Several things that I had missed while watching the game live...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Upon re-watching I noticed these things, in no particular order...

The Ram no huddle was devastating for the Cards. They could rarely sub and they were exhausted by the mid 3rd quarter. Practically zombies by the 4th quarter. I suspect that McVay will be doing some more of that in future games.

Goff had an on field “presence” about him that would make a 5th year vet proud. Calmly looked over the D and called out adjustments or correctly chose run/pass options many times. Hard to believe that this was only his 14th career start.

I watched the right side of our OL extensively. Brown and Hav played their hearts out. I once saw Brown 20 yards downfield throwing a block on Tavon’s big sweep to the left side.

Hav made a block on a CB on a Tavon screen to the right that made me smile. Like a pickup running over an egg.

Gurley is on fire, y’all. Looking like an MVP. The guy is beyond motivated.

Hard to see too much from the TV shots, but there is something off between Goff and Watkins. And I don’t think that Goff is the problem. Sigh...

Our various WR’s were noticed throwing nice blocks. It’s not just Tavon, IOW. It’s apparently a thing demanded of our WR corps. Love it.

That final TD drive was impressive. It was 16 plays for 80 yards and consumed 10 minutes off the clock. By then, the Cards were crushed emotionally and physically. That is not hyperbole, either.

Rams finished the game with 197 yards rushing. Against the #5 rushing D in the league. Any questions? Lol.

McVay keeps the petal to the metal, doesn’t he? Midway through the 4th quarter leading 26-0 he calls for a jet sweep! Shades of Mike Martz. Lol.

Quinn was largely a JAG in this game. That might be heresy to some, I know. Yeah, he had a flash or two, but mostly he was being controlled on his rushes and mostly ineffective. I don’t think he will be here next year. Watch for yourself if you still have the game recorded.

Once Palmer was injured and Stanton came in, it was over for the Cards. What a QB drop off. Don’t want to take anything away from the Ram D, but it’s not as if they abused a quality QB in Stanton, so I hope they don’t get overconfident.

The substitution rotation on the DL is impressive. Seems to be no drop off when the fresh bodies come in. Love that.

This D is playing well as a unit. Everybody seems to contribute. And it’s very hard to score on this D now, which is the name of the game. Take another bow, Wade!

McVay is correct to point out that this team has not yet “arrived”, of course. But I think it is also correct to point out that this team can now beat other teams via the run, pass, or ST, while the Ram D is clamping down on the other team’s run, pass, or ST.

We’re not all that far from becoming an elite team, IMO. Just a hop, skip, and a jump away, actually.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Your infatuation with Quinn and Austin...:deadhorse:

Both have been playing well as of late. Not really sure what there is to complain about, or be negative about with them.

I agree with Watkins but I think that's the thing, they just need time together to build that chemistry. Give it time.
I'm also watching Watkins get bracketed in coverage. So there's that.

Good write up tho!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I watched the right side of our OL extensively. Brown and Hav played their hearts out. I once saw Brown 20 yards downfield throwing a block on Tavon’s big sweep to the left side.

Hav made a block on a CB on a Tavon screen to the right that made me smile. Like a pickup running over an egg.

I'm quite please with their development this year. Both seemed to take a step backward last year under Boudreau's tutelage. Both have taken at least two big steps forward under Kromer this year. Viva la Kromer!

Hard to see too much from the TV shots, but there is something off between Goff and Watkins. And I don’t think that Goff is the problem. Sigh...

I'm wondering if Watkins frustrations have something to do with what's discussed in the linked article here:

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/26/nfl-los-angeles-rams-sammy-watkins-stats-film-press/

McVay keeps the petal to the metal, doesn’t he? Midway through the 4th quarter leading 26-0 he calls for a jet sweep! Shades of Mike Martz. Lol.

Quite a refreshing change from the days of trying to sit on a 10 point lead for 3 quarters, huh?

Once Palmer was injured and Stanton came in, it was over for the Cards. What a QB drop off. Don’t want to take anything away from the Ram D, but it’s not as if they abused a quality QB in Stanton, so I hope they don’t get overconfident.

Even before Palmer left, the D had really put the clamps down on him hard after the first drive. If Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker had been on their sideline, even before Palmer had gone out he would have told them they weren't going to amount to jack squat against the Rams D. The best the Cardinals might have done had Palmer stayed in the game is maybe a FG or one TD. I seriously doubt they would have gotten to 10 points with Palmer playing the full game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Upon re-watching I noticed these things, in no particular order...

The Ram no huddle was devastating for the Cards. They could rarely sub and they were exhausted by the mid 3rd quarter. Practically zombies by the 4th quarter. I suspect that McVay will be doing some more of that in future games.

