Seventh-round pick Bryce Hager has ties to Jeff Fisher, Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Seventh-round pick Bryce Hager has ties to Jeff Fisher, Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...pick-bryce-hager-has-ties-to-jeff-fisher-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Asked about linebacker Bryce Hager, whom the St. Louis Rams drafted out of Baylor in the seventh-round of this year's NFL draft, coach Jeff Fisher couldn't help but smile.

Bryce is the son of former NFL linebacker Britt Hager. And while it's fairly common to find players entering the league with strong football bloodlines (and the Rams like those types), this was more than that.

Fisher had a story to tell.

"Yes, it's a great story," Fisher said. "Yes, I know him very well. Actually, he was a draft pick of ours in 1989 when I was coordinating in Philadelphia. It made me feel old today."

The story, according to Fisher, goes something like this. In 1989, Fisher was the defensive coordinator for the Philadelphia Eagles, working under the guidance of head coach Buddy Ryan. Ryan asked Fisher to evaluate a variety of defensive players, including a young linebacker from the University of Texas by the name of Britt Hager.

Fisher promptly watched four or five games of the elder Hager's tape and was immediately impressed. He returned to Ryan's office to provide a pretty glowing endorsement. Ryan told Fisher he didn't know what he was talking about and Fisher departed thinking nothing of it.

"That was how Buddy operated," Fisher said, laughing. "I think I was just some reassurance that he wanted Britt."

Indeed, Ryan did want Britt Hager, so much so, in fact, that he traded a boatload of picks to move back into the third round to acquire him. Philadelphia sent its fifth-round pick, plus its seventh through 12th rounds picks to the Chicago Bears for the No. 81 overall pick. The Eagles used that pick on Britt Hager, who would play for the Eagles until 1994.

From there, Hager went on to spend time with the Denver Broncos before finishing up his career as a member of the St. Louis Rams in 1997, playing mostly on special teams.

Now, Fisher is the man in charge of a team that has drafted another Hager, though the Rams didn't have to pay nearly the same amount of draft capital to acquire Bryce.

Bryce Hager is a 6-foot-2, 235-pound linebacker who should be able to come to St. Louis, offer some depth and contribute on special teams right away. Hager was productive for the Bears in 2014, posting 114 tackles, 12 for loss and two sacks.

But Fisher didn't draft the younger Hager just for nostalgic reasons. He sees many similarities between father and son.

"Oh yeah, sideline-to-sideline," Fisher said. "That's how his dad was, sideline-to-sideline. Texas, University of Texas, Odessa-Permian. He ran and played special teams and was a great teammate. That's the same thing you see out of Bryce. Bryce was really productive. They speak very highly of him there at Baylor and he should have an impact from a special teams standpoint. Beyond that, we'll see how it goes. He's well coached and a very talented young man."

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams’ 7th-Rounder Bryce Hager on Getting Picked By the Rams

The St. Louis Rams went extremely offensive heavy in the 2015 Draft, as they waited all the way until the 7th round before choosing a player on the defensive side of the ball. That player, former Baylor inside linebacker Bryce Hager, joined The Ryan Kelley Morning After on Wednesday. Hager and The Morning After crew talked about his draft experience, his connection to Rams coach Jeff Fisher and his college career.

Listen to Bryce Hager Interview

===========

What was the moment like when you got the phone call you'd been drafted?

"At first I was getting calls talking about free agency...We were talking about 'Alright, we gotta figure out where I'm going to.' But when I get another call asking if I want to be a Ram, and then I get (on the phone with Jeff Fisher) and the first thing he says is 'Man, it's really come full circle.' That made a big impact on me right there because he was my dad's first defensive coordinator in Philadelphia. That meant a lot for him to say something like that."

Did you have a feeling you'd get picked by the Rams?

"I was looking at roster spots...towards the end, and that was a spot I was looking for. I was texting with my agent back and forth and then I got the call. It was crazy timing."

You were a three-time All-Big 12 selection at Baylor. Did you think you'd get drafted sooner?

"Yeah, I was expecting that, but you never know how the draft plays out each year, things happen. And then there's certain teams that like certain players and so I was expecting to go a little bit sooner, but I'm very honored to have the privilege of being drafted."

How do you think your game will translate to the NFL. What are you expecting?

"I'm expecting to play special teams. I'm going to try to transfer my speed and gameplay. We have a very good team, so there's going to be a lot of competition and so I'm going to try to fit wherever I can."

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...Bryce-Hager-Talks-With-The-Morning-After.aspx

RamBill

Legend
Rams seventh-round pick Bryce Hager and Jeff Fisher go way back
FOX Sports

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...ryce-hager-and-jeff-fisher-go-way-back-050615

Seventh-round draft pick of the St. Louis Rams Bryce Hager out of Baylor has family ties to Rams head coach Jeff Fisher.

Hager is the son of former NFL linebacker Britt Hager. Fisher told ESPN a great story about the time he had a role in drafting Bryce Hager's father.

"Yes, it's a great story," Fisher said. "Yes, I know him very well. Actually, he was a draft pick of ours in 1989 when I was coordinating in Philadelphia. It made me feel old today."

