Sf hiring John lynch as Gm

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Lynch went to Stanford. Was an all-pro player as a safety. Saw the game as an analyst. Was in various teams offices.
If you think this definitely will end poorly, well, I'll just say again, football aint that hard. Especially the part about picking players. I could guarantee about 30 guys in HERE could do it. There is too much information out there on these kids. Finding quality scouts will be the challenge.
New blood...we got some...so does Frisco. Hell, I'm more worried about their coach than the GM.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I got a $100 tip from Lynch once for a couple drinks, so he's OK in my book.
As far as the niners hiring a GM with absolutely ZERO management experience....hahahahahahahahahah
Kinda reminds me, as a San Diegan, of when the Padres pulled Jerry Coleman out of the booth to be the manager. We all know how that turned out, clownshow.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It sure sounds like another " Matt Millen" Type hire to me too!!:rolllaugh:

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
I'm cautiously optimistic that he won't bring the 9ers great success, but I'm also wary of burying him right here and now. While he's new to the front office, he's not new to football, and it seems to mostly be just a matter of hiring competency, and letting competent individuals do their jobs. I imagine he has a plan to get a support staff around him that will help him with the gritty details, and I'm sure he has a bunch of connections he can draw on. I don't watch ESPN, and I'm not familiar with Lynch in really any respect. I just doubt he will fail because of inexperience at hiring, firing, scouting, and all the rest. He'll fail if he trusts the wrong staff, makes the wrong picks and/or doesn't get along with coaches or owner, but that's what you can say for any GM hire.

Shanahan is the bigger question mark in my mind. Is he a guy to build a team? Can he motivate and inspire and lead? Are his players going to stick by him, and will he stick by them, through the rough times? He doesn't strike me as the nurturing and giving sort. But we'll see. With both of these guys.

Q729

Legend
I swear, if this works out well for the 9ers... What the eff did we ever do to you to deserve this bullshit constant leapfrogging, football gods???

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
This should be fun. Can't wait for San Fran to fall flat on their faces. :D

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I have no problem with Lynch, but I'm scratching my head on this one.
It leads me to believe that Shanahan will have full control over personell.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Lynch does not strike me as that type of guy and Uncle Jed did give him a six year contract so IMO, Lynch will have control.
Fair enough about Lynch, but what in York's recent past makes you think he'll accept anything less than a yes man?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Is a biproduct of him wanting yes men around him.

I concur so maybe he's decided to take a back seat and hired someone like Lynch. Just don't see Lynch agreeing to a six year deal without total autonomy. I have to believe with a new stadium and the egg on his face after choosing Baalke over Harbaugh does realize he has to fill that new stadium so IMO that is why he has hired Lynch.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I concur so maybe he's decided to take a back seat and hired someone like Lynch. Just don't see Lynch agreeing to a six year deal without total autonomy. I have to believe with a new stadium and the egg on his face after choosing Baalke over Harbaugh does realize he has to fill that new stadium so IMO that is why he has hired Lynch.
First thing you need to do is ignore the length of the deals. York has now demonstrated four times in the last three years he's ok with firing people with years left on their contracts. I may be tainted by listening to what Niner fans think of the deal and of York but nothing in this whole process makes me think he learned from his past mistakes. Or that his ego will allow him to learn.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I may be tainted by listening to what Niner fans think of the deal and of York but nothing in this whole process makes me think he learned from his past mistakes. Or that his ego will allow him to learn.

I hope you're right, but even John Shaw got tired of losing and maybe up through the ground came a bubbling dude.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I swear, if this works out well for the 9ers... What the eff did we ever do to you to deserve this bullcrap constant leapfrogging, football gods???
Too true to like. Sure have to wonder - don't you?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sorry - but catching lightning in a bottle wasn't Shaw getting tired of losing.

I think it was, he hired Vermeil then had a major sit down with him to make some changes that did benefit the organization. Look I will never defend John Shaw, but he was the one that kept going back to Dick Vermeil and he did force Vermeil's hand to hire Martz over an internal hire of Mike White those are facts, but Shaw was still a dirty rotten scoundrel.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
What cracks me up about the Lynch hire is that some news items are lauding the 49ers for thinking outside the box.

Pay no attention to the fact that their GM search began with a list of "inside the box" candidates -- most of whom declined the opportunity for unspecified reasons (they had the decency to not publicly blurt out "I don't want to work for Jed York").