Second-string Center Could Be Our Achilles Heel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
I think our Achilles heel is and seems to be regularly our offensive line, not the depth, but the starters. If we're concerned that our backup o-line is our weakness, then we're doing better than ever!

2 Achilles heels have been.
1) stupid penalties, especially false starts by Oline (even at home)
2) dropping the football. (In addition to poor route running).

Fully agree that we get to worrying about backups and injuries, we are progressing.
Sure hope it happens

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Want in on that bet also as I'm not a believer in Sullivan more than a coaching aid and once the real hitting and heat of competition hit we have heard our best FIVE will be playing. That means Wichman or Brown as mentioned by coach already will be our starting center. I too agree center might be a spot that will be highly contested. We know the size player Coach Kromer prefers at that spot also. I don't see Rhaney getting much of a shot. We have much bigger players that don't have to rely on that chop move to play.

My prediction is Brown Wichman fight to see who our starting first game of the season center is. The Boudreau nightmare is over and in Kromer we trust. Most Rams fans saw him as a major offseason hire and SUPER important for our teams success. I'm sure he is well paid in our ability to bring him from the broken up Bills coaching staff. Health will play a key. I see Sullivan possibly not making the final cut if we have a healthy Brown and Wichman dressed out to start the season. Of course it's Sean's team and he placed high importance on another TE that is more like the one he had with the Skins as Lamp was taken with the next pick after we traded down to #44. It was a very unusual first round that did'nt match any mock anyone had projected.

OL do take time and those offseasons of NFL weight training are just not replaceable. Having those four draftee's in their third year is the only reason we could afford to skip taking Lamp. I'll take Jamon Brown or Wichman as our starting center anyday as I know the background of both these bad ass guys. They will be a MAJOR upgrade over Tim Barnes getting steamrolled. Our best starting five should with good health and no injury runs be a very solid bunch. With Jared Goff making the calls as McVays offense calls for. Goff has to have an awesome offseason. Everyday is key. I will bet all my ROD money with my friend Bonifay that Sullivan never starts a real season game. Maybe a pre-season at most. Hope our cross trained guys grasp it by then. GO RAMS!!!

…..

Legend
Cody Wichmann has previously played some Center (in practices). Kromer talked about cross-training our guards at Center. It's possible that we see Wichmann or Brown as the #2 Center this year. I'd feel good about either there.

I feel good about Kromer. He's turned a lot of nobodies into solid or better starters.

Bingo. I'll just add this... I have always expected Wichmann, who currently charts as our backup RG behind Rob Havenstein, to end up as our backup or emergency center.

But as to the thread title.....Achilles heal? Thats rather dramatic. If I'm president of the world, I find a guard I can cross train as my backup center. Maybe two. It would make me feel more effecient and flexible. Then I send the boys out to play football and worry about the small stuff later. Vote for effeciency, and vote Dog in 2020.

Last edited:

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
You shouldn't feel that confident about John Sullivan. I hope it comes down to McMeans or Wichmann.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a feeling that Jamon Brown will be trained up at C - I honestly believe that if it was an issue then something would have ben done about it in the draft. It sounds like Kromer (and McCvay) have a plan - lets just see how it pans out.

But how could the new coaching staff really know? They really haven't done much besides strength training...It's before OTA's, before Training Camp (no pads), so how do they know anything about a 2nd string center possibilities? Has Brown played center in a real game? I know Rhaney and Wichman have, but not good enough to displace Barnes last season. How good does Sullivan look coming off an injury, in pads?

Kromer = Miracle Worker (we hope)

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
But how could the new coaching staff really know? They really haven't done much besides strength training...It's before OTA's, before Training Camp (no pads), so how do they know anything about a 2nd string center possibilities? Has Brown played center in a real game? I know Rhaney and Wichman have, but not good enough to displace Barnes last season. How good does Sullivan look coming off an injury, in pads?

They as this new coaching staff are taking a calculated risk. One I was shocked at until I heard whispers Lamp may have wrist issues. You don't want to get that out and hurt a young mans draft status if you can help it. Truly , until our top five in the eyes of Coach Kromer are successfull against our own in pads going 75% . As some coaches even hate going full speed against their own team. Thats why I'm glad we are near so many other teams we can have practices against.

I see this problem much bigger after what we've put on the field for so many years in a row. Until we prove we can actually be a top 10 or better OL then we can forget Playoffs. Jarod Goff will still be thinking too much with a new offense that HAS to be MUCH more diverse than fishers offense was under Boras. He will need a tight unit up front for all these "great" WR,TE ,HB,FB weapons that will be competing for targets and receptions. Not to mention the run game that should be secondary with McVay at the helm.

