Seems like Desperation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DickersonGurley

Naga...nagunnaposthereanymore
Name
Faulk
I am a lifelong cool aid drinking Ram fan...always think they have a shot...

But how does Mannion get screwed when he had absolutely ZERO responsibility for the debacle on Monday night? It's like they want to shut up the critics, but are missing the entire point. Personally I think Mannion deserves a shot. He's slow , his release isnt as fast...both things they say about Flacco. Im not saying he is the answer, just that he is better than Keenum, and building him up can do nothing but help this team. We blew it not trading Keenum to Denver.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
We haven't seen mannion in a real game so I'm not sure if he is better or not. He played well one PS game and now he is the answer? I agree with you he needs a shot just to see how good he is but fisher goes by intangibles instead of reality. I don't think fisher likes the way he takes chances to be honest he throws down the field more and fisher can't have that

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
This problem occurred in the first place because Fisher did not want Goff playing on the road, last Monday night, at all, so he put Goff as #3 which doesn't suit up. That way he's sure if Keenum got injured that Goff wouldn't play. Now as to WHY he didn't want Goff to see the field at all last week is an important question.

For the home opener though, he's more comfortable with Goff maybe going into the game if Keenum gets injured. The crowd will be quieter while were on offense. But yeah it's stupid that Mannion gets demoted without even playing a down. Problem is that Fisher talked Keenum up so much all off season, that he knows he'll look like the bad coach he is ... if he put Keenum down to the #3 QB. So sadly, Mannion suffers as the scapegoat.

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I am a lifelong cool aid drinking Ram fan...always think they have a shot...

But how does Mannion get screwed when he had absolutely ZERO responsibility for the debacle on Monday night? It's like they want to shut up the critics, but are missing the entire point. Personally I think Mannion deserves a shot. He's slow , his release isnt as fast...both things they say about Flacco. Im not saying he is the answer, just that he is better than Keenum, and building him up can do nothing but help this team. We blew it not trading Keenum to Denver.

Why are you overanalyzing this?

This isn't an indictment of Sean Mannion. It's Jared moving up. These 2 guys are most likely gonna be the 1, 2 for the long term. Case is providing a decent stop gap while they acclimate.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Fisher said before the first game that Goff would be the back up for the second game. He wanted him to enjoy the moment or some crap like that.

fearsomefour

Legend
This is just the business side of things. If Keenum needs to be replaced vs Seattle it will probably be Goff, but who knows?
You see this in baseball all the time. Does the best player or the guy with the best upside always get the gig? Hell no.
This is why you see a middle infielder with a good glove and average arm who hits .230 with no power playing while there has been a guy in AAA for three years who is at least as good on D a d hits for power. Why has he not been promoted? Cause the guy on the MLB team signed a 4 year $44 million dollar deal after one All Star season. In baseball the money is guarenteed, so, that contract protects the vet. I. The NFL draft position means a lot. Mannion was not a low round draft pick but Goff was first overall, that is akin to having an MLB guarenteed contract.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I don't get why people think Mannion was screwed over some how. Keenum was always the starter unless Goff was ready. That hasn't changed. Goff was not drafted #1 to sit behind Mannion. Period.
I think Mannion looking pretty good against 3-4th stringers in the preseason is a little misleading.
He was never going to start..

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have no problem with the leap frog move....It was determined before this draft that Mannion wasn't the long term answer, and therefore the Goff pick. I was disappointed last year that Mannion didn't more of a shot, but what can you do?
We have to know if Goff HAS IT!:yess:

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't get why people think Mannion was screwed over some how. Keenum was always the starter unless Goff was ready. That hasn't changed. Goff was not drafted #1 to sit behind Mannion. Period.
I think Mannion looking pretty good against 3-4th stringers in the preseason is a little misleading.
He was never going to start..
Perhaps, but then why draft him if he never had a chance to start? Was Tom Brady drafted in the 4th round as a backup only? Drafting QB's is a roll-the-dice proposition. We rolled the dice. We will see what happens.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well he just fumbled it. Lol
Maybe..but Mannion must have been horrific last year to not beat out Nick Foles and Keenum...We don't give a guy the starters role just because he's more senior....Goff was picked #1 Overall, and acknowledged as such well beyond those at Rams Park, so he gets the nod from me first....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion was "screwed over" the moment the Rams gave up an avalanche of draft value to move up for Goff.

From there none of this should be a surprise.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Said before and I'll say again, Mannion won't be developed here. At all. Period.

By the time Goff's situation is sorted out, the Rams will have lost Keenum as he's almost certainly gone after this season and there's no chance Mannion will stay past when he has to unless he's injured or has just abysmal outings which is unlikely since I think it would tall take an injury to Hekker for Mannion to throw a pass in a real game.

Goff's the guy. No question.

But this BS fiasco demonstrates that when it comes to QBs, Fisher doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground.

Broken scheme, no development, idiotic rep allocation... I could go on, but I used up all my negativity for the week in just this one post... Woooosaaaah.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
One could argue Mannion's stock is up and climbing. With Goff on board as the franchise QB, Mannion's value could be trade bait.

So the Rams are wise to keep him a little unknown, but used in favourable situations where he can put on a good show and stir interest.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not seen Goff in a real game either.
So who gets the nod then?..the guy that couldn't fight his way onto the field at last year vs Foles/Keenum, or the guy measured by the scouting department, multilple pick investment in the last draft to move up to get him because he's supposed to be a franchise QB? The answer seems easy to me, in terms of who try to develop first by playing....