Sean McVay: Rams must clean up 'things we can control that take no talent'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_12829620.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 2 hours ago

Sean McVay came away disappointed with the way the Rams offense performed against the Chargers in their joint practice over the weekend. He called out the group for lacking energy, saying it was “not close to good enough.”

The team hasn’t had a regular practice since then, but McVay hopes to see an improved group against the Raiders on Wednesday. He wants players to clean up the mental aspects of the game, such as breaking the huddle and cadence at the line.

“The things we can control that take no talent – the way we get in and out of the huddle, the way we utilize cadence, the way that we play smart within the framework of the play,” McVay said Tuesday at his press conference. “Physical mistakes are to be expected. These are the best athletes in the world and the enemy has a say, too. Those are the things I don’t get upset about. It’s the things that we can control and to our players’ credit, I love the way they finished the other day and we expect kind of that same continuity, that same urgency and approach every single snap in every period.”

As for whether there’s anything specific McVay wants to see the offense improve against the Raiders, nothing stands out. He just thinks the entire group and process has to be cleaner with fewer mistakes this week.

“I think it’s just the overall operation,” he said. “To the guys’ credit, I can be hard on those guys, but I think that’s the expectations and I think they appreciate that because it’s a reflection of the confidence I have in our players and the operation that they’ve taken ownership on over the last couple years.”

As McVay said, the offense did finish Saturday’s practice on a high note and he hopes the group can carry that over into Wednesday’s practice with Oakland. There’s no reason to panic, but the Rams must be better than they were against the Chargers this past weekend.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/07/rams-sean-mcvay-mental-mistakes-raiders-practice/

Ram65

Legend
I would like to hear one of McVay's team call outs. He is so cool and calm in interviews and presser. We never get to see and hear him get really upset/mad. Sometimes you have give it to the players to wake them up.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
"Shoot, we'll fix that."

If there is one thing I don't see in McVay is that attitude. He gets pissed at himself if things don't go right. And he has no problem letting them know he's not happy with things that aren't going right. I like the way he acknowledges sometimes you just get beat by the other guy. But you have to control the things you can. Stay focused and sharp at all times.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Sean Mcvay "We are going to focus on the little things. Like how we break the huddle. How we control our cadence"

Jon Gruden "I don't believe in dreams. I believe in nightmares."

Jeff Fisher "We'll fix that"

We've got a good one

WestCoastRam

Legend
Ummm... Jeff Fisher: "We're gonna practice how we line up for the anthem."

FML!

You can't just be detail oriented... the details have to be right.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jeff Fisher is probably the best uncle anyone could have!

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Ummm... Jeff Fisher: "We're gonna practice how we line up for the anthem."

FML!

You can't just be detail oriented... the details have to be right.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jeff Fisher is probably the best uncle anyone could have!

Interestingly enough I think Mcvay adopted Fisher's approach to the anthem.

I feel like I read something or heard an interview at some point. Mcvay liked the way Jeff handled it and was going to stick to it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No joint practice today? Haven’t seen a Vinny tweet all day.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
On a positive note, this is the perfect time of the year to let the coach know that you're not interested in giving a full effort.