Shady Mccoy apparently lives up to his nickname

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, been on a break for the first time in 6 years. Been a hardcore raider and Guild Leader... But think I'm going back for Warlords of Draenor. You see the Cinematic? Holy Cow!!! Plus, all my friends have switched from Alliance to raiding Horde now and no way I'm paying to switch all my toons from Gnomeregan (or whatever the new server is called) to Sen'jin or Area 52. $15 per toon. Blizz can get Ook'd if they think I'm paying that.

But oh, yeah... Been playing WoW since Sept' 06...vanilla, baby...

Good stuff, I've played since like 06 as well. But these days it's more of messing around not getting much done.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
McCoy made the call that the service was not worthy of a tip. We have all had that experience. Owner has no business trying to embarrass him because he is a public figure. He will lose business, and it will be more than the $15 he is crying about.
Even if we get bad service (not talking about surly service, mind you), we still give the minimum tip. It's simple courtesy.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
McCoy made the call that the service was not worthy of a tip. We have all had that experience. Owner has no business trying to embarrass him because he is a public figure. He will lose business, and it will be more than the $15 he is crying about.

I'm not disagreeing that it was distasteful to put the receipt out there like that. But nobody should be worried about info getting stolen from it.

I've been in a situation where douchebag patrons take it in their own hands to teach me a lesson when I was a server. One took the time to write out 3 things I could have done better and wrote "TIPS" on it at the top....all on a napkin.

Regardless of how bad the service was, it's hard to justify a .03% tip.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the service is mediocre, you tip 10%. Decent 15%, good 20%. These people are making three bucks an hour wages. Unless the server trips and sets me on fire with the candles from my own birthday cake, which then flips over onto my wife's brand new expensive evening gown, ruining it beyond redemption. Then I'd tip twenty cents. And I don't make millions.
Minimum wage for servers is $2.13 per hour
I'm with you, I cant imagine ever leaving a tip like that. And I've had some real lousy service

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
if you don't like the service and the food you just don't return ever again, or you can be a dick and post a yelp review about it
but you don't stiff a server

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I'm not disagreeing that it was distasteful to put the receipt out there like that. But nobody should be worried about info getting stolen from it.

I've been in a situation where douchebag patrons take it in their own hands to teach me a lesson when I was a server. One took the time to write out 3 things I could have done better and wrote "TIPS" on it at the top....all on a napkin.

Regardless of how bad the service was, it's hard to justify a .03% tip.
You must be a lousy server. No one has ever once told me that I'm doing a bad job.
I always tip at least 15%. 15% is when they messed up and didn't treat me right. That's only because I believe they determine wages of servers by the hourly rate plus 15% of their tickets. I don't have the heart to cause someone's income to be less than what the IRS thinks it is.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sell the receipt on ebay for a tip! I bet someone steps up to the table.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Man, I would hate to be famous these days. Your life is under constant scrutiny and if you ever make a poor decision, the world receives a broadcast about every detail. You have to get everything perfect right down to your showering habits.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Man, I would hate to be famous these days. Your life is under constant scrutiny and if you ever make a poor decision, the world receives a broadcast about every detail. You have to get everything perfect right down to your showering habits.

Not true necessarily - the major majority of well-known people in entertainment field keep a low profile and know how to tip properly
and subsequently simply enjoy their life and work without having to be perfect

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Was in the restaurant biz for 30 plus years and whenever celebs or sports figures showed up, they got the best service! Sometimes to the detriment of other guests! Can't imagine his party got less! Some of these jokers think they're entitled and if they don't get their way, they're asswipes! JME!

Mamfm5

UDFA
It isn't all that hard IMO, it happens in every household in the world every day.

But of course I tip my wife :whistle:

Nothing but pure curiosity and am in no way insinuating your opinion is wrong, but have you ever waited tables? I say this only because I feel that it is difficult work and being that waiting tables has little similarity to cooking at home. Nothing in the kitchen, at least in mine, compares to the arrogance and brazenness a waiter will receive in a given shift. From 6 years of experience, I will say that 99% of the difficulty faced in this position is not from the actual order taking aspect, but instead a product of extremely fast paced working environment, mixed with assorted rude souls. Being on your feet for 8 straight hours waiting hand and foot on people who show you little to no respect may change your mind.

Dramatics aside, it can also be a very fun working environment and I wouldn't trade the things I learned in that profession for anything. And for those who are mentioning it... the 3.63/hour wage gets completely taxed out by the claiming of tips. I don't think I ever received a paycheck when I waited tables. But do not let that fool you as any half decent server makes well over minimum wage, even with the bad tippers. I also believe that this store owner is completely out of line. Though frustrating, nothing states that a tip is required, and in no way do I think the public shaming is validated.

