs between the tackles better than Devonta Freeman and the Falcons where getting absolutely no where running the ball, but they should have gone with quick passes or even screens to stay in FG range.

Oh well, rooting against the Patriots is exhausting over the years and that Super Bowl took so much out of me and FWIW's this year, their team is even better this year they truly are in every since of the word, the evil empire.

BTW there have only been two defensive coordinators that have devised defenses to stop Tom Brady and his bunch Steve Spagnuolo and Wade Phillips. Well, Rams had Spags and he was not a Head Coach, but now the Rams have the premier defensive coordinator in the NFL a defense that led a team over the Patriots and to an impressive Super Bowl victory so let's hope that is what Wade will be building in tinsel town.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I hate the Cheatriots pretty bad too. The 4th qtr of the SB was bulls:rant:t and I changed channels a few plays after that dumb sack.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
So, before we move on, let's not forget that Ryan also deserves blame for taking the sack. Shanahan could've negated the risk by simply running the ball, but he also trusted his quarterback to make a smart play. Ryan didn't do that, of course.

This is incorrect and it's taking some of the blame and putting it on Ryan when he actually couldn't do a thing.

All the talk about why he didn't just throw it away is dumb. Watch his location during the play. If he throws away it is an OBVIOUS intentional grounding call on him. So it would have been a loss of down plus the 10 yards. Most likely the Patriots would take the penalty since it's 12 yards for the sack versus 10 for the penalty. This was a complete no win for ATL and the responsibility goes directly to three people. The OC who should have run the ball two times and kicked the game icing FG and the two guys on the OL who let the defender get through their double team.

Notice that the pressure comes at the exact moment he sets his feet, so he is at a stop essentially and the defender pops through the double team at the LOS, literally splitting it perfectly, and he has nowhere to go. Plus his check down was totally covered.

There was nothing Ryan could do, this was checkmate.

You raise a good point..........and do you wonder if Brady would have a different label if he lost those two games?

He would be 3-4 in Super Bowls and the two MVP's he won in those games would have gone to Ryan and one of a couple of different choices for the Seahawks, probably Lynch since he would have scored the game winner from the 1 yard line.

Maybe there is that lingering "sometimes folds under pressure" but in the ATL and SEA games he did play well. It's a good debate.

fearsomefour

Legend
He took two sacks to take them out of FG range.
How times did the clock stop in 4th quarter because Falcon players were down after plays? Four or five?
Choke city.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is still painful to me. I CANT IMAGINE being a Falcons fan. They blew it. Plain and simple.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/k...ts-the-most-from-the-falcons-super-bowl-loss/

Remember when the Falcons blew a 25-point lead to the Patriots in the second half of the Super Bowl? New 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan still does.

Shanahan, who served as the Falcons' offensive coordinator in that game, recently appeared "The Rich Eisen Show" when he admitted to thinking about that game "a lot." When he was asked if there was one play in particular he regretted the most, Shanahan answered honestly.

"There's no doubt," Shanahan said. "The second-and-10 that we got sacked on. I wish I had dialed something up differently."

The play he's talking about occurred with roughly four minutes remaining in the game. At that point, the Falcons still held an eight-point lead with the ball. Most importantly, they were already in field-goal range at the 23-yard line. All the Falcons had to do was run some clock and kick a field goal to take a two-score advantage. If they had done that, they likely would've won the Super Bowl.

Instead, Shanahan called for a pass and Matt Ryan took an unforgivable sack, which pushed them to the edge of field goal range.

mattryansacksb.gif

NFL GamePass

On the next play, the Falcons were called for holding, which pushed them completely out of range. Ryan fired incomplete on third down, which led to a punt, which led to the Patriots driving down the field for the game-tying touchdown and two-point conversion. The Patriots won the game on the first possession of overtime.

He has plenty of reasons to be happy now. He turned the Falcons' incredible offensive explosion last year -- for which Matt Ryan won regular-season MVP -- into his first head-coaching gig.

Sure, the 49ers are probably a year or two (or three or four) away from competing due to the state of their roster (bad), but they are coming off a great first offseason. The 49ers, whose front office is led by first-time GM John Lynch, swindled the Bears into giving up way too much for the No. 2 pick in the draft, and then they still managed to draft two top defensive talents in Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster.

Shanahan doesn't have a quarterback like Ryan to work with yet, but they could get one in next year's loaded draft. Or they could find a way to sign Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins, who was connected to the team this offseason.

The point being, life for Shanahan isn't too bad. One doomed play call can't change that.
Shanahan won't feel so lucky after he has to Play against NFC West Defenses all year long, Especially after he meets up with the Rams "D"!!:snicker::bow:

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
The Patriots have had the luxury of playing in the SHITTIEST division in all of football for over a decade. Also, the AFC isn't shit compared to the NFC right now. I'm probably going to Atlanta for the Cowboys game. If anyone talks shit, I'm just going to give them the international sign for choking.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Kyle is such an egotistical person. It's been reported he's extremely hard to work with because of that.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe

mattryansacksb.gif

NFL GamePass

What a non-article... a whole page with over 1,000 words and only 3 small quotes.