Fisher went on to tell a story about the time he had to watch tape of the older Hager in 1989. Fisher was the defensive coordinator at the time of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Fisher was working under head coach Buddy Ryan. Ryan told Fisher to go watch tape and report back to him of what he thought of Hager. Fisher did just that and reported back to Ryan that this kid was the real deal and a great player. Ryan then told Fisher he had no idea what he was talking about.

"That was how Buddy operated," Fisher said, laughing. "I think I was just some reassurance that he wanted Britt."

Ryan did want Britt, so badly that he traded up in the third round just to grab him.

Now Fisher is in charge of drafting another Hager. And he sees many similarities between father and son.

"Oh yeah, sideline-to-sideline," Fisher said. "That's how his dad was, sideline-to-sideline. Texas, University of Texas, Odessa-Permian. He ran and played special teams and was a great teammate. That's the same thing you see out of Bryce. Bryce was really productive. They speak very highly of him there at Baylor and he should have an impact from a special teams standpoint. Beyond that, we'll see how it goes. He's well coached and a very talented young man."

RamBill

Legend
Like father, like son for Rams' Hager
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_069f93e7-0a61-556e-8edd-1a22c9b14c0c.html

Way back in 1989, Jeff Fisher was the youngest defensive coordinator in the NFL, working for head coach Buddy Ryan in Philadelphia at age 31. Not long before the ’89 draft, Fisher was asked by Ryan to study a linebacker prospect out of the University of Texas — a fellow by the name of Britt Hager.

“So I watched four or five games, went down the hall and reported my opinion,” Fisher said. “And the head coach told me that I didn’t know what I was talking about. So I said, ‘Fine.’”

A couple of days later, Ryan not only drafted Hager, he traded a fifth-round pick as well as every Eagles pick in Rounds 7 through 12 to Chicago in order to move up to the third round for him.

Apparently Fisher, who liked Hager as a prospect, knew what he was talking about after all.

“That was how Buddy operated,” Fisher said, laughing. “I think I was just some reassurance that he wanted Britt.”

More than a quarter-century later, Fisher is coaching another Hager — Britt’s son Bryce.

Using a seventh-round pick obtained in the Zac Stacy trade to the New York Jets, the Rams selected the linebacker from Baylor at No. 224 overall.

“It made me feel old today,” Fisher said, after the pick was made last Saturday.

“So you’re like a grand-coach,” general manager Les Snead teased.

Something like that.

Not only that, but Hager is believed to be the first second-generation “St. Louis” Ram because his father closed out a nine-year NFL career playing for Dick Vermeil here in 1997. Britt Hager appeared in 13 games that season, recording three tackles from scrimmage and one special teams stop.

“So things really came full circle. I think it’s an awesome story,” Bryce said. “Yeah, we’ve got some baby pictures of me actually in St. Louis Rams jerseys out on the field when he was playing there.”

Well, not exactly baby pictures. Young Bryce was 5 at the time, but you get the point.

“I remember glimpses of things — living in the apartment, kind of staying in the football day care,” he said. “Stuff like that, but not really any vivid memories.”

After a productive college career at middle linebacker, Hager will now try to make some lasting memories with the Rams. He was a second-team all-Big 12 selection in each of his last three seasons at Baylor, topping 100 tackles in both the 2014 and 2012 seasons. He missed four games in ’13 due to a groin injury and finished with 71 tackles that year.

Watching college tape of Bryce at Baylor, Fisher sees similarities between father and son.

“Oh yeah, sideline-to-sideline,” Fisher said “That’s how his dad was — sideline-to-sideline. ... His dad was a good football player. He played hard. He ran and played special teams and was a great teammate. That’s the same thing you see out of Bryce.”

If there’s one thing Bryce took away from his father’s gridiron career, it’s the value of hard work.

“Hard work can get you pretty much anywhere if you work hard enough,” Bryce said. “Watching him as a kid and hearing stories about his career, he’s always been one of those guys where he’s going to outwork everyone. He kind of instilled that in me as I was growing up.”

Projected as a late-round pick, Hager is a little undersized for the position at 6-1, 234. But he has good speed, running a 4.60 in the 40 at the NFL Scouting Combine in February. A year earlier at Baylor’s junior timing day, he was timed in 4.49.

“He has always timed well, and he plays fast. Plays urgent,” Snead said. “Instinctive kid.”

The Rams approached the offseason looking for depth at linebacker. And even after adding Akeem Ayers in free agency to compete with Jo-Lonn Dunbar for the starting job at strongside linebacker, they were looking to add another body to a thin corps.

“Yeah, that was (taken) into consideration,” Hager said. “When the seventh round rolled around, I was kind of looking at depth charts to see where I could go if I was undrafted. Actually, the St. Louis Rams was the team I was looking at.

“I was talking with my agent and I was like, ‘Hey, this place could be a good fit for me.’ ”

Special teams will be the entry ticket to the NFL for Hager, who will be on the field Friday at Rams Park for rookie minicamp.

“Coming in with the Rams, they have a great defense,” Hager said. “So I’m just hoping for the opportunity to be a special teams guy, fit in at linebacker wherever they need me. Whatever the team needs, I’m there for it.”

RamBill

Legend
Rams LB Hager ready for first gig in city where father's NFL career ended

By Elisabeth Meinecke
FOX Sports Midwest

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...ty-where-father-s-nfl-career-concluded-051815

When the Rams selected linebacker Bryce Hager in the seventh round of the NFL Draft, they knew they were getting a family dynasty.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher had helped scout and coach Hager's dad, Britt, during Fisher's time as a defensive coordinator with the Philadelphia Eagles. Fisher called the elder Hager an "outstanding" player, and confirmed he saw much of the father in the son.

In fact, it's easy to make comparisons between the two, though the elder Hager's last NFL season came in 1997. They're both linebackers with special teams experience, and they play sideline to sideline -- though, according to Bryce, he's "absolutely" the faster one. But the son has tried to strike a balance between following in his father's footsteps and being his own man.

"I take pride in that he was a very successful football player, and I try to model my game as much after him as I can," Hager says. "But I'm also trying to make my own name for myself."

That independence was one reason Hager decided to attend Baylor for college, rather than Texas, where his father played. At the time, it was something of a gamble, since Hager says Baylor wasn't really on the NFL's radar. But when quarterback Robert Griffin III won the Heisman in 2011 and the Bearcats compiled a couple seasons with 10 or more wins, things began to change.

"Eventually, we got more and more scouts at our Pro Day every year," Hager says.

Still, nothing was guaranteed. But Hager received an invitation to the NFL Scouting Combine and turned in a "stellar" performance, according to the Dallas Morning News.

"It's no secret that Hager is one of the faster linebackers coming out of the Big 12 this season, but he ranked near the top of athletic and strength measurements as well during his Combine experience," the article read. "He is still considered to be undersized for a linebacker, but his athletic measurements and 234-pound physique should push him up draft boards. "
Sep 21, 2014; St. Louis, MO, USA; A St. Louis Rams cheerleader performs during the second half at the Edward Jones Dome. The Dallas Cowboys defeat the St. Louis Rams 34-31. Mandatory Credit: Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports
Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

Lookin' good! Flip through our photo album of NFL cheerleaders.

The performance, however, failed to generate enough interest for Hager to receive an invite for a pre-draft visit to an NFL team. But the young linebacker chose a positive approach to the situation.

"The way I took it is I think I did really well at the Combine. I did as well as I could," Hager explains. "So, I think my game tape kind of speaks for itself. Going off that, my Combine was good enough and my film was good enough."

His NFLdraft.com profile, meanwhile, had him projected as a sixth- or seventh-round pick. And as the seventh round of the draft rolled around, Hager was scanning NFL teams' depth charts to see which place might be a good fit, should he end up having to enter free agency. He noticed St. Louis -- where, ironically, the elder Hager had finished his career.

"I was talking with my agent and I was like, 'Hey, this place could be a good fit for me. I think it would be cool playing for the Rams with my dad's story,'" Hager recalls. "That was one of the teams me and my agent were looking at, seeing if I would fit in the scheme and all that stuff. It's crazy how it worked out."

It turns out the Rams were thinking along similar lines. They selected Hager with the first of their two seventh-round picks, 224th overall. The call sent Hager's dad tearing around the house, trying to find a TV to watch.

"He was fired up. I really didn't understand anything he was saying," Hager admits.

Hager played middle linebacker in college, and while St. Louis didn't necessarily have a need at the position entering the draft, the landing spot means he now has a chance to learn behind one of the game's best in James Laurinaitis. Fisher, meanwhile, believes Hager will have an impact from a special teams standpoint.

"Beyond that, we'll see how it goes," the coach says.

Hager, too, anticipates he might have a special teams role this season.

"Coming in with the Rams, they have a great defense, so I'm just hoping for the opportunity to be a special teams guy, fit in at linebacker wherever they need me," he says. "Whatever the team needs, I'm there for it."

RamBill

Legend
St. Louis Rams late-round pick could be next E.J. Gaines
By Justin Koski
May 28, 2015 1:43 pm CDT

Last year, sixth-round draft pick E.J. Gaines burst on to the scene and was easily the Rams’ biggest draft steal. When starter Trumaine Johnson went down with an injury, Gaines, the former Mizzou Tiger, filled in and didn’t play like a rookie. He finished the year with 70 tackles, two interceptions and 14 passes defended.

Did the Rams draft another guy that could be this year’s Gaines?

Chris Simms from Bleacher Report thinks Bryce Hager could be that guy. Chosen in the seventh round, Hager is an athletic linebacker that will contribute on special teams right away.

“Early on, I think he will be a special teams guru for Jeff Fisher,” Simms said. “But he is a guy that I do think is going to find his way on the field year two, three and four. [He’s] too athletic, and he’s going to have value in pass game situations with that 4.6 speed.

“This guy, I think once he gets used to life in the NFL, some different defensive schemes and offenses in the NFL, he’s a guy that can play ball,” Simms added.

Read more at http://cover32.com/rams/2015/05/28/...could-be-next-e-j-gaines/#8KWWcu5IL5ze3jAf.99