Sean McVay refuses to let injuries define Rams circumstances

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Sean McVay refuses to let injuries define Rams circumstances: "We're certainly not going to make any excuses"

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Down a starting left guard for the rest of the year, a starting cornerback indefinitely and potentially a starting safety, head coach Sean McVay won't let the Rams' current circumstances dictate their performance the remainder of the season.

"It's been unfortunate, but it is something that a lot of teams have to deal with," McVay said. "We're certainly not going to make any excuses."

The number of setbacks announced Monday included three starters.

LG Joe Noteboom was ruled out for the season with a torn ACL and MCL sustained in the Rams' Week 6 loss to the 49ers. CB Aqib Talib's rib injury against the Seahawks in Week 5 that forced him to miss the 49ers game turned out to be fractured ribs which will sideline him indefinitely. Safety John Johnson III is getting a second opinion Tuesday on the shoulder injury he sustained against the 49ers before a determination is made on his availability, according to McVay.

While outside speculation will suggest various moves for the Rams to find some of those replacements immediately prior to the NFL's Oct. 29 trade deadline, McVay is confident in the options Los Angeles has on its current roster.

Jamil Demby and rookie David Edwards are candidates to replacement Noteboom, while fourth-year veteran Troy Hill will continue to start in place of Talib. Another fourth-year vet, Marqui Christian, would step in for Johnson should he end up missing an extended amount of time.

"Those are things that (GM) Les (Snead) and I would discuss," said McVay, when asked if the injuries at offensive line and cornerback will make the Rams more aggressive than they would've been with the deadline approaching. "Really, if we felt like it was somebody that in the short-term, but then also you have a long-term perspective on, would help us, those are things that we're always looking into. (Les) does a great job of having a pulse for the entirety of the league and guys that might be available.

"But when I say that, I don't think we're looking outside to fill that void immediately. We're looking, really, potentially outside for guys that would come in and bring maybe veteran depth, not come in and play."

Facing a three-game losing streak for the first time in the McVay era, L.A. will count on both new and familiar faces for the foreseeable future to end its current skid.

What it won't do is use the absence of who those faces are replacing to justify how the rest of 2019 plays out.
"No one's feeling sorry for us," McVay said. "We feel sorry for the players that have to miss time, but in the meantime, we've got to be ready to go and we can't let it be something that sets us back."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams OL Joe Noteboom out for year, CB Aqib Talib placed on injured reserve

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Head coach Sean McVay announced Monday that LG Joe Noteboom will be out for the remainder of 2019 with a torn ACL and MCL. Additionally, CB Aqib Talib will be placed on injured reserve with fractured ribs.

"That's something we haven't discussed yet," McVay said when asked if Talib could return after eight weeks.

Additionally, S John Johnson III is seeking out second opinion on his shoulder and RB Malcolm Brown is day-to-day with an ankle injury.

With Johnson, McVay said Marqui Christian would start in his place should he miss extended time. Troy Hill, who started in Talib's place against the 49ers, will continue to do so in his absence.

Regarding Noteboom's replacement, McVay said they would look internally to fill his starting spot. Jamil Demby replaced Noteboom against the 49ers, but McVay also mentioned rookie David Edwards as a potential candidate.

"We'll see if there's guys available maybe to add some depth, but we'll fill the starting spot from inside," McVay said. "Jamil's had a chance to play a lot of snaps, David Edwards is a guy that we have a lot of confidence in. Those are things we're going to work through and we'll figure out as the week goes on."

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
I could be wrong, but isnt rapp hurt? Wouldnt that make a difference?

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I miss Roger Saffold. We should have paid him. I hope we find some help for our OL, or we just paid our expensive quarterback to only be pummeled. I really think we screwed the pooch on these new big contracts.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
o_OWell he can refuse all he wants, but they will sure define it from this point on no matter what he refuses.