People get paid to write this fluff? It reminds me of a highschool kid trying his hardest to extend sentences by being very descriptive so he hits his word count.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Naw....never just one play....a series of plays to be sure....dudes gotta block better, QB's gotta play better....and play smarter. The hold on Long was big...the turnover/strip sack...just too many lil plays...
the Falcons where getting absolutely no where running the ball
exactly

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Don't forget the Panthers kicker kicking the ball out of bounds on a kick-off with a minute to go putting the cheats on the 40 yard line.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Shanahan, you lost that Super Bowl. I have zero NFL coaching experience and I could have called a winning gameplan 100 times over at that point. 30 other NFL teams would have ran the ball there (with the exception of possibly Seattle).

Zodi

Hall of Fame
This is incorrect and it's taking some of the blame and putting it on Ryan when he actually couldn't do a thing.

All the talk about why he didn't just throw it away is dumb. Watch his location during the play. If he throws away it is an OBVIOUS intentional grounding call on him.

There was a receiver running a crossing route about ten yards away. Watch the GIF. Middle of the field. Ryan could've threw it at his feet, like we've seen QBs do a thousand times. So no, it's not "dumb" to suggest Ryan had an alternative to taking a sack on that play.

Ram65

Legend
Horrible play call based on the score, time remaining and field position. Just under 4 minutes remaining in the game with an 8point lead on the opponents 23 yard line. If they don't gain another yard that makes it a relatively easy 40 yard FG. Matt Bryant was 9 of 9 from 40-49 yards and 7 of 8 from 30-39 yards.

The Falcons lost a yard on the previous run play but ran off a lot of time. The play started at 4:40 and the next snap came at 3:57 with about 4 seconds on the play clock. That's 45 seconds for each for two run plays. That leaves about 2:27 seconds or so remaining. Take 8 seconds off for FG and KO and your at 2:19 or close to it remaining in the game.

I like going for the knock out as much as anyone. Many times I didn't like Fisher ball but, sometimes you have to plays conservative. More than likely the FG is good and the Patsies have to use their timeouts to get a TD and pull within another TD. All that with less than 2:30 minutes makes it so much harder. Anything could happen a fumble, missed FG and onside kick to name a few. It's hard to control everything but, they could have controlled the clock for the win.

1:33 Hr 33 Min You get the catch to set them up inside the 25 yard line.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE-NU98C3AE

Last edited:

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Horrible play call based on the score, time remaining and field position. Just under 4 minutes remaining in the game with an 8point lead on the opponents 23 yard line. If they don't gain another yard that makes it a relatively easy 40 yard FG. Matt Bryant was 9 of 9 from 40-49 yards and 7 of 8 from 30-39 yards.

The Falcons lost a yard on the previous run play but ran off a lot of time. The play started at 4:40 and the next snap came at 3:57 with about 4 seconds on the play clock. That's 45 seconds for each for two run plays. That leaves about 2:27 seconds or so remaining. Take 8 seconds off for FG and KO and your at 2:19 or close to it remaining in the game.

I like going for the knock out as much as anyone. Many times I didn't like Fisher ball but, sometimes you have to plays conservative. More than likely the FG is good and the Patsies have to use their timeouts to get a TD and pull within another TD. All that with less than 2:30 minutes makes it so much harder. Anything could happen a fumble, missed FG and onside kick to name a few. It's hard to control everything but, they could have controlled the clock for the win.

1:33 Hr 33 Min You get the catch to set them up inside the 25 yard line.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE-NU98C3AE

Would've been better to just take a knee haha

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
It wasn't ONE play.... it was an ENTIRE HALF. they had a big enough lead and their Defense was playing solid enough to dial it down a bit and just play ball. But Kyle was getting more and more greedy .... as soon as the Pat's got their 2nd TD, I would have went into clock management mode.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It wasn't ONE play.... it was an ENTIRE HALF. they had a big enough lead and their Defense was playing solid enough to dial it down a bit and just play ball. But Kyle was getting more and more greedy .... as soon as the Pat's got their 2nd TD, I would have went into clock management mode.

i'm sorry but it was that one play. a huge play to julio got them into a position to win the game. all they needed was to take some time off the clock or get the cheats to use their remaining time outs and then kick the fg for a two score lead with a couple of mins left on the clock.

alot of blame should go to the head coach as well. he should have been in shanahan's ear after julio caught the ball saying "the next three plays better be running plays, we only need a fg to win, let's not blow this". you know, do his job.