Sean will learn

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Eagles had 40 more offensive snaps than we did today. The Eagles had many long drives, and the Rams attacked quickly and lethally. The problem, though, is that we are not controlling the ball long enough, and our defense is getting gassed and that opens us up for injuries. I think Sean is going to have to see how his defense is looking, and take that into some consideration with the way he is calling the offense. But he seems too busy charting his offense while our defense is on the field. Sure he sees the results of what happens against our defense, but he's not seeing the hands on the hips and heavy breathing. I guess I'm still trying to get used to seeing a head coach not watching the field while his defense is playing. Todd should get more touches, but man it looks like we either are driving 100 mph or 20. We need to find a good gear for controlling games when we have a lead, and not go into fisher mode.

TexasRam

Legend
I’ve heard all the complaints everyone is making about us not running the ball enough in this game or the Seattle or Minnesota game.

Personally I can’t stand the prevent offense. I hate it worse than the prevent defense. I’ve seen hundreds of games lost because teams get a lead and want to play it safe with too much time left and so go in to heavy run mode. It often fails just like a heavy pass offense can when there is an interception or sack and fumble.

I think in this game though since the eagles were the top running defense, the plan was to go pass heavy. Why beat your head against a brick wall?! Mcvay saw the success Gurley was having in this game and the last two possessions actually did run Gurley. But he gained -3 yards and no yards. I think he thought the eagles were clamping down on the run like they can when they commit to it.

I liked the call to take a shot deep with Sammy and end the game. It takes balls to do that. The problem was without Havenstein at RT you should not expect the same amount of time to throw there. Jared should learn from this and Sean too. In the future in this situation I would implement my short passing game with go to guy Kupp and Gurley out of the backfield in dumpoffs.

We need to learn how to close out games with our short passing game. Against most teams you can mix in heavy run if it’s working. I don’t mind the call vs Philly to close it out through the air but with a backup tackle in there a deep route is too risky.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
I see what you're saying.
Gurley scored quickly after the defence got off to a great start.
I was also thinking the Eagles are keeping our defence on the field for long drives.
However, I'll take the scored points over anything else and, all things considered, its a testament to our team and their spirit that it was so close.

It could be argued that with some cooler heads we could have won that game.
It shouldn't have been left down to a few lateral passes with one second left.

The unsportsmanlike conduct did fuck us over.
We should have nailed Foles more and more.
Then at least the last play of the game should have been a bomb up field instead of passing it back.
Go out on your shield.

It was a hard fought game.
Apart from the Minnesota game, the other losses have positives and were extremely close, but we just couldn't seal them.

I'm hugely frustrated and disappointed, yet remain upbeat that we still have the ability to beat anyone.
Any team playing us will seriously have to do their homework.
We are a threat. And we are for real.
We have exceeded expectations.
But... Please run Gurley more. The guy's definitely got the skills to be the best RB in the game.
He was well up for that game last night.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I think in this game though since the eagles were the top running defense, the plan was to go pass heavy. Why beat your head against a brick wall?! Mcvay saw the success Gurley was having in this game and the last two possessions actually did run Gurley. But he gained -3 yards and no yards. I think he thought the eagles were clamping down on the run like they can when they commit to it.

Part of the reason Philly has the no 1 rushing defense is because teams have the fewest rushing attempts against them. Wentz and the offense take big leads early and teams are forced to pass out of a hole, and that plays right into their hands. Opposing teams have a 67/33 pass run ratio when playing the Eagles this season. Rams were 19/7 in the first half.

You can run on them, the Rams showed that yesterday, but you have to stick with it and not be intimidated because one or two runs weren't successful.

Rams can control a game with passing but it's just not as effective without Robert Woods on the field.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
People tend to forget, McVay is a rookie head coach. We’ve been completely spoiled this year. 11 wins makes the playoffs. Lets just get there.

Ram65

Legend
Going for the deep pass was the big problem. Replacement RT and long developing play was a bad call. McVay likes those deep shots but he need some first downs. He has done before and I think it's his nature. The defense didn't get off the field which didn't help.

fearsomefour

Legend
People tend to forget, McVay is a rookie head coach. We’ve been completely spoiled this year. 11 wins makes the playoffs. Lets just get there.
Not spoiled at all. After over a decade of bumbling. Ecstatic what the team has done.
Silliness like Tru flag though. Very stupid and frustrating.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I’ve heard all the complaints everyone is making about us not running the ball enough in this game or the Seattle or Minnesota game.

Personally I can’t stand the prevent offense. I hate it worse than the prevent defense. I’ve seen hundreds of games lost because teams get a lead and want to play it safe with too much time left and so go in to heavy run mode. It often fails just like a heavy pass offense can when there is an interception or sack and fumble.

I liked the call to take a shot deep with Sammy and end the game. It takes balls to do that. The problem was without Havenstein at RT you should not expect the same amount of time to throw there. Jared should learn from this and Sean too. In the future in this situation I would implement my short passing game with go to guy Kupp and Gurley out of the backfield in dumpoffs.

We need to learn how to close out games with our short passing game. Against most teams you can mix in heavy run if it’s working. I don’t mind the call vs Philly to close it out through the air but with a backup tackle in there a deep route is too risky.
Yep. Should have been a quick pass to keep the chains moving and kill time.

