Sean McVay Previews Chargers Preseason Matchup, Talks Center Position | Rams Camp Live

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

and the starting center is???

1628682771390.png

TexasRam

Legend
Yea as of now they are calling him the starter.

He has the natural leverage to drive guys in the run game and plays with that mean streak.

The negatives: If he doesn’t get the initial punch he can get steamrolled by strength and speed due to his short stature and wingspan.

He also lacks the athleticism to consistently get to the second level.

Tano

Legend
Probably more likely that Evans has played poorly at right guard.

He played real poorly at left guard in pass protection against GB and I am guessing that is still a weakness of his.

However, he was really good in the run game.

With the combo of Blythe and Evans, 3rd down and long became a nightmare play in that game.

Memphis Ram

Legend
While I still believe the Rams should have drafted Creed Humphrey, I'm glad that Allen has gotten the nod at center.

Let's face it. There just aren't that many stud centers in the entire league and if he's just solid, the Rams should be fine. Quite frankly, I don't believe having Noteboom & Demby at guard next to him last time helped one.

It also helps with the roster (active and non active) numbers.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not defending Brian Allen here for his poor play in 2019. Part of that may have been due to who was playing next to him. LG was Jamal Demby and on his right Austin Blythe. Both are gone because they played just as poorly as Allen.

Now he has David Edwards, who, by the way, no one has talked much about and deserves praise for his play so far, and Corbett who is much better than Blythe and Evans.

Allen is in much better shape than he was in 2019. He's put on at least 15lbs. It was very apparent in 2nd team reps in 11 on 11 early in TC that he was more dominating and stronger vs the rush, standing up and flat out shoving guys like Joseph-day, AShawn Rob and even Donald to open up running lanes. Both VFR and I were not surprised to see Allen taking reps with the 1st team.

I wonder if the 1st team DL had any input in the decision to start Allen with the ones. After all, these are the guys who he is playing against.

I hope they play him vs the Chargers so we can see him vs another team.

I give Kudos to Allen for his work to keep his job.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Allen is in much better shape than he was in 2019. He's put on at least 15lbs. It was very apparent in 2nd team reps in 11 on 11 early in TC that he was more dominating and stronger vs the rush, standing up and flat out shoving guys like Joseph-day, AShawn Rob and even Donald to open up running lanes.
Run blocking is really what I personally think we need most--I think the coaches should focus on putting together our best run unit. Our pass pro should be okay regardless, with Staff's quicker processing, releases, evasiveness, etc. And not being in so many 3rd-and-longs.

Psycho_X

Legend
Probably more likely that Evans has played poorly at right guard.

He played real poorly at left guard in pass protection against GB and I am guessing that is still a weakness of his.
This would be my assumption as well. It's more of Corbett at guard and Allen at center give a much better combo than Evans and Corbett. I have been down on Evans as a starter since this was assumed in the offseason. But maybe he can prove me wrong some day.
I give Kudos to Allen for his work to keep his job.
Agreed, the dude obviously put in a lot of hard work since his knee rehab. Hoping it pays off for the Rams as well.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
@bubbaramfan That's a good point. The D 1s have been practicing against the O 2s, meaning Allen had daily practice against the best we have on most days. With the added bulk, some assumed off-season prep, and that, it kind of explains how he got so much better. It would also explain why he would stand out if he was performing well in practice. If he's blowing holes open in the run game against the 1s, imagine how good he'll look practicing against the 2s with the rest of the starting offense!

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Yea as of now they are calling him the starter.

He has the natural leverage to drive guys in the run game and plays with that mean streak.

The negatives: If he doesn’t get the initial punch he can get steamrolled by strength and speed due to his short stature and wingspan.

He also lacks the athleticism to consistently get to the second level.
I doubt he will get steamrolled as much as Blythe did.

Allen has apparently bulked up quite a bit since he last played two years ago. Carberry and McVay must be seeing something they like. Not sure we can necessarily assume that his performance now will reflect weaknesses last seen in 2019.

In any event it looks like we will find out soon.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think we will see a lot more gap blocked plays, especially on inside runs. I don't see them abandoning their inside and outside zone blocking, but adding in a strong gap blocking scheme changes things up for the defense. I don't know where this he's not mobile comes from. Even in college, he was called up to play as a pulling center and he did it well. You want to see bad play on the second level just look at Blythe who missed more blocks than he made and looked totally confused.

In 2019 Allen played better as a first year starter than most give him credit for. I think he took being demoted in favor of a lesser player seriously and worked hard to improve his game. That is the exact attitude you want in a player. I think we will see a much improved player in Allen and the weak link in the OL will shirt back to Havenstein.

This is where Hopkins can come into play. If he has improved his blocking technique then he will offer better help to Rob who struggles badly with speed. If Hopkins can slow the speed rusher down giving Rob a chance to engage that would be huge. A delayed-release will oftentimes make that TE unaccounted for and open early in his route.

The interior OL looks solid now and yes I like how Allen has bulked up with muscle. Technique wise I think Carberry's influence is already showing. If this team wins a Lombardi, it will be in large part by Carberry's unsung work. I wasn't kidding when I said his hire was one of the best upgrades made this year. It's why I think if anyone can bring out the best in Alaric Jackson it's Carberry.

It's also why I think Evans' footwork will improve making him a viable option at RT at least on a backup basis this year and perhaps as a starter contender next year at RT. Overall speed can be improved with good coaching and training, just look at Kupp since his injury. I think Carberry can improve Evans' foot quickness to get out to block speed. I like Evans' nasty blocking attitude and think he can be a good run blocking lineman.

The bottom line is I feel good about the OL and I can see the potential for this line to be a top 10 type of unit. If they are this offense will be incredibly hard to stop. I think they will return to 30+ points per game as a norm. Not many teams will match up in a shootout against the Ram D.

One more month before it's for real!!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
One step closer for everyone.

Continuity and no major injuries from here through the SB is my dream for an outstanding year of Rams football.

We’ll get to see some young players the next few weeks and hopefully some rising stars that will give the Rams great depth.
I’ve got the game set to record Saturday but really looking forward to the srcond preseason game.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Not defending Brian Allen here for his poor play in 2019. Part of that may have been due to who was playing next to him. LG was Jamal Demby and on his right Austin Blythe. Both are gone because they played just as poorly as Allen.

Now he has David Edwards, who, by the way, no one has talked much about and deserves praise for his play so far, and Corbett who is much better than Blythe and Evans.

Allen is in much better shape than he was in 2019. He's put on at least 15lbs. It was very apparent in 2nd team reps in 11 on 11 early in TC that he was more dominating and stronger vs the rush, standing up and flat out shoving guys like Joseph-day, AShawn Rob and even Donald to open up running lanes. Both VFR and I were not surprised to see Allen taking reps with the 1st team.
I agree with everything you said bubbaranfan
in 2019. he was a 4th pick in his second year
He has had time to develop and improve. He is getting his second shot and I hope he nails it!

Here is a NFC scout talking about Brian prior to him being drafted.

Sources Tell Us

"We call that dude 'Bully of the Big Ten' because he is always bringing it to somebody each and every game. He's got that Alpha mentality because he comes from that kind of family. He might get drafted late but he'll make a team." - NFC area scout