Sean McVay on Robert Rochell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Like to see this confidence from the coaching staff on the kid after some struggles with injuries and performance related to those.

Rochell made five total starts and appeared in 11 games, though he likely would’ve played even more had it not been for a wrist and rib injury – the latter of which landed him on injured reserve in December.

Sean McVay doesn’t think people realize how much Rochell battled through in 2021, which is why he’s viewing the young cornerback as a rookie this year.

“I look at Robert Rochell in a lot of instances as a rookie because he did some really good things, but I don’t think anybody understands all of the things he was pushing through – whether it’s the wrist injury, he ended up having the lung/rib type of deal,” McVay said this week at OTAs. “He’s a guy that made a great play in 7-on-7 today. You can see the communication in that meeting room with Chris Shula, Jonathan Cooley and Raheem and Lance Schulters has been excellent. Being able to identify some of those younger guys, they fit the mold and looking forward to seeing those guys continue to evolve for us on the back end.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's not really confidence when a coach refers to a second year player as a rook.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
It's not really confidence when a coach refers to a second year player as a rook.
I didn't read it that way. Think he meant he'd be way further along in his development had he been able to practice/play.

I really like the guy, from the little I've seen - burned a couple times, but learned from it.
Fast, long, NO memory, and can tackle. Again, small sample.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
BTW @Merlin, what do you do besides clear your land and post on ROD?:laugh4:

You ever come back to visit friends/family, we need to watch a game together.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
With adding Hill, Fuller back, the rookies, Rochelle poised to move up, and the experience gained by Scott, i really like the depth and potential of the secondary.

Thus, I still see a real possibility of moving Rapp during camp so they don't have to cut one of the young guys. So I take McVay's pumping of Rapp as just that. Don't drive down his value.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Will look you up when I'm in town next time. My nephew is out there as well as a few Navy buds so maybe next year round this time. :clinkingbeer:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't read it that way. Think he meant he'd be way further along in his development had he been able to practice/play.

I really like the guy, from the little I've seen - burned a couple times, but learned from it.
Fast, long, NO memory, and can tackle. Again, small sample.
Yeah I'm not knocking Rochell or anything. We knew he was raw. Just messin with OS. :hug:

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Not going to take long for Rob to break into that top 3 cbs

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Wasn’t Lance Schulters, one of the coaches, a Niners, at one time? I remembered he was a very good, hard hitting Safety for them.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think Rochell is the skeleton key to unlock the Rams secondary in '22.

If.... IF... he takes a big step up... it unleashes a ton of possibilities for the Rams secondary.
He has the size/length/athleticism to matchup with number 1 WRs on other teams.. at least some of the time.
That would allow Ramsey to play the slot/star more.. OR.. it keeps him and Ramsey playing man, allowing the D to blitz more, which it will probably need to do this year.
You get to mix and match with the rest of the DBs at that point.. maximizing fit.

oldnotdead

Legend
What is going to unlock the secondary is Durant. How quickly he can begin to play meaningful snaps if not a 3rd starter. It will allow Morris to move Ramsey around and follow the opposition's best WR. Durant can play inside and boundary. Next year the Rams should have 3 quality starters with excellent speed. Now add in Nick Scott and this is one fast secondary.

Taylor Rapp lacks long speed, his playstyle is to diagnose quickly and play with anticipation. That's why he played so well for Wade Phillips whose scheme played to his strengths. Morris is a more conventional zone scheme that plays to Rapp's weaknesses. Quentin Lake is faster than Rapp and a much better scheme fit than Rapp. Rapp would be a very good pickup by the Ravens who play a scheme similar to Phillips. I expect Lake to take over for Rapp next year and perhaps increasingly so late this coming season.

Lake isn't as instinctual as Rapp, but he's a bit faster and plays with better than average anticipation. Like Rapp, he's not a coverage defender without limitations. Inside that 10 yard zone where Kyler likes to make his living is where Lake plays best. Lake is one of those defenders aimed specifically at QBs like Kyler and Baker who make their living on short throws within 10 yards. He's a good fit as a rotational DB when Morris is going to play a heavy zone defensive game. Durant will likely be the nickel i.e. SCB by the end of the year bumping Deayon back down on the rotation. I see Lake as being more of a dime DB and backup to Fuller. Burgess at this point looks like Scott's backup/rotation.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What is going to unlock the secondary is Durant. How quickly he can begin to play meaningful snaps if not a 3rd starter. It will allow Morris to move Ramsey around and follow the opposition's best WR. Durant can play inside and boundary. Next year the Rams should have 3 quality starters with excellent speed. Now add in Nick Scott and this is one fast secondary.

Taylor Rapp lacks long speed, his playstyle is to diagnose quickly and play with anticipation. That's why he played so well for Wade Phillips whose scheme played to his strengths. Morris is a more conventional zone scheme that plays to Rapp's weaknesses. Quentin Lake is faster than Rapp and a much better scheme fit than Rapp. Rapp would be a very good pickup by the Ravens who play a scheme similar to Phillips. I expect Lake to take over for Rapp next year and perhaps increasingly so late this coming season.

Lake isn't as instinctual as Rapp, but he's a bit faster and plays with better than average anticipation. Like Rapp, he's not a coverage defender without limitations. Inside that 10 yard zone where Kyler likes to make his living is where Lake plays best. Lake is one of those defenders aimed specifically at QBs like Kyler and Baker who make their living on short throws within 10 yards. He's a good fit as a rotational DB when Morris is going to play a heavy zone defensive game. Durant will likely be the nickel i.e. SCB by the end of the year bumping Deayon back down on the rotation. I see Lake as being more of a dime DB and backup to Fuller. Burgess at this point looks like Scott's backup/rotation.

What about Fuller ? Thought DD21 was off the roster at some point ?

I honestly have no idea how this all will playout.From what I know from my own eyes is going to get a lot of the single CB reps as a rotation guy.

At this point which might sound Freaking Extremely Crazy is Jalen or any DB is not safe to be traded.

fearsomefour

Legend
With adding Hill, Fuller back, the rookies, Rochelle poised to move up, and the experience gained by Scott, i really like the depth and potential of the secondary.

Thus, I still see a real possibility of moving Rapp during camp so they don't have to cut one of the young guys. So I take McVay's pumping of Rapp as just that. Don't drive down his value.
For sure.
The trade for Hill was a great move.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Guys like Rochelle and Burgess have the talent to be starters. They just have to stay healthy. Burgess missed half his rookie year after showing flashes. If guys can stay healthy enough I don't think they're as thin in the secondary as people think. Guys like Long and Scott performed well down the stretch.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Troy Hill does all that already.. that’s why Rochell is the key.
Durant is a great prospect and any significant contribution from a rookie CB is a bonus.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wasn’t Lance Schulters, one of the coaches, a Niners, at one time? I remembered he was a very good, hard hitting Safety for them.
Lance was a Pro Bowl safety selection with the 49ers in 1999 that brought one serious hit with his tackles (something sadly missing in the Ram's starting safeties (Rapp/Fuller last season) ...sadly Lance's career was cut way too short. Lance Schulters followed Raheem Morris, the Falcons' former interim head coach and Schulters' former teammate at Hofstra, to the Los Angeles Rams.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm absolutely FASCINATED by what the Rams D could look like this coming season.
Best case scenario? If young players take significant steps up? Guys like Rochell, Burgess, Fuller and Long? And if Scott can build on what he did in the post season?
We could have an absolutely hellacious secondary that is versatile and aggressive.