Sean McVay: Robert Woods probably out two more games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/01/sean-mcvay-robert-woods-probably-out-two-more-games/

Sean McVay: Robert Woods probably out two more games
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on December 1, 2017

873376766-e1512111142543.jpg

Getty Images

Los Angeles Rams wide receiver Robert Woods missed last Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Saints and won’t play this week against the Arizona Cardinals either.

A shoulder injury has forced the Rams’ leading receiver to the sidelines for the time being. The team would certainly like to have Woods back in time for next week’s matchup against the NFC leading Philadelphia Eagles. However, head coach Sean McVay indicated on Thursday that possibility may not be all that likely.

I think a more realistic target would be the Seattle game,” McVay said, via Alden Gonzalez of ESPN.com.

“A couple weeks from now is probably what’s the most realistic approach. But you never know with Robert.”

The Rams travel to face the Seahawks on Dec. 17. He was injured two weeks ago in Minnesota while being tackled by safety Harrison Smith. The play left Woods with a sprained left shoulder.

Woods has caught 47 passes for 703 yards this season for the Rams after leaving the Buffalo Bills in free agency.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Shoulders are hard to pin down with regard to a timetable..Wouldn't really be surprised if it was a little longer than that...

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Sucks, but on the bright side, it gets reps for Reynolds and thus bolsters our depth.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
How many teams can lose their number 1 receiver and say they're not worried?

Love this offense.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
A WR core of Watkins, Kupp, Reynolds, Cooper, and Austin is more than capable and offers lots of different skill sets. Hopefully Woods is back soon but there is no need to rush things. Heal up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He may be missed against the Eagles. I have seen Watkins get upset and physical with corners when things aren't going his way. He also quits on routes, when he thinks the ball isn't coming his way, as we all know too. Those are bad traits to have in close games against good teams.

On the bright side, we see more into the future with Reynolds.

When Snead acquired Sammy, for a second round pick, it seemed like a great trade. I thought it was a no-brainer that they would sign him after the season. Now I am not so sure they do. I am not so sure I would want them to either. So, now it looks like they overpaid. I know the threat of Sammy going deep helps open things underneath, but it seems Reynolds is plenty fast enough to do that job. Watkins is filling Woods role admirably in his absence but Sammy seems like a player they won't absolutely have to have, or more importantly, have to pay going forward.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
He may be missed against the Eagles. I have seen Watkins get upset and physical with corners when things aren't going his way. He also quits on routes, when he thinks the ball isn't coming his way, as we all know too. Those are bad traits to have in close games against good teams.

On the bright side, we see more into the future with Reynolds.

When Snead acquired Sammy, for a second round pick, it seemed like a great trade. I thought it was a no-brainer that they would sign him after the season. Now I am not so sure they do. I am not so sure I would want them to either. So, now it looks like they overpaid. I know the threat of Sammy going deep helps open things underneath, but it seems Reynolds is plenty fast enough to do that job. Watkins is filling Woods role admirably in his absence but Sammy seems like a player they won't absolutely have to have, or more importantly, have to pay going forward.

Sammy has had his hiccups coming in late it's expected. As for reynolds he did ok but to say 4 rec for 37 yards is filling in for woods admirably is a tad delusional imho

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sammy has had his hiccups coming in late it's expected. As for reynolds he did ok but to say 4 rec for 37 yards is filling in for woods admirably is a tad delusional imho

Eh, Goff underthrew him on what should have been a TD (which is understandable considering Reynolds hasn't been out there with Goff all year). With that, he ends up with 5 receptions for 70ish yards and 2 TDs. Josh played a good game, especially for a rookie seeing his first extended action.

However, I'd try to keep Sammy if his demands are reasonable. He's a major deep threat. And I don't see us having four talented WRs as being an issue. I'm sure McVay can figure out a way to use all four. (y)

I'd also love to see us target Josh deep at least a couple times against Arizona. Their #2 CB isn't good. I also wouldn't mind seeing us throw a fade to him in the red-zone. It would be nice if he proves himself to be the sort of WR who wins those 50/50 balls. Would earn him a role with us this year (as a red-zone WR).

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Eh, Goff underthrew him on what should have been a TD (which is understandable considering Reynolds hasn't been out there with Goff all year). With that, he ends up with 5 receptions for 70ish yards and 2 TDs. Josh played a good game, especially for a rookie seeing his first extended action..

I'm not saying he didnt have a good game for rookie wide out I believe he did. Woods however he was not.

TexasRam

Legend
Need all hands on deck for the Seattle game and to close out the season. So let
Him heal up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not saying he didnt have a good game for rookie wide out I believe he did. Woods however he was not.

Elm never said he was Woods. Elm said that Reynolds showed good things against the Saints and could be in line to replace Sammy next year if we let him walk. What Reynolds needs to show this year is improvement and promise. He doesn't need to be Woods at this point in time. Frankly, Kupp stepped up into that Woods role.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Eh, Goff underthrew him on what should have been a TD (which is understandable considering Reynolds hasn't been out there with Goff all year). With that, he ends up with 5 receptions for 70ish yards and 2 TDs. Josh played a good game, especially for a rookie seeing his first extended action.

However, I'd try to keep Sammy if his demands are reasonable. He's a major deep threat. And I don't see us having four talented WRs as being an issue. I'm sure McVay can figure out a way to use all four. (y)

I'd also love to see us target Josh deep at least a couple times against Arizona. Their #2 CB isn't good. I also wouldn't mind seeing us throw a fade to him in the red-zone. It would be nice if he proves himself to be the sort of WR who wins those 50/50 balls. Would earn him a role with us this year (as a red-zone WR).

If there is enough cap room. It depends on if other teams see his flaws and offer less than he expects.

I have a hunch Sammy wants to reunite with Desean and Deandre in Houston to recapture the glory days. If he leaves a second round pick for a year is pretty bad.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

To me that’s all been blown out of proportion. Like he said when they talked to him and wanted him to come in and be the number 1 receivers that comes with certain expectations but he went a stretch where he only saw like 4 targets in 3 games that would frustrate any competitor.

But that whole thing is behind him now and the injury to woods is a blessing in disguise because now Watkins is getting more integrated into the offense and that only makes our offense more dangerous when woods get back

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a hunch Sammy wants to reunite with Desean and Deandre in Houston to recapture the glory days. If he leaves a second round pick for a year is pretty bad.

I believe we get a 3rd round compensatory pick if we lose him. It was a good trade. Maybe he stays.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
If there is enough cap room. It depends on if other teams see his flaws and offer less than he expects.

You could be right about him.

It seems like he likes it here tho. Winning team on the upswing or a team surrounded by uncertainty

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I hope we get a Nice surprise and Woods is back for the Philly Game!

That would be awesome. Coaches knowing he will be here for Philly but announcing it at game time. Eagles would have something to think about.