P.S. I hope that you giver her more than 20%

Philly5

Rookie
If the service is mediocre, you tip 10%. Decent 15%, good 20%. These people are making three bucks an hour wages. Unless the server trips and sets me on fire with the candles from my own birthday cake, which then flips over onto my wife's brand new expensive evening gown, ruining it beyond redemption. Then I'd tip twenty cents. And I don't make millions.

I agree with you, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion without fear of being publicly embarrassed. The amount to tip is at the discretion of the customer.

Mamfm5

UDFA
Was in the restaurant biz for 30 plus years and whenever celebs or sports figures showed up, they got the best service! Sometimes to the detriment of other guests! Can't imagine his party got less! Some of these jokers think they're entitled and if they don't get their way, they're asswipes! JME!

I will never forget when the restaurant I worked at allowed Albert Pujols to sub out his side rice for an extra 10 oz. of steak at no charge. Though, he always left (or should I say De De Pujols did as Albert never spoke a word) 40% for us. Always cash.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I will never forget when the restaurant I worked at allowed Albert Pujols to sub out his side rice for an extra 10 oz. of steak at no charge. Though, he always left (or should I say De De Pujols did as Albert never spoke a word) 40% for us. Always cash.
Gave Stan Musial free drinks as he waited for a table at the bar. Might have been 5 minutes wait.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I'm a 15-20% and round up kind of guy usually. If the service is terrible I generally take the cost of my meal out of the equation and tip accordingly. I can't say I've ever really tipped less than $3 and it's usually just the wife and I (I'd say at minimum we spend about $25-30, so on crappy service that's about 10%).

Though, your point about the hourly wage...if you give crappy service you won't be able to make it on the $3/hr...similarly if I am doing a poor job at my profession I probably won't make it long. There are always going to be garbage tippers, but I think as in most things, if you do your job properly you will get rewarded properly...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Nothing but pure curiosity and am in no way insinuating your opinion is wrong, but have you ever waited tables? I say this only because I feel that it is difficult work and being that waiting tables has little similarity to cooking at home. Nothing in the kitchen, at least in mine, compares to the arrogance and brazenness a waiter will receive in a given shift. From 6 years of experience, I will say that 99% of the difficulty faced in this position is not from the actual order taking aspect, but instead a product of extremely fast paced working environment, mixed with assorted rude souls. Being on your feet for 8 straight hours waiting hand and foot on people who show you little to no respect may change your mind.

Dramatics aside, it can also be a very fun working environment and I wouldn't trade the things I learned in that profession for anything. And for those who are mentioning it... the 3.63/hour wage gets completely taxed out by the claiming of tips. I don't think I ever received a paycheck when I waited tables. But do not let that fool you as any half decent server makes well over minimum wage, even with the bad tippers. I also believe that this store owner is completely out of line. Though frustrating, nothing states that a tip is required, and in no way do I think the public shaming is validated.

P.S. I hope that you giver her more than 20%
Her tip depends on how good the service is ;)

I did work for the cooks on board our submarine and it was usually for a lot more than 8 hours a day and believe me you did not want any tips from the guys on board.

Agreed it was shittylong hours but nothing near as hard as working in the oil fields. Different perspectives based on our differing experiences.

Ramatik

Starter
I agree with you, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion without fear of being publicly embarrassed. The amount to tip is at the discretion of the customer.

I don't know. I mean sure, you are entitled to your own opinion. And I wasn't there and I don't know Shady's side of the story. But from what we read above, I don't see why he should be protected at all. He was a jerk. I believe that if you are angry or mad about not getting decent service you can decide not to tip. That's your power as a customer. But to leave a twenty cent tip? That's saying something that is not very nice.

If you are being a jerk to somebody, how can you not expect them to be a jerk back?

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The server needs to get a management job at this burger joint. Then he can sit around on his ass with the other managers.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't know. I mean sure, you are entitled to your own opinion. And I wasn't there and I don't know Shady's side of the story. But from what we read above, I don't see why he should be protected at all. He was a jerk. I believe that if you are angry or mad about not getting decent service you can decide not to tip. That's your power as a customer. But to leave a twenty cent tip? That's saying something that is not very nice.

If you are being a jerk to somebody, how can you not expect them to be a jerk back?
It used to be common practice to leave a penny for the tip when you got bad service. He is not the first person to send a message this way.