TOO much is said about how great this bunch performed in 2015 as they allowed only so many sacks and made room for Gurley to break some big runs. I watched every play in 2015 and bragging on our OL staff for their performance was not something I would ever base any decisions on. ANY. ( Except that Havenstein did not allow one sack as a rookie)I hope we are not once again putting too much stock in the coaching skills of Kromer although our new OLT Free Agent only practices once a week and should be their to actually help the whole unit gel faster. Not sure what Sullivan will add to the picture trying to coach up his replacement? I know this is not a do or die season with this coaching staff and training up OL is as slow as training our new TE weapon in Everett. Yet I'm sure Everett will at least have a set that he will focus on from day one that he will use this season to contribute hopefully and score through it. McVay can at least get a few sets across with good route running and timing with Goff.

Health was a major key after these 4 drafted OL had long college careers uninjured with exception of our Iowa ORT that had also played guard had an injury history but that Iowa system produces some of the best OL under The Ferentz family. HC & son. Havenstein,Brown & Wichman had very long streaks of uninjured starting . I thought that focus by scouts was a brilliant idea. Well injuries did hit hard last season and Sophmore slumps occured. We have a lot to fix and fill not knowing where and IF GRob can lockdown a position and be a top 5 OL from our active bunch. Too many question marks for me as an uneducated watcher. I did'nt get to see what made McVay and coaches believe they saw in walk throughs & could draft the way they did. None of us know how this will work out. There are no sure things for us. The Rams could sure use catching some breaks on a healthy season. Good luck to our Ram family and Coaches in their belief they can train up and cure all that ails us.

The wide reciever battle should be epic and worth the price of addmission to practice with every throw and result I'm sure being notated. Hope extra Juggs machines are on order. Even with that battle and decisions to be made. Offensive center is the key position I personally see a weakness this team MUST turn and solidify as a strength after camp is done. PERIOD.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You shouldn't feel that confident about John Sullivan. I hope it comes down to McMeans or Wichmann.

Why? Sullivan ranked very high last year..I understand the concern over durability, however, if Sullivan is healthy,he'll be a huge upgrade over Barnes in IMHO. I like the upside of McMeans and as to Wichmann, he'll have to prove something this summer to give me cause for optimism, but I would much rather go with a Center that anchored the Vikings' offensive line providing the platform for RB Adrian Peterson to reach 2,097 rushing yards for the season, eight yards short of the single-season record held by Eric Dickerson.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Why? Sullivan ranked very high last year..I understand the concern over durability, however, if Sullivan is healthy,he'll be a huge upgrade over Barnes in IMHO. I like the upside of McMeans and as to Wichmann, he'll have to prove something this summer to give me cause for optimism, but I would much rather go with a Center that anchored the Vikings' offensive line providing the platform for RB Adrian Peterson to reach 2,097 rushing yards for the season, eight yards short of the single-season record held by Eric Dickerson.
I've never heard our head coach, or anyone else on this staff mention, Wichmann, although he played well for us. I don't see him as a Center prospect, but I think J. Brown might thrive in that position, always have. Agree on Sullivan being a major upgrade, but depth is a question.

Looking forward to seeing the new guys.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Me too and let's not forget Jake Eldrenkamp, who looks the part!
C-sYHoVWsAA0fTf.jpg

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
C-sYHoVWsAA0fTf.jpg
He was included in my "New guys" comment. Lol. Looks like a Ram, for sure! He is like, a white, Enderman....shout out to my young homie, Rams fans.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I've never heard our head coach, or anyone else on this staff mention, Wichmann, although he played well for us. I don't see him as a Center prospect, but I think J. Brown might thrive in that position, always have. Agree on Sullivan being a major upgrade, but depth is a question.

Brown & Wichmann graded out as polar opposites by PFF. Wichmann is far better in pass pro, Brown far better in run blocking. Overall they graded quite close with Wichmann scoring just a bit higher, to my surprise. If this were Fisher going forward, i'd give Brown the upper hand, but with McVay's pass heavy approach, i'm thinking Wichmann may get the nod. Of course, both of them would have to prove worthy at performing the basics before offensive philosophy takes precedence. Honestly, I think both will get time to hone these skills, and Donnal may get in on the action himself. The more you can do to help your team, the longer the career. jmo.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Brown & Wichmann graded out as polar opposites by PFF. Wichmann is far better in pass pro, Brown far better in run blocking. Overall they graded quite close with Wichmann scoring just a bit higher, to my surprise. If this were Fisher going forward, i'd give Brown the upper hand, but with McVay's pass heavy approach, i'm thinking Wichmann may get the nod. Of course, both of them would have to prove worthy at performing the basics before offensive philosophy takes precedence. Honestly, I think both will get time to hone these skills, and Donnal may get in on the action himself. The more you can do to help your team, the longer the career. jmo.
They have NEVER mentioned Wichmann, to my surprise. Why? I don't know, it's arguable that Wichmann played better, even in my own assessment, but Brown, IMO translates to Center, Wichmann, does not. If Wichmann can improve his body...all players need to, including Brown, I don't see him as a Center conversion, but he could stick as a Guard. I like Donnal, probaly more than most based on the draft a couple years ago. He also needs to improve his strength, but I like the way he plays.

