Sell me on Ryan Mallett

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Irish

Starter
There is a good chance that Mallett is going to be cut by the Pats by this time next week. Mallett was highly touted coming out of college for his cannon of an arm and his having played in a pro-style offense in Arkansas, but hasn't done crap since coming into the league, throwing something like 6 total passes in NFL games.

Yet, Mallett is being talked about all the time, and being linked to the Texans as well as the Rams.

So, personnel people, sell me on Ryan Mallett. Why is Mallett as highly regarded as he is? Can he be a serviceable backup to Hill, and does he have real starter potential once he gets out from behind the monolith that is Tom Brady?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Charlie Whitehurst syndrome, Matt Flynn syndrome, etc. Im sick and tired of all these guys that have done absolutely nothing, yet get praised so much just for holding a clipboard. Let the guy prove his ability before you say he's a franchise QB I say. Not referring to your specific post Irish, just my opinion on the situation.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If he's cut put in a claim, but I am sure he'll be claimed by Houston. The question that Fisher and Snead will have to ask themselves does Mallett have more upside than Davis or Gilbert?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
New England doesnt invest much in the backup QB. Brady 6th round, Hoyer undrafted, Cassell 7th round etc...
New England took flier on Mallett and now that his rookie deal is expiring, they drafted his repalcement.
He's got experience in that system, and certainly has had the opportunity to learn from the best.
Physical skills? Cant out run a washing machine but arm strength is top shelf.
I'd like to see him, but cant see carrying 3 QB on the roster with all the other needs.
For a back up, to the back up, I'd prefer somebody who could make plays with their feet.
I just watched the game from Saturday and was pretty impressed with what I saw in AD, so for now I think we're fine as is.
If Davis craps the bed tomorrow night, my tune might change

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
He surprisingly hasn't failed a drug test in the NFL. Mallet has a Million dollar arm and a 1 cent brain.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
If he is cut I'd love to take a chance on Mallett. He's got a big arm and you would have to imagine being in the year this long he's matured.

His physical tools are better than Hill's but I'm not nearly qualified to predict that his mental game would make him a better starter.

fearsomefour

Legend
Mallett=Boller.
His arm makes him an NFL quality player but thats it. Teams continue to fall in love with the measurable traits of QBs. A guy with a big arm is going to continue to get chances and a guy with a weaker arm but with everything else will struggle to find opportunities. This reminds me of MLB teams loving guys who throw 96 even if it is right down the middle of the plate and belt high.
It doesnt matter how strong your arm is, if you struggle with reads or finding the open guy you are going to struggle.
Pass on Mallett from me, there are better options.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Mallett was highly touted coming out of college for his cannon of an arm and his having played in a pro-style offense in Arkansas, but hasn't done crap since coming into the league, throwing something like 6 total passes in NFL games.

Matt Jones. Mitch Mustain.
same story with these Arkansas OB's

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Sell youself,I ain't buyin' so I ain't gotta sell

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Matt Jones. Mitch Mustain.
same story with these Arkansas OB's

Matt Jones was such a boss in college. Dude was like 6'6 and ran a 4.3 40 :eek:. Just almost turned the corner as a receiver. I mean he was decent, but...meh.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
The only real pitch is this - right now the Rams quarterbacks include:

- A guy who just re tore his ACL at 26 and is at risk for never playing again.

- A 34 year old backup who has taken 16 snaps in the past four seasons.

- An UDFA who has yet to take a regular season snap.

- A sixth round rookie.

So we're obviously talking quarterbacks, not just of 2014 but of the future. I'd love to see Bradford come back and play well, but the odds are not in his favor given the injury. And I support Hill and hope he plays well in 2014, but regardless in 2015 and beyond, he's not the quarterback of the future.

Is Mallett that guy? It's probably pretty unlikely. The Patriots obviously don't think so if they cut him. But that's not to say they're infallable.

Mallett has some characteristics you're looking for in a starting quarterback - big kid, big arm, confident, good college tape.

He's got some red flags - character concerns, accuracy issues, Petrino-coached guys haven't done well in the league (system QB?).

But at the end of the day, the main cost of him would be a roster spot that would otherwise be going to Davis or Gilbert (possibly) and scant cap space to find out for sure what he is.

So the opportunity cost is cheap, and if he is that guy, well congrats, you don't have to spend that 2015 first rounder on a QB. Chances of this are slim, but so is winning the lotto, but folks still buy tickets.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Living in Arkansas and being a big razorback fan ive just about all mallets games. You can forget about him running away from pressure the dude is a statue but hes big so somtimes hard to bring down. I know this has nothing to do with playing football but the dude in college could throw 70 yards on his knees he has one of if not the biggest arms in the league. I honestly dont know why he hasnt played good in NE he was a first round talent coming out but some off the field issues and attitude problems pushed him down in the draft. I would love it for the rams to take a shot on him if the price is right because if he gets cut hes not making it past houston on the waver wire.

69superbowl

Rookie
My criteria, at this point, for the next Ram back up or stinking 3rd teamer QB is speed. Just get me someone really fast who can run away and not get hurt. Usain Bolt would work for me. Guess what, if the speedy guy gets hurt then I'll rent another speedy guy, dumb down the offense even more, and give him a shot at stardom too.

If he's not going to be considered the "starter-in-waiting" to lead my team to the F'ing Super Bowl then it doesn't matter. SHill has been a starter, I'm OK with him, but to give a flyingshit about some marginal NFL player (Austin Davis, Gilbert, Mallett) who hasn't done a thing in the league and no expert is drooling over is just pouring salt in the wound. I don't care about them. Dammit, just kicked over the Kool Aid jug.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mallet has a big arm, but zero knowledge of this system, and zero chemistry with the receivers. Oh, and he's thrown 4 passes in the NFL - one of them picked off. I get that people want to scramble and find a QB to come in and fill the void, but that's not the guy. If you're talking long-term, then I have no idea if he's good or not. I don't think anyone can know that. When it comes to this kinda stuff, you kind of have to leave it to Snead and the scouting dept to figure out who best fits in the short-term, and who might make a good long-term prospect. They chose Gilbert, so we'll have to see I guess.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Mallet has a big arm, but zero knowledge of this system, and zero chemistry with the receivers. Oh, and he's thrown 4 passes in the NFL - one of them picked off. I get that people want to scramble and find a QB to come in and fill the void, but that's not the guy. If you're talking long-term, then I have no idea if he's good or not. I don't think anyone can know that. When it comes to this kinda stuff, you kind of have to leave it to Snead and the scouting dept to figure out who best fits in the short-term, and who might make a good long-term prospect. They chose Gilbert, so we'll have to see I guess.

I dont see any way Mallet comes in and makes an impact at least untill halfway though the year. Im fine with rolling with Hill untill he completely bombs or gets hurt. Mallet to me would just be insurance and maybe devlope into a decent QB down the road. worth the risk in my opinion.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Matt Jones was such a boss in college. Dude was like 6'6 and ran a 4.3 40 :eek:. Just almost turned the corner as a receiver. I mean he was decent, but...meh.

I saw a vid of him playing hoops in college, it was posted a few years ago. He ran down a fast break and blocked a shot......it was amazing because he wasn't in the play, wasn't even on screen, then suddenly BAM he comes out of nowhere and chased down the opposing player like he was fired out of a cannon. I was thinking "damn that guy has serious wheels".

Drugs ended his career but yeah he was freakish.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Cuz he's a Patriot, and the media likes to suck the Patriot dick.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

There seems to be a strong feeling that the Rams need to find the QB of the future right now and that just ain't gonna happen. Not to mention there isn't going to be ANY resolution regarding Bradford for several months.