Ellard80

Legend
I like McVay's attack attitude.. but yeah sometimes it will backfire. In the press conference he was saying that his long pass call was the wrong call. It is tough... how aggressive or how conservative do you be? Both can win or lose the game.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The Eagles scored 3 early TD's when the D should not be gassed. In fact, I saw when the Eagles D was gassed. But our defense couldn't force a quick punt when we were in a position to put it away if we get the ball right back. Bad day overall by the defense. Mistakes with the penalties gifted them points.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Our offense isn't kind to our defense. And there have been sometimes it has shown up in TOP stats (Time of Possession). But I'm sure they'd be the first ones to stand up and applaud when we strike fast. It's simply a by product of our playmakers. Now that been said, I have been noting there are times we go for the home run, when a dump down will keep us in front of the chains and our defense fresher. And I believe that will be a point of emphasis in the offseason, when it gets here. Prolonged drives hurt the other team (as they hurt us....). And w/ our speed it should be easier to achieve longer drives. Not by "hitting the big play." But by using the speed we have smartly. Who is pissed off that our Jet Sweep now comes w/ "happy feet." Instead of picking a point and outrunning someone to it. If that comes back, all of a sudden our jet sweep motion becomes much more effective. And please, Pharoh Cooper did the same thing last week when he was given the chance. Yes, there are yards made, But the motion is more about taking attention away from 6-10 plays by Gurley. Not by giving carries to a gadget guy who will get 7-10 yards, once, maybe twice a game. And once that motion is established, then our play action is more effective. Who noticed early the Eagles LBs wasn't paying any attention to our running game and was flooding the short zones? We were lucky we didn't have one picked off before we changed our tune.
Yes, Sean has much to learn, and he's smart enough to admit that. But I will have to admit.....this is a much better ride than anything we've have for some time. We can still talk about the warts there is. But we'd still want to take this one to the dance and maybe....just maybe she'll take us there.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
our defense is getting gassed and that opens us up for injuries.
Meh...our defense has flaws....DL are a little too small...not strong at the point of attack....check out yards per carry against....whatever it is...it's terrible...Our inside linebackers are too small and have trouble getting off blocks...well, not exactly true...Barron IS too small....Tree isn't but he's hurt and plays small when injured I guess. Could control their TE either.

We weren't GASSED in the first half...they were just dominated. Corners were unable to make 3rd down stops...part players (team speed back their is horrible)....part of it was Wentz....dude makes plays on 3rd down.

Webster hasn't played a whole season in his life....so we never knew he was an injury concern....Samson came down to earth...pretty bad game for him....didn't see Quinn much...needed him too...

Brocker & Aaron Donald are the only players I'd say are untouchable...on D
The problem was without Havenstein at RT you should not expect the same amount of time to throw there.
Don't like Williams as a backup....but

This play wasn't entirely on him....check how long Goff has to throw...under 4 seconds? then lets talk.....

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Our offense isn't kind to our defense. And there have been sometimes it has shown up in TOP stats (Time of Possession). But I'm sure they'd be the first ones to stand up and applaud when we strike fast. It's simply a by product of our playmakers. Now that been said, I have been noting there are times we go for the home run, when a dump down will keep us in front of the chains and our defense fresher. And I believe that will be a point of emphasis in the offseason, when it gets here. Prolonged drives hurt the other team (as they hurt us....). And w/ our speed it should be easier to achieve longer drives. Not by "hitting the big play." But by using the speed we have smartly. Who is ticked off that our Jet Sweep now comes w/ "happy feet." Instead of picking a point and outrunning someone to it. If that comes back, all of a sudden our jet sweep motion becomes much more effective. And please, Pharoh Cooper did the same thing last week when he was given the chance. Yes, there are yards made, But the motion is more about taking attention away from 6-10 plays by Gurley. Not by giving carries to a gadget guy who will get 7-10 yards, once, maybe twice a game. And once that motion is established, then our play action is more effective. Who noticed early the Eagles LBs wasn't paying any attention to our running game and was flooding the short zones? We were lucky we didn't have one picked off before we changed our tune.
Yes, Sean has much to learn, and he's smart enough to admit that. But I will have to admit.....this is a much better ride than anything we've have for some time. We can still talk about the warts there is. But we'd still want to take this one to the dance and maybe....just maybe she'll take us there.

Gurley was having a terrific day and he only got 13 carries. I know they don't want to overuse him so he has more stamina late in the season. But we're in the late season right now. He can really help with that time of possession.

The perfect scenario is a quick strike offense early and a ball control offense later. But how many times can a team do that? Circumstances dictate what you do. You take the points however you can get them. We might not be a ball control offense but we can score points. Hence the big improvement from previous seasons of trying to control the clock.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Gurley was having a terrific day and he only got 13 carries. I know they don't want to overuse him so he has more stamina late in the season. But we're in the late season right now. He can really help with that time of possession.

The perfect scenario is a quick strike offense early and a ball control offense later. But how many times can a team do that? Circumstances dictate what you do. You take the points however you can get them. We might not be a ball control offense but we can score points. Hence the big improvement from previous seasons of trying to control the clock.
The problem w/ using Gurley more, is that defenses are designed to take him away. And I will admit to a point McVay is getting too cute. (I was going to write one of my "Diatribes" about this subject.....) We have to use the pass to get him to a point where he will be effective. We set the tone early by passing more than expected. This allowed us (after their 'adjustments" at halftime....) to run whenever. But where McVay was wrong. We could have ran more than we did. And use the lesser routes as a run. This would have kept the Eagles defense on the field more. But if we just come out and give the traditional run attack....we will look like we did in the first game against Seattle when running. We get stuffed. We don't have the road graders up front like Dallas. Our guys are more set up to pass block or get one of those pass/run options (which we almost always pass.....). We have to find the spots to run to be more effective and there are places out there. And I agree McVay go Martz on us every once in a while. I think all good playcallers do from time to time.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock

I'm one that calls for more carries for Gurley...it's not run heavy I want, its balance and use your best playmaker.

If it's the screen game for Gurley where he rips off a 20 yarder ...I'm all good with that.

25 touches

I'm with the "he had 8 yards a carry" crowd.