Secondary and O-line - Similar Storylines

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Remember how long the Rams were known as having a terrible, just ungodly bad secondary? That lasted a long time, through multiple coaching regimes, and got rebuilt - slowly - over the course of the Fisher/Snead regime. Now look at it - they spent two picks in 2012, one in 2013 and two in 2014 on corners, one pick in 2013 and two in 2014 on safeties, and over the course of three years, they've built what is a perennial weak point of the team into, arguably, a pretty big strength.

What other unit has always been a Rams weakness? The O-line. Go all the way back to the end of the Martz era - once Ryan Tucker left, the RT spot became a revolving door... the Donut Brothers got old and retired... and ever since then, the RT spot and interior line have been massive weaknesses. "Bulgerizing" became a thing, and even without Martz calling seven-step drops and weirdly convoluted WR routes on every play, Rams QBs have gotten killed.

But could that be the next unit "fixed"? Greg Robinson is in place. Barrett Jones may have a spot on the starting line. And a couple of smart O-line draft choices could be 2015's equivalent of Joyner and Gaines - the final pieces to fill in both the starting-caliber and depth talent of a perennial weakness.

I'm hoping here, but remember back to how inept our secondary has been for years and years. The OL can be fixed... Fisher and Snead put a lot of effort, picks and coaching into the secondary. They can - and, I think, will - do the same with the O-line. Finally.

Big Willie

Starter
We clearly are still in need of a Guard, RT, and Center. A QB that could put a team on his shoulders could overcome those needs...but we don't have one of those either. Barksdale gets thrown out of a practice in week 17; not a good time when you are seeking a bigger contract. I can't put my hopes on any backups that can't beat out D Joseph.

As for the secondary, JJ hasn't gotten much better since his first year. Tru has been anything but stellar (see NYG game), McCleod disappears at times and can't adjust to a ball in the air (NYG games as an example), and these are our returning veteran starters. Strength, not so much.

Perhaps you are right.....or, Perhaps not!

Penguin.

Rookie
I can play corner better than Tru. Goodness he has been bad.

EJ and Marcus should be our starters. Not even joking.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Its a stretch to say that our secondary is a strength. Pretty low on Jenkins at this point. Would trade him for a 3rd in a heartbeat.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Trade a pro bowler for a 3rd rounder?? I would not do that but he does create himself a strong case to be placed on the trading block with all the busted coverages. J J's problem is between the ears

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would have to admit the CB play the last two games have left me with a sour stomach mostly due to Trumaine Johnson total dismal performance & Jenkins constant mental "Tard" mistakes from lack of tackle fundamentals, to being lost in the secondary, out of positions or untimely jumps or what ever brain farts he has picked up as of late. JJ & TJ certainly have displayed various large HOLES in their game. Both were outplayed by a 6th round rookie Gaines.

If Snead gets lucky again this 2015 draft and selects another thrid day CB pick like EJ Gaines again I would tend to let both these CB's walk into free agency at the end of 2015 season if they do not improve on this horse manure. Because they ended this season being :owned:by our opponents.

Win1-4Ned

Rookie
I think Janoris may have been playing with an injury. I've pretty much come to expect that he's going to lapse mentally, but he wasn't tackling yesterday like he had earlier in the season. He was much more aggressive early in the season and was an asset in run support. He wanted no point of contact yesterday.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
JJ is a good corner 90% of the time but that 10% when he's not is usually a killer.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I do think DCH draws a good parallel here.

Fish tried to get a jump on the secondary with Finnegan signing but the dude fell apart and they had to draft the position.

The OL is probably gonna be similar in that way. Long fell apart, now they clearly need to draft a couple OL like the did last year with CB one early and another mid to late round.

I do think we see one OL free agent at a minimum, starter type probably an OG. Maybe a vet depth type too.