Lots of interesting scenarios on the OL this year, and I love the Kromer signing, maybe our best draft choice (y)(y)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
They have NEVER mentioned Wichmann, to my surprise. Why? I don't know, it's arguable that Wichmann played better, even in my own assessment, but Brown, IMO translates to Center, Wichmann, does not. If Wichmann can improve his body...all players need to, including Brown, I don't see him as a Center conversion, but he could stick as a Guard. I like Donnal, probaly more than most based on the draft a couple years ago. He also needs to improve his strength, but I like the way he plays.

Lots of interesting scenarios on the OL this year, and I love the Kromer signing, maybe our best draft choice (y)(y)

I recall Wichmann as being the only OG reportedly being 'trained-up' for a back-up role last season under Fisher, although I never heard for how long or how well it was working out. When hearing this I knew that Rhaney's days must be just about up. The story was that Wichmann & Rhaney required a good deal more strength training, it will be interesting to see how they come in to camp this season. jmo.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I recall Wichmann as being the only OG reportedly being 'trained-up' for a back-up role last season under Fisher, although I never heard for how long or how well it was working out. When hearing this I knew that Rhaney's days must be just about up. The story was that Wichmann & Rhaney required a good deal more strength training, it will be interesting to see how they come in to camp this season. jmo.
Yeah, agree on both. If Wichh can improve on that, he'll be on the roster. I feel the same about Donnal.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Want in on that bet also as I'm not a believer in Sullivan more than a coaching aid and once the real hitting and heat of competition hit we have heard our best FIVE will be playing. That means Wichman or Brown as mentioned by coach already will be our starting center. I too agree center might be a spot that will be highly contested. We know the size player Coach Kromer prefers at that spot also. I don't see Rhaney getting much of a shot. We have much bigger players that don't have to rely on that chop move to play.

My prediction is Brown Wichman fight to see who our starting first game of the season center is. The Boudreau nightmare is over and in Kromer we trust. Most Rams fans saw him as a major offseason hire and SUPER important for our teams success. I'm sure he is well paid in our ability to bring him from the broken up Bills coaching staff. Health will play a key. I see Sullivan possibly not making the final cut if we have a healthy Brown and Wichman dressed out to start the season. Of course it's Sean's team and he placed high importance on another TE that is more like the one he had with the Skins as Lamp was taken with the next pick after we traded down to #44. It was a very unusual first round that did'nt match any mock anyone had projected.

OL do take time and those offseasons of NFL weight training are just not replaceable. Having those four draftee's in their third year is the only reason we could afford to skip taking Lamp. I'll take Jamon Brown or Wichman as our starting center anyday as I know the background of both these bad ass guys. They will be a MAJOR upgrade over Tim Barnes getting steamrolled. Our best starting five should with good health and no injury runs be a very solid bunch. With Jared Goff making the calls as McVays offense calls for. Goff has to have an awesome offseason. Everyday is key. I will bet all my ROD money with my friend Bonifay that Sullivan never starts a real season game. Maybe a pre-season at most. Hope our cross trained guys grasp it by then. GO RAMS!!!

I'd say if that happens then you have a solid back up Center.
I won't say that he will lose his starting job right now ?? I just think that The Rams depth is a lot better than some Ram fans think.Having Sullivan on The Rams is huge .

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I feel good about John Sullivan being the needed upgrade at the moment but we also know he is coming off a serious injury.
That combined with his age and the usual need for a strong Second Stringer at such an important position.

If he goes down we have zero experienced players on the roster.

Rhaney is under-sized and more suited for a zone-blocking system rather than the hybrid system we run as well as he looked overpowered in pass protecting. I don't really see him making the team.

McMeans has the needed size but was consistently rated as a UDFA and brings zero experience. His play in pass protection sounds like a Barnes scouting report - Barnes ability to block at the second level on run plays.

So my bet as the new backup is Jake Eldrenkamp, 6'5/296.
He more than likely went undrafted because of his size.
He is considered more of a zone-blocking system type as well with decent footwork and technique. Hopefully he gained about 15 pounds.

I think they will also have to seriously look at other teams last cuts.
giphy.gif

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
We've been so devoid of talent on the roster for so long that im not used to seeing posts debating the ability of the back ups..

At one point we had guys like Kyle Boller, Bill Bajema, and Paris Lenon starting.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

I don't think Brown has played Centre - he was a Tackle in college...

The thing is - you can't really be sure of the guys you draft either, until game day. I'll just go with what Snead & McVay said about what Kromer thought of the OL class in this years draft - he was more excited by the guys already on the roster. Lets not forget we have a new OL coach - things will be different this year.

C-sYHoVWsAA0fTf.jpg

I have high hopes for this guy too - then again I said that about Barrett Jones - I thought he was the future C!

Last edited: