Sean McVay Names His 1 Big Concern As An NFL Head Coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Sean McVay Names His 1 Big Concern As An NFL Head Coach

Sean McVay is one of the most-successful young coaches in NFL history.

The Los Angeles Rams head coach is only 34 years old. He was hired in 2017 at the age of 30, becoming the youngest head coach in league history.

Since getting hired, McVay has led the Rams to multiple playoff appearances and a Super Bowl berth. Los Angeles lost in the Wild Card Round in the 2017 season and fell to the Patriots in the Super Bowl in the 2018 season.

The Rams would love to have McVay on the sideline for several decades and McVay would probably like that, too. But “burning out” is a concern for someone at his age.

“Yeah, absolutely it is,” McVay told Albert Breer on his podcast, via USA Today. “That’s something that I do need to be aware of because if you’re not careful — I just know the way that I’m going at it, you’re like, realistically, this isn’t the right way to do it, but you’re such a grinder and it’s kind of being able to step back, being still is going to be a key thing. And I am confident that we’ll be able to achieve a better balance and will lead to more sustainability moving forward.”

McVay added that things will change once he’s married and has kids. He’s engaged to be married next year.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/B8mPGqrDpmm/?igshid=34p3b50d249d

“The other thing, too, is what I’ve really seen from a lot of my close friends, once you get into that point where, hey, I’m gonna get married next year, obviously want to be able to have kids. That perspective of, all right, now you’ve got a real reason to live when you’ve got a family, you’ve got something else,” he added. “I think that balance and that appreciation for those things where it’s not just all football will help toward a goal of just being able to sustain and be healthier overall.”

McVay is currently under contract through the 2023 season, but the Rams will probably try to extend him before that.

Los Angeles is set to open the 2020 season on Sept. 13 against the Dallas Cowboys.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sean McVay wants to coach another 10-plus years but worries about burning out

Sean McVay often talks about focusing on the present and not looking too far ahead, which is sage advice for a 34-year-old. But he can’t help but think about his future as a coach and how long his time in the league might last.

Despite being the youngest coach in the NFL still, he’s as dedicated as anyone and works tirelessly to not only improve himself, but also to better the Rams as a team. And while he hopes to be coaching for at least another 10 years in L.A., he does worry about burning himself out.

McVay appeared on Albert Breer’s MMQB NFL Podcast this week and was asked where he thinks he’ll be in 10-15 years.

“That’s a good question. Hopefully still with the Rams unless I’ve gotten myself so worked up that I wasn’t feeling good enough to still coach,” McVay said.

Breer quickly responded by