Sean McVay with Rich Eisen on Jared Goff, Plans For The Rams & More

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WvuIN02

Starter
He did mention that they need to work on making him a more complete WR. I think that's a nice guy way of saying he's kind of useful now but needs to actually be able to play a football position before we can really use him in a football game. But I might be reading into it a bit much.
Yea, thats not what he said.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I have heard him asked the same questions about the same players and his answers never very. He is consistent and because of this, I believe he is genuine in his answers. I also think that if his message to the team is consistent and genuine, they will follow and it will be easier to turn the team around. It will also get him thru the inevitable bad times.
There is more to this guy, then just good Xs and Os. He has intangibles that not every coach has. We will learn more about him obviously as the season unfolds, but right know my first impressions of this guy are very favorable.

The one new thing I heard was him talking about his first interview and the 2 hrs he spent with Goff. How he was very interested in what Goff thought of his first year and that Goff didn't once make any excuses or point fingers at anybody else. He just owned it and wanted to find ways to improve. Another guy who gets it. Goff is also going to be a good leader.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He really does sound just like Gruden.

I didn't like Smith as a player, but I like him a lot as an analyst.

I think things are going to change every year, but this might finally be the one. It just feels like we have all the components and the right guy to put them together.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great interview. McVay impressed Steve Smith with the interview process McVay went through and actually breaking down Goff's recorded mistakes. He never actually confirmed Eisen's question about picking the Rams because Goff was in place, but he authentically explained the good things that he saw in his new QB.....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Rich Eisen made the comment the day after when talking about this interview that Smith said afterwards something to the affect that too bad he was retired he'd have loved to play for this guy. Think he'll take the Rams far.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
There is more to this guy, then just good Xs and Os. He has intangibles that not every coach has. We will learn more about him obviously as the season unfolds, but right know my first impressions of this guy are very favorable.
It's like he is doing what he was born and raised, all his life, to do!(y);):D

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
He really does sound just like Gruden.

I didn't like Smith as a player, but I like him a lot as an analyst.

I think things are going to change every year, but this might finally be the one. It just feels like we have all the components and the right guy to put them together.

So much this!

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
McVay must be clueless, I guess he needs the Tavon haters here to set him straight lol

I was responding to this, which implies that McVay understands something that people who think Austin needs significant improvement at basic WR skills don't.

Conveniently left out all the good parts??

So I "conveniently" only addressed that point, saying that McVay does understand that Austin needs to become a WR if we're going to line him up at WR.

Austin is an explosive play maker and that's great. Unfortunately he's not also a valuable part of an every down offense, which sucks. McVay said he's a great playmaker who needs to bone up on his basic WR skills. Sounds like the exact take of a hater (a term used to describe someone whose opinion you won't even consider because you're mind is already made up and you refuse to try and understand; the term hater never leads to productive discussions).

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I used to hate, strong word for me, rarely used, but hated Steve Smith Jr., but...I really like him as a commentator, really like him, he comes off as super honest, and not as the diva that I thought he was. He has a future in the business, if he doesn't mess it up. Great, original perspective.

About our HC...man love. He will be with us a long time, and we will love him!

Tavon talk...the dude has to earn it. I love his play making ability, who doesn't, but too many dropped passes, doesn't get open enough consistently, and rarely beats anybody deep. Those are facts. If we can turn him into Desean Jackson, we are golden.

WvuIN02

Starter
No, but he DID say they needed to teach him how to become a "complete WR. Learn the route tree" ... did he not?
Which is fine if you take it in context to everything else he said. Maybe he will have coaches who have a clue about that side of the ball now, so let's see how it plays out. He also said he did a good job controlling what he could control, and everyone and their brother knows how inept the previous staff was at developing offensive talent.

I know its crazy, but I'll trust Steve Smiths analysis of Tavon.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Which is fine if you take it in context to everything else he said. Maybe he will have coaches who have a clue about that side of the ball now, so let's see how it plays out. He also said he did a good job controlling what he could control, and everyone and their brother knows how inept the previous staff was at developing offensive talent.

One big thing that I came away with, and as a former coach of many years...I love that our HC looks at our player strengths, and then works the system around them, and doesn't try to fit square pegs in round holes...probably Fisher's downfall. By the way, that really open up the draft, and drafting the BPA. Get a good player, and we will put him in a position to succeed, and that is why McVay will continue to be a successful in this league.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The so-called "shots" at Jeff Fisher were unprofessional, especially with the new coach right there.

Second, Jeff Fisher didn't "screw it up", it was a bad way all around. TGII had his share of issues too.

Third it's ironic that Steve Smith was taking shots at Jeff Fisher, then goes right around and mentions the 80 yard TD pass to Tavon.

Well who would've designed it? Internet fans? Nah, it was the coaching staff. Also, that was the last time the Rams had a good, healthy QB and WR combo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The so-called "shots" at Jeff Fisher were unprofessional, especially with the new coach right there.

Second, Jeff Fisher didn't "screw it up", it was a bad way all around. TGII had his share of issues too.

Third it's ironic that Steve Smith was taking shots at Jeff Fisher, then goes right around and mentions the 80 yard TD pass to Tavon.

Well who would've designed it? Internet fans? Nah, it was the coaching staff. Also, that was the last time the Rams had a good, healthy QB and WR combo.

I'm not sure why you treat it as your duty to defend a coach who isn't here anymore. But no, the shots at Fisher weren't unprofessional. Smith is an analyst. That's what he does.

As for the TD to Tavon, not sure why he'd give effusive praise to Fisher (well, Schottenheimer, really) for Tavon running past a CB on a go route. It should have happened more often.

No reason to make excuses for a coach who was fired. Fisher did screw it up. Fisher is a grown man; he can take the criticism.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

I just answered the question you asked. and I think it explains itself. I'm not trying to "read between the lines". You asked a question and it was answered