SEC battle lines drawn in Rams locker room/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
SEC battle lines drawn in Rams locker room
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/14335/sec-battle-lines-drawn-in-rams-locker-room

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams guard Rodger Saffold finds himself in a precarious position this week.

Saffold and his locker are the only thing sitting between offensive linemen Barrett Jones and Tim Barnes. Barnes and Jones get along fine as backups to center Scott Wells most of the time, but they have a little something on the line this week heading into Saturday's SEC championship game.

Jones represents the megapower Alabama Crimson Tide, where he spent four seasons dominating and winning championships of all kind. Barnes represents upstart Missouri, where he was a part of the major football renaissance that has resulted in the Tigers' second trip to the SEC title game in as many seasons.

Trash talk has been kept to a minimum this week, with Jones remaining respectful but confident in his beloved Tide.

"I think we’ll be ready," Jones said. "I feel good about where we are and I expect the defense to be much better. We always play well in Atlanta. Obviously, I think we’re going to win so I feel confident about that and I’m excited."

Barnes, meanwhile, offers the hopeful optimism that goes with being a Tiger. Heartbreak has been the order of the day in Columbia for so long that many fans take everything with a grain of salt.

But Barnes played a big part in helping Mizzou become a contender again and also believes in his team.

"I think it will be a good game. I don't ever make predictions for games, never have," Barnes said. "Hopefully they come out with it. We'll see.

"Obviously, it speaks a lot to the quality of players they bring in. Everyone says they don't bring in the top athletes or the big star guys but it says a lot about the quality of coaches and the level of commitment from the players."

Jones and safety Mark Barron have even numbers against Barnes and cornerback E.J. Gaines, but the Mizzou presence in St. Louis, and even at Rams Park, is hard to overcome. Many members of the support staff have let Jones know what they think of the Crimson Tide.

If nothing else, the many Auburn alums in the building -- be it general manager Les Snead, linebackers Daren Bates and Will Herring, running back Tre Mason or tackle Greg Robinson -- almost certainly aren't rooting for Alabama.

Regardless of outcome, Jones knows it'll be an enjoyable time for all involved.

"It’s always big to win an SEC championship," Jones said. "At the same time our goal is to win the national championship every year. It’s always a big game whenever you play in Atlanta. I don’t know if you guys have been there but it’s the most fun game I think I have ever been to is the SEC championship."

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Hahaha

I just saw Tre Mason paying up on a bet on Instagram. He's wearing an Alabama shirt.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
new-mizzou-chrome-helmets-2013.jpg