Sebastian Joseph-Day bringing expanded skillset into Year 4

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sebastian Joseph-Day bringing expanded skillset into Year 4​

IRVINE, Calif. – Sebastian Joseph-Day has two years of starting experience under his belt, but his role was different during that time.

Across the the 2019 and 2020 seasons, he was tasked with being a run-stopping defensive lineman for Rams defensive line coach and run game coordinator Eric Henderson. Entering the 2021 season, Joseph-Day will be counted on to help rush the passer, too.

"(My pass rush) was a big thing for me and a big thing when I talked to Coach Henny," Joseph-Day said after Monday's practice at Rams Training Camp presented by UNIFY Financial Credit Union. "I think he really wanted me to hone in on pass rush ability. Working on moves and working in edge and seeing things quicker. So, a lot of my off season was spent on that."

That work begin in February alongside football coach and trainer Eddy McGilvra, who trains NFL defensive linemen and works with more than 40 NFL players – including some of Joseph-Days Rams teammates – and more than 100 college players

"He helped a lot," Joseph-Day said. "A lot of stuff that that I struggled with, he watched the tape of myself, things I wanted to work on, I told him, and we worked at it one day at a time."

Joseph-Day said they specifically honed in on counters, plus his strengths and weaknesses. It's a strategic choice, because no defensive lineman – body type, counter moves or otherwise – is the same.

"Everyone's different, everyone's body is different," Joseph-Day said. "You have to kind of find what suits you. What's your foundation? What (is) your go-to? Then some counters off of it. Your strengths, kind of like that."

Of course, the former Rutgers standout also credits Henderson and current and former teammates who were in his corner for his development, like Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald and former Rams defensive lineman Michael Brockers.

With the help of Henderson, Donald and Brockers, Joseph-Day was a key piece to the Rams' run defense, one that most recently finished No. 3 in the NFL in 2020. Now he will be expected to not only disrupt opponents' running backs, but help generate pressure on opposing passers for a defense that tallied the second-most sacks (53) in the NFL last season.

Unsurprisingly, his mentors are confident in his ability to get the job done.

"He just keeps getting better and better," Donald said after Wednesday's practice. "I think he grew into like a leadership role last year, just the way he was playing on the football field. So, he's going to continue to get better. He's a big-bodied guy, strong guy that can do it all. He's getting more confident and the more confident you get, he's a tough guy to try to block."

TexasRam

Legend
Countdown to SJD Critics
1628252487422.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Paging @oldnotdead get in here and defend yourself. :pointup:

:D

I love me some SJD. I like these harder worker types and he’s one of those.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am a fan of SJD. However, I do not see that he has the physical tools to really be depended on to generate much in this area. He is a steadying upward trending NT who is best at holding the fort down against the attacks & then letting the pass-rushing DL scouts run recon on the QB's. Fire hydrant NT Greg Gaines has a better ability to squeeze through the interior to apply pressure than SJD.

A'Shawn Robinson has yet to show any ability to apply pressure too. But at least he does get his extra-long arms & mitts up to bat down passes when he is still lurking @ the LOS. With rookie Bobby Brown injured I have no idea what he can bring to the interior pass rush???

Have seen some positive stuff on this unknown Rookie UDFA DL named George Silvanic though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
A'Shawn Robinson has yet to show any ability to apply pressure too. But at least he does get his extra-long arms & mitts up to bat down passes when he is still lurking @ the LOS. With rookie Bobby Brown injured I have no idea what he can bring to the interior pass rush???
Yeah been focusing on him a bit on my boredom tour through last year's games and I'll say that I hope losing weight helps him out. Because he got trucked by duos on a routine basis. Maybe him having some threat of speed will change that equation idk.

What's gonna annoy me is if McVay sits his ass through preseason. Because IMO he needs work and snaps to get himself into game shape. Letting him have the preseason games off and hoping he can do it might lead to losing a promising depth option IMO.

Also want to see a ton of BB. We really did get pushed around a lot up front by some teams, most notably of course SF but not just them. Praying they have the pieces to rectify that shit.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah been focusing on him a bit on my boredom tour through last year's games and I'll say that I hope losing weight helps him out. Because he got trucked by duos on a routine basis. Maybe him having some threat of speed will change that equation idk.

What's gonna annoy me is if McVay sits his ass through preseason. Because IMO he needs work and snaps to get himself into game shape. Letting him have the preseason games off and hoping he can do it might lead to losing a promising depth option IMO.

Also want to see a ton of BB. We really did get pushed around a lot up front by some teams, most notably of course SF but not just them. Praying they have the pieces to rectify that shit.
Agreed!

Robinson IMO has yet to show up as a Ram. Add in the fact that the Rams did lose two DL'ers who did show up last season in Morgan Fox & Micheal Brockers. If Robinson continues to turn in more of what we saw in 2020 then the Rams would be in a bad position going forward due to the amount of Dead Cap $6,500,000 that is tied up in him. It does not get much better either in 2022 in cap ramifications. I think right now he was a really bad investment.....but hoping I will be totally wrong.

DL Coach Henderson has a good young trio of known college-run stuffers in Gaines, Copeland & Hoecht. They all have some size.