Sean Peyton Dream appears crushed: Twitter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...es-five-saints-assistants-including-joe-vitt/

Saints coach Asshole Face is making a major change to his coaching staff.

Payton has fired five assistants: Joe Vitt, Bill Johnson, Greg McMahon, Stan Kwan and James Willis, according to Alex Marvez of Sporting News.

Vitt is the most noteworthy name on that list. He has served as Payton’s assistant head coach since 2006 and was the Saints’ interim head coach in 2012, when Payton was suspended for Bountygate.

Also noteworthy is that Payton clearly thinks it’s time to improve his special teams: McMahon was special teams coordinator and Kwan was assistant special teams coach.

Johnson coached the Saints’ defensive line, and Willis was a linebackers assistant.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bones better not go over there! We need him here.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any chance he did this without GM approval and that will pizz off the upper management??

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Always liked Joe Vitt. Isn't he the one who filled in for Mike Martz and showed gladiator movies to the Rams players?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If he knows that Loomis is going to try to trade him, then maybe he is letting his guys go early to get them a jump on finding a new job.

Long shot, I know

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Hahaha

Only to Rams fans would 5 playoff trips in 10 years and a Super Bowl win be not producing as a Head Coach.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hahaha

Only to Rams fans would 5 playoff trips in 10 years and a Super Bowl win be not producing as a Head Coach.

I'm not even sure why. We haven't seen a winning season or playoff trip in well over a decade. Kind of amazing that we're too good for a coach with a career winning percentage of nearly 60%, a Super Bowl ring, and consistently elite offenses.

FRO

Legend
That was never even remotely likely to happen in the first place.
Agree. Rams didn't have the draft picks to trade and get the coach. I don't know who floated the rumor. Maybe Payton's agent wanted to get his guy more money out of it. Also if Payton has another losing season and the defense is atrocious again, you'd think he could be a candidate to be fired.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree. Rams didn't have the draft picks to trade and get the coach. I don't know who floated the rumor. Maybe Payton's agent wanted to get his guy more money out of it. Also if Payton has another losing season and the defense is atrocious again, you'd think he could be a candidate to be fired.

Payton got a $9 million per year extension last off-season. There was no need to do that. My best guess is that Payton was willing to consider it, but the Saints are not.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Do the Saints have an inside guy to replace Payton? My head is mush this morning... can't remember.

Otherwise... just like us... there isn't a huge list of sure fire replacements out there. All come with risk, while that's not much different than normal, the degree of risk feels higher due to the lack of experience with the top names.

Unless he is causing some internal grief, there is considerable risk replacing him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do the Saints have an inside guy to replace Payton? My head is mush this morning... can't remember.

Otherwise... just like us... there isn't a huge list of sure fire replacements out there. All come with risk, while that's not much different than normal, the degree of risk feels higher due to the lack of experience with the top names.

Unless he is causing some internal grief, there is considerable risk replacing him.

Yes and no. They have Dennis Allen, but he's not an inspiring hire. They could hire Doug Marrone, who was Payton's first OC in New Orleans. Again, though, I think most would consider him a step down.

Accordingly, I think the only chance they consider a trade is if they were considering trying to push him out (so they don't have to pay him $9 million per year to sit at home). It doesn't seem like they're at that point yet.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Hahaha

And that Super Bowl year was largely in due for their defense being one of the most opportunistic and highest scoring defenses. Coordinated by the guy the Rams are currently about to let go (if not already).

Also, I never said he didn't produce. I don't think he's gonna waive a magic wand and make everything better. A lot of things go right for winning teams. I do think he's very overrated and you might get the same results with a coordinator or a former coach, without losing picks or giving him an insane amount of cash. Which is what I'm worried what Stan will do. We'll see though.