Senators: Pentagon Shouldn't Pay NFL for Patriotism

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.nationaljournal.com/congress/senators-pentagon-shouldn-t-pay-nfl-for-patriotism-20150604

Senators: Pentagon Shouldn't Pay NFL for Patriotism
Payments to teams for honoring veterans should end, lawmakers say.
BY RACHEL ROUBEIN

Four military jets perform a flyover during a ceremony honoring veterans before the start of the Philadelphia Eagles game against the Dallas Cowboys on Nov. 11, 2012 in Philadelphia. (Photo by Rich Schultz /Getty Images)

June 4, 2015 - The Senate wants the Pentagon to stop paying the National Football League to publicly salute soldiers, hold pregame reenlistment ceremonies and perform on-field American flag rollouts.

The chamber on Thursday approved an amendment from Sens. John McCain, Jeff Flake, and Richard Blumenthal to the annual defense authorization bill that would not only end this practice but require NFL teams to return the millions in past payments and give them instead to charities supporting troops, veterans, and their families. This practice, which has been dubbed "paid-for patriotism" by critics, has cost the DOD nearly $7 million over the last three years, according to McCain.

McCain blasted the practice, saying the teams duped the American public. "Every fan, whether united by team or divided by rivalry, comes together to thank those who have served and sacrificed on our nation's behalf," the Arizona Republican said. "That's why I and so many other Americans were shocked and disappointed to learn that several NFL teams weren't sponsoring these activities out of the goodness of their own hearts but were doing so to make an extra buck."

And for these tributes to be paid for during tough fiscal times is especially jarring, McCain said, as the department can't afford to "waste its limited resources for the benefits of sports leagues that rake in billions of dollars a year."

Flake—an early critic of the payments—took to the floor after McCain, saying the Pentagon has been asked to provide a full account of teams—not just in the NFL—that have received such payments.

Last month, the House passed a "sense of Congress" resolution saying that this practice should end and the money should instead go toward research and treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder, and that the organizations "should be motivated by patriotism to honor the service of members of the Armed Forces out of their own free will."

Alan

Legend
OK, I hate to say this but for probably the first time ever, I agree with McCain.:eek:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I think the NFL should pay the military for the fly overs, not the other way around...More tarnish on the shield and Goodell...I guess they see it as advertising for the military...So what ??? Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but this just strikes me as dead-ass wrong...

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
I read up on this and it is advertising. the military has advertising money and that is what they use some of that money for. its to honor our military and to get more young people to join. I have no problem with it. just some info that I have researched take it for what you wish.

and I do agree they shouldn't have to pay for this and the NFL should pay it back

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The NFL teams have to return the millions of dollars? That's asinine. You got what you paid for.

And the reason why we are in "tough fiscal times" is because the nitwits in Congress don't know how to budget or spend wisely. They talk about the NFL raking in billions...how much does this country rake in? And yet they manage to have a budget deficit year after year.

How about these pandering jackasses look to make real change? BTW, I'm totally for them not spending money on this. But this is a trivial amount. Cut some real fat. I hate politicians. And I especially hate the politicians in this country. We need new blood. And I'm not talking about Republicans vs. Democrats. I'm talking about real new blood. The system is broken. And that continues to be made abundantly clear to me.

/rant

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Agree with the sentiment, but it's also just another example of those braying jackasses getting all indignant about something unimportant,
instead of doing something that might actually help the country. Assholes.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Jrry - posted before I saw yours - great minds think alike!:cheers:

FRO

Legend
I think the NFL should pay the military for the fly overs, not the other way around...More tarnish on the shield and Goodell...I guess they see it as advertising for the military...So what ??? Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but this just strikes me as dead-ass wrong...
The NFL is like Ricky Bobby. This move should surprise no one.

FRO

Legend
The NFL teams have to return the millions of dollars? That's asinine. You got what you paid for.

And the reason why we are in "tough fiscal times" is because the nitwits in Congress don't know how to budget or spend wisely. They talk about the NFL raking in billions...how much does this country rake in? And yet they manage to have a budget deficit year after year.

How about these pandering jackasses look to make real change? BTW, I'm totally for them not spending money on this. But this is a trivial amount. Cut some real fat. I hate politicians. And I especially hate the politicians in this country. We need new blood. And I'm not talking about Republicans vs. Democrats. I'm talking about real new blood. The system is broken. And that continues to be made abundantly clear to me.

/rant
Wish you were right, but it never will happen. If someone tries to reform anything the other side demigods it to death. Plus politicians do what's in their best interest, not the country's. Our system was designed for ordinary people to serve a term or two, represent people in their district, then leave. The representatives lived full time in their districts, had normal jobs, then went to Washington for votes. They were surrounded by their constituents. Now they live in Washington and are surrounded by lobbyists. They get voted into office with average incomes and leave millionaires. They pick money and self interests over their job. I don't think it will ever change though.

FRO

Legend
Please elaborate. I love that movie. :)
Remember when he put the ad over his windshield? Well if the NFL had a windshield they would definitely have an add on it. It's all about the money with them. Nothing wrong with wanting money, I just feel they go a bit overboard.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
that statement really has nothing to do with the argument or topic at hand. nobody's saying they should get free advertising. the military obviously does spend money advertising through commercials, billboards, events etc. the point is the NFL plays it out like they are in support of the military and make these huge gestures and ceremonies at games out of the kindness of their hearts when really the military is simply paying to be allowed to do it and apparently nobody realized this. the NFL should pay out of their own pocket for these military ceremonies and pregame events. that's the argument

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wish you were right, but it never will happen. If someone tries to reform anything the other side demigods it to death. Plus politicians do what's in their best interest, not the country's. Our system was designed for ordinary people to serve a term or two, represent people in their district, then leave. The representatives lived full time in their districts, had normal jobs, then went to Washington for votes. They were surrounded by their constituents. Now they live in Washington and are surrounded by lobbyists. They get voted into office with average incomes and leave millionaires. They pick money and self interests over their job. I don't think it will ever change though.
Thank you. And it just frosts my ass when the legislature votes themselves a raise. Pick up a history book you jackasses. You were never supposed to make a living from serving. You were supposed to serve and then go back to your jobs, farms, and communities. Just think of how many self serving billions could be used to drive our economy rather than feed a bloated bureaucracy.

As to the military paying the NFL to essentially perform before games and such? WTF? I never knew that was what was going on. Personally - I think the NFL should be ashamed of themselves and whoever made these deals on behalf of the military should be removed from any kind of decision making. If anything, the NFL should be paying the military in the form of supporting fallen soldiers and their families. Unreal.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If you think of it as an advertising budget that's fine. But keep in mind, every dime the government spends is taken from tax payers in some way or another.

FRO

Legend
If you think of it as an advertising budget that's fine. But keep in mind, every dime the government spends is taken from tax payers in some way or another.
It's ok to advertise, but the NFL made it look like they were doing it for Patriotism and out of the goodness of their heart. They aren't though.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

I'm much happier with it being spent on this than some of the other things it's spent on.

This doesn't bother me in the least, knowing several current and former servicemen they talk about how the time spent with pro sports teams, because don't think for a second the NFL is the only league that does this, was some of their favorite times in the service.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...0000-to-u-s-government-for-military-tributes/

NFL will give back more than $700,000 to U.S. government for military tributes
Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2016

459136282-logo-for-the-nfls-salute-to-service-campaign-gettyimages-e1463687151989.jpg
Getty Images

The NFL made more than $700,000 from 2012 through 2015 for seemingly organic military tributes. The league has now committed to paying the money back.

Via Darren Rovell of ESPN.com, the league determined based on an audited review of marketing agreements that teams received $723,734 for military tributes during the three-year window. Commissioner Roger Goodell made the disclosure in a letter to Senator Jeff Flake and Senator John McCain on Wednesday.

Goodell said that the money would be returned to the federal government, and that the league will be more vigilant in the future regarding the spotting and prevention of these activities in the future.

The league apparently has returned only payments for on-field flag ceremonies and tributes to welcome home veterans. The initial report showed that, dating back to 2011, NFL teams received more than $6 million from the military.

The move came after the league absorbed heavy criticism for acts of patriotism for which the teams got paid. While it’s hardly a surprise that the NFL reversed course once the practice came to light, the league got brownie points for giving back the green.

“In all the years I’ve spent rooting out egregious federal spending, the NFL is the first organization to perform due diligence, take responsibility and return misspent funds to the taxpayers,” Senator Flake said, via Rovell. “The NFL’s response to this investigation sets a new standard and only strengthens its reputation as a supporter our nation’s military service members and veterans.

Still, the fact that the league took the money in the first place — and likely would have kept it but for the exposure of the practice — doesn’t mesh with the picture of unequivocal support for the military. True supporters wouldn’t have stuck the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard with a bill for the type of pandering that ordinarily comes without strings attached, and that also results in the sale of plenty of military-themed NFL merchandise every November.