Seems to be 2 common themes with our incoming FA's...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
They are pretty danged "football smart".

They are of high character. A couple were even team captains, I believe.

Both traits would have applied to Groy, had we been successful in getting him.

No disrespect to our outgoing FA players, but I do think that there is a dramatic difference between the incoming and outgoing groups of FA players.

Two things...

I don't think it's a coincidence.

I think it will largely continue through FA and the upcoming draft.

New culture dividends, y'all...

nanotech

Rookie

No disrespect to our outgoing FA players, but I do think that there is a dramatic difference between the incoming and outgoing groups of FA players.

Two things...

Are we back to the Pillars thing?

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Whitworth, Webster, and Barwin I agree with that statement.

I'm not so sure about Lance Dunbar though. And I always looked at Benny as a very hard working guy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have another two commonalities: They aren't all from the Titans and don't suck. ;)

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Lance Dunbar

I'm assuming................

McVay spent a lot of time scouting the Cowboys while with the Redskins

so , I'm assuming...............

McVay sees something in Lance Dunbar that he didn't in Cunningham

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Whitworth, Webster, and Barwin I agree with that statement.

I'm not so sure about Lance Dunbar though. And I always looked at Benny as a very hard working guy.

You could add Murray and Zuerlein to the "plus" column, A.J. Groy woulda fit nicely, too, I think. Not sure about Dunbar, although I vaguely recall reading positives about him in both areas.

Not claiming that we're back to Spag's 4 pillars extreme view, mind you. But I think McVay and his staff clearly value players that are football smart, love the game, and are team first guys.

As an aside, current players might be well advised to take note of what this new regime seems to be looking for and conduct themselves accordingly. I'm looking at you Tavon and GRob. Lol.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
No damage done offering our 7th rounder to the Bills by phone if not already done and denied. We tried to get too cute and save money we might have needed for Barwin. The real fit of age size and scheme from coach WAS Groy. I am happier to get Barwin if we were only gonna get one of them. we still need a VERY solid fix with this OL. Thats our future with Goff and Gurley. I'm sure McSnead is all over the situation as they wave goodbye to Connor. Get ER' Done!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Legitimate starting LT, the only one in this year's FA market without grossly overpaying. Solid pass rusher to get us through the season. And some depth guys to avoid desperation in the draft.

Very solid FA season for us. This regime is looking pretty shrewd right now. They gotta kill it in the draft though with a starting center and CB at a minimum, if they can bring in 3+ starters plus one of them being an impact player we'll be lookin pretty good.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
They are of high character.

Yes 43, this new regime is taking a different approach and what they DON"T get right this year, you can damn sure bet they WON'T sit still next year being content with what changes need to be made.

(y)
There_s_a_new_Sheriff_in_town2.jpg

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Lance Dunbar

Who says that signing Dunbar has anything to do with Cunningham ?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Thinking about the Center position still makes me so fucking angry. We had a chance the last couple years to pick up a real quality Center, and Fisher didn't give a flying fuck. He instead went with Tim Fucking Barnes. Unbelievable.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Are we back to the Pillars thing?

I always felt like Spagnolo put too much emphasis on the non-football character side. I don't care if a guy is a choir boy, squeaky clean image, volunteers at the homeless shelter on Saturdays kinda guy. It's fine if they are, but I'm not valuing that over football character. Do they love to play football, do they understand the game and want to learn more, do they make the guys around them better? Those are the pillars I care about.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Who says that signing Dunbar has anything to do with Cunningham ?
Just a guess

But do you think they would have given Dunbar a contract worth up to 3 mil , if Cunningham was still on the team ?

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Thinking about the Center position still makes me so freaking angry. We had a chance the last couple years to pick up a real quality Center, and Fisher didn't give a flying freak. He instead went with Tim freaking Barnes. Unbelievable.
Well to be fair, they put all their eggs in the Barrett freaking Jones basket. Sorry man, that probably isn't going to make you any happier.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Just a guess

But do you think they would have given Dunbar a contract worth up to 3 mil , if Cunningham was still on the team ?

Good point. I'm not sure if they would. But, a reason they might would be that Dunbar is mainly a 3rd down back. And, he's not a good pass protector. So, we know he wouldn't fill the same role that Cunningham has performed as a backup runner to Gurley, a pass catcher and protector on 3rd down and as a kick returner. IMO, I think he was signed regardless of Cunningham's future with the Rams.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well to be fair, they put all their eggs in the Barrett freaking Jones basket. Sorry man, that probably isn't going to make you any happier.

A lot of us had high hopes for Barrett Jones... alas it was not to be.

fearsomefour

Legend
Lance Dunbar

Quickness I would assume. I remember a couple of plays this year with him doing good work after the catch.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Two things...

There was a lot of loud negative talk about people not trying or giving up towards the end of the year and after week 17. I think we're seeing the results of that and it's refreshing. I don't know that we're going full on four pillars from the past but we seem to be as you said bringing in leaders that are good character people. It's one thing to have a coach talking it. But when the veterans are the kind of leaders that have always had the respect of the locker room it's a lot better than just some a 1st year coach preaching it.