Goff had an on field “presence” about him that would make a 5th year vet proud. Calmly looked over the D and called out adjustments or correctly chose run/pass options many times. Hard to believe that this was only his 14th career start.

Gurley is on fire, y’all. Looking like an MVP. The guy is beyond motivated.

Our various WR’s were noticed throwing nice blocks. It’s not just Tavon, IOW. It’s apparently a thing demanded of our WR corps. Love it.

That final TD drive was impressive. It was 16 plays for 80 yards and consumed 10 minutes off the clock. By then, the Cards were crushed emotionally and physically. That is not hyperbole, either.

Rams finished the game with 197 yards rushing. Against the #5 rushing D in the league. Any questions? Lol.

Quinn was largely a JAG in this game. That might be heresy to some, I know. Yeah, he had a flash or two, but mostly he was being controlled on his rushes and mostly ineffective. I don’t think he will be here next year. Watch for yourself if you still have the game recorded.

The substitution rotation on the DL is impressive. Seems to be no drop off when the fresh bodies come in. Love that.

This D is playing well as a unit. Everybody seems to contribute. And it’s very hard to score on this D now, which is the name of the game. Take another bow, Wade!

McVay is correct to point out that this team has not yet “arrived”, of course. But I think it is also correct to point out that this team can now beat other teams via the run, pass, or ST, while the Ram D is clamping down on the other team’s run, pass, or ST.

We’re not all that far from becoming an elite team, IMO. Just a hop, skip, and a jump away, actually.
I like everything I read here^ and I think the next Big step for the Team will be getting more and more Turnovers on our opponents! Takeaways will be a High priority from here on out! JMHO!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Your infatuation with Quinn and Austin...:deadhorse:

Both have been playing well as of late. Not really sure what there is to complain about, or be negative about with them.

I agree with Watkins but I think that's the thing, they just need time together to build that chemistry. Give it time.
I'm also watching Watkins get bracketed in coverage. So there's that.

Good write up tho!

Just calling them as I see them, Jacobarch.

Quinn, as he is currently playing, is upgradable. He just is. In fact, Longacre is outplaying him for those that actually watch their respective snaps.

I said that some would consider my commentary about Quinn as heresy. You proved my point.

As to Tavon, I never criticized him once during my post. Sooooo...

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Just calling them as I see them, Jacobarch.

Quinn, as he is currently playing, is upgradable. He just is. In fact, Longacre is outplaying him for those that actually watch their respective snaps.

I said that some would consider my commentary about Quinn as heresy. You proved my point.

As to Tavon, I never criticized him once during my post. Sooooo...

Are there better olbs out there ? Absolutely, but he's not playing poorly by any means. I'm not ready to give up on this two time probowler just yet. I'm gonna give him until the end of the season just like everyone else and then give an opinion if we should upgrade or not.

In regards to Austin , I'm just over hearing about how awful he is. Not necessarily directed at you

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I agree especially about the no huddle. I remember every time Bradford ran it, the offense was better. I also remember fisher being asked why they don't do it more and his answer was, we need to keep our defense fresh. I remember at the time I thought, Buddy Ryan disciple (remember Buddy trying to punch out the Houston OF). Fisher never thought of just stand at the line of scrimmage and let the clock run. It makes everything so much easier for the QB and way more difficult for the defense.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I'd like to add a couple more things that I really haven't seen mentioned on other posts/threads:

1) JJohnson. This kid has stepped in and played his guts out. He might be a touch slow by NFL standards, but he's got great instinct and does not shy away from contact. Very impressed.
2) Goff has really showed a lot of progress in learning to give up on a play and try again instead of forcing a throw. Even his INT seemed more of a miscommunication than a forced throw. He's really only throwing one bad pass a game. By that I mean throwing into coverage he should not.
3) JJohnson, Smart, and by next year, Ebukam (possibly?). For a team that focused more on rebuilding and transforming the offense, that's a pretty good defensive draft.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Are there better olbs out there ? Absolutely, but he's not playing poorly by any means. I'm not ready to give up on this two time probowler just yet. I'm gonna give him until the end of the season just like everyone else and then give an opinion if we should upgrade or not.

In regards to Austin , I'm just over hearing about how awful he is. Not necessarily directed at you

You said and I quote "Your infatuation with Quinn and Austin..." I would say that I was exactly directed at him

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
there better olbs out there ? Absolutely, but he's not playing poorly by any means. I'm not ready to give up on this two time probowler just yet. I'm gonna give him until the end of the season just like everyone else and then give an opinion if we should upgrade or not.

They are simply not playing up to their salaries.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oh, we definitely agree he gets til the end of this season, Jacobarch.

I never thought otherwise.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
This was Quinn's best game of the season, he generated pressure, made a play in the running game to limit a would he huge gain, made a play in coverage and played penalty free. Is he the Quinn of old, no, but JAG he was not.