Second-string Center Could Be Our Achilles Heel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I feel good about John Sullivan being the needed upgrade at the moment but we also know he is coming off a serious injury.
That combined with his age and the usual need for a strong Second Stringer at such an important position.

If he goes down we have zero experienced players on the roster.

Rhaney is under-sized and more suited for a zone-blocking system rather than the hybrid system we run as well as he looked overpowered in pass protecting. I don't really see him making the team.

McMeans has the needed size but was consistently rated as a UDFA and brings zero experience. His play in pass protection sounds like a Barnes scouting report - Barnes ability to block at the second level on run plays.

So my bet as the new backup is Jake Eldrenkamp, 6'5/296.
He more than likely went undrafted because of his size.
He is considered more of a zone-blocking system type as well with decent footwork and technique. Hopefully he gained about 15 pounds.

I think they will also have to seriously look at other teams last cuts.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
We have McMeans, who could be a good backup C

There also still might be a way to get that Buffalo kid.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I doubt that( as far as the center depth being a weakness) ..... as I expect one of two senerios to happen ...leading to the same result.
1. Cody Wichmann wins the job outright in camp and Sullivan becomes a fine back up.
2. Sullivan holds onto the job though camp... suffers a minor injury CW gets into the lineup and never looks back.
In either of these senerios witch are more predictions than projections.

THE END RESULT: Cody Wichmann becomes a good to probowl type starting center.

Go Rams........ ;)

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have McMeans, who could be a good backup C

There also still might be a way to get that Buffalo kid.
I kind of doubt that because Buffalo did not draft a center and I don't see where they picked up one in a UDFA either.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I doubt that ..... as I expect one of two senerios to happen ...leading to the same result.
1. Cody Wichmann wins the job outright in camp and Sullivan becomes a fine back up.
2. Sullivan holds onto the job though camp... suffers a minor injury CW gets into the lineup and never looks back.
In either of these senerios witch are more predictions than projections.

THE END RESULT: Cody Wichmann becomes a good to probowl type starting center.

Go Rams........ ;)
I was advocating this last year so we wouldn't have to watch Barnes in pass protection.
Wichmann is a center if anything because he's too slow to get to the second level as a guard.

Here is hoping you are right.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am of the strong opinion that 1 or 2 of the 10 Ram OL'ers from last year roster will work out @ the center's post.

I just do not see it as an issue.Like I have said in the past that with the Line Calls being made by McVay the learning process will not be such a sharp steep learning curve as one where the center is responsible for such important duties..

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I am of the strong opinion that 1 or 2 of the 10 Ram OL'ers from last year roster will work out @ the center's post.

I just do not see it as an issue.Like I have said in the past that with the Line Calls being made by McVay the learning process will not be such a sharp steep learning curve as one where the center is responsible for such important duties..

Agreed, Bonifay.

I believe that Kromer is all over this and has a plan.

One of our existing OL will be our backup C.

He's done this before with great success, as you know.

No worries here, either.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Last year in Washington. ..starting center Kory Lichtensteiger was injured .... Sullivan came in and started 1 game that he got injured .... they moved Spencer Long over from guard to center.... although he had never played center before....he played at such a high level that he finished the season there and they are no longer looking for a starting center. I feel and predict that Cody can do the same here.... time will tell..... ;)

Go Rams....... ;)

Last edited:

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I think both McMeans and Eldrenkamp have a chance to make the team.... Also I think Pace Murphy may have played some center... We should be ok there.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Hell, our first string Center was an 'achilles' heal last season. I'm sure if McVay was as worried about it as some here, he'd do something about it. There is still plenty of time to train up a couple of our reserve guards for back-up duty, and there remains the possibility of a trade or a camp cut free agent/waiver player falling to us. I like Memphis' idea of trading Barron to the Bills for Groy, although i'd want an additional 2018 4'th rounder to make it so. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cody Wichmann has previously played some Center (in practices). Kromer talked about cross-training our guards at Center. It's possible that we see Wichmann or Brown as the #2 Center this year. I'd feel good about either there.

I feel good about Kromer. He's turned a lot of nobodies into solid or better starters.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
McVay's mentioned Brown converting to center a few weeks ago. It would fit with getting the five best players on the OLine.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rhaney is under-sized and more suited for a zone-blocking system rather than the hybrid system we run as well as he looked overpowered in pass protecting. I don't really see him making the team.

I somewhat disagree, Demetrius Rhaney had an excellent camp last year and played extremely well in preseason and is why he beat out Hard Knocks Star Eric Kush and IMO seemed a much better Center than Guard and I am interested to see how he is coached by Kromer.

That being posted Sullivan was able to hold up last season for 8 games and one other thing you have to factor in is that one of the other lineman like Cody Wichmann could also work at Center as well so that could improve the depth too..

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I have a feeling that Jamon Brown will be trained up at C - I honestly believe that if it was an issue then something would have ben done about it in the draft. It sounds like Kromer (and McCvay) have a plan - lets just see how it pans out.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I like Memphis' idea of trading Barron to the Bills for Groy, although i'd want an additional 2018 4'th rounder
Heck, I would trade Robinson for a bag of deflated footballs.
There's a reason Buffalo match our offer for Groy.
They wanted to keep him.

I don't see them giving Groy away for a flop offensive lineman.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I somewhat disagree, Demetrius Rhaney had an excellent camp last year and played extremely well in preseason.....and IMO seemed a much better Center than Guard and I am interested to see how he is coached by Kromer.
I hope you're right but the stumper is; how come he couldn't beat out Barnes?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Cross training a center sounds all good and I have felt Wichmann was the best candidate for that since they drafted him.

The problem is that Center is much more complicated than guard.

Have to make the line calls and you have to make them correctly.

We saw veteren Wells fudge several snaps at very critical times.
They were game killers.

A guard who just took up snapping has even more of a chance of doing that.

I do think that any of the players mentioned would at least keep the pocket from collapsing or being shoved into the quarterback like we saw with Barnes.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
As a sufferer of Battered Rams Fan Syndrome (BaRFS), I do not assume any free agent will pan out. So not only am I concerned about second-string C, I do not assume that Sullivan will automatically step back out on a field after not playing for so long and play well or stay healthy. Same with Whitworth, the "in 35-year old we trust" mentality boggles my mind after all we've seen go wrong over the last two decades, I can't just assume he lasts for a significant amount of time before being out with injury or has lost a step or three.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
As a sufferer of Battered Rams Fan Syndrome (BaRFS), I do not assume any free agent will pan out. So not only am I concerned about second-string C, I do not assume that Sullivan will automatically step back out on a field after not playing for so long and play well or stay healthy. Same with Whitworth, the "in 35-year old we trust" mentality boggles my mind after all we've seen go wrong over the last two decades, I can't just assume he lasts for a significant amount of time before being out with injury or has lost a step or three.

I too suffer from BaRFS

But my recent prescription has worked wonders. I've been take McvayLax as prescribed 2x a day and I feel great.
Whitworth will be rock solid all year, totally inury-free,
Back up Center? Who needs one?
Wait....i'm starting to see little Aaron Donalds everywhere... may have overdosed