Sf hiring John lynch as Gm

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am surprised Lynch would want the job. Maybe he sees it as his best/only chance to fast track into the GM position. How many players end up in that job?

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Mr Millen would like a word with you....

matt_millen_fans.jpg

Millen9.jpg
Ozzie Newsome is doing pretty well at it. Albeit he spent 7 years in front office first. Lynch has had a birds eye view analyzing. He might surprise.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Again, Lynch saw an opportunity and jumped on it. If he succeeds he is in every future GM discussion. If he fails he can blame York and has valuable experience he doesn't ever get a chance to get so quickly. It's gotta be better than TV money. Hitching himself to one of the most successful offensive minds in recent years is worth the gamble.

It may not be worth the headache though.

On York's end...who else could they get. Reminds me of the Rams situation when they hired Devanney. Nobody with credibility wanted the job, because it was a hopeless situation. York takes the first fish to bite.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I don't know if this is bad or good, but it's super confusing.

It also seems like it was a decision made between Lynch and Shanahan, leaving York out of it. Might be best to keep York out of things, but I wonder how he feels about it.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Well yeah, but it's not like he's going to be making any major decisions here, he's just there "yes sir" guy. no difference in what Les Snead has been for us over the past few years. It's not that hard of a job.

Do you really think Fisher put together the whole scouting staff or grinds through hours of tape for thousands of college players? Snead does a ton of scouting and most of the scouting staff is made up people he knows or worked with. Fisher and Shanahan may have final say, but there is whole lot of work they are not involved in before that final say happens.

IMO putting alot on first time head coach who is going to call plays when you have GM that never negotiated a contract our scouted a player.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't think I'd dismiss Lynch out of hand. Does it seem like an odd pull for that level of position? Sure seems like it and I hope it backfires like my old vw bug. But I'm not ready to rejoice in the whiners continuing their downfall until I see it happen.

All that being said, I hope this job is WAY over his head and he and Kyle have a completely dysfunctional marriage.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't know if this is bad or good, but it's super confusing.

It also seems like it was a decision made between Lynch and Shanahan, leaving York out of it. Might be best to keep York out of things, but I wonder how he feels about it.

I'll say this is what York set out to do. He got a GM the coach wanted.

Lynch is from Stanford & was rumored to be a guy to supersede Elway in Denver.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I think this will prove to be a good move by the Whiners in the long run. Lynch is obviously a very smart and very knowledgeable football guy. If you listen to him break the game down he clearly understands it, and he is a guy who was absolutely dominant himself for a long time, largely through his understanding of the game, his preparation and work ethic. He's a strong character and a very high character human being and will obviously look for those traits in the guy's he hires. He's also young so will be able to learn on the job. Good hire.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Lynch is a smart guy has not experience, but it all comes down to who he surrounds himself with. I don't worry about them the Rams have their own issues and my focus is totally on the Los Angeles Rams not the team up North.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good luck keeping York out. Jed thinks he's a smart football guy and has always second guessed his GM and HC. Makes suggestions, "try this",, "why'd you do that/" "lets draft this guy", et...... "I'm the owner and I'll be part of decisions". Lynch and whoever ends up HC will just love that.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Credit where credit is due -- Lynch was a hell of a player, and was better than average as a color analyst.

Whether or not that translates into being successful as a GM?!? Well, that remains to be seen. Especially with the potential of dealing with a meddling owner who's out of his depth on football matters.

The 6-year deal is overly optimistic -- I'm predicting Lynch will be fed up and walk away from the job after 3 years.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This is fantastic news.

Thank God I will never have to listen to him call another Ram game from the booth.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
This is simply a yes man for York and Shanahan. I seriously doubt he has any control at all.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This is simply a yes man for York and Shanahan. I seriously doubt he has any control at all.

Lynch does not strike me as that type of guy and Uncle Jed did give him a six year contract so IMO, Lynch will have control.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Much easier to talk a big game behind a microphone. We'll see how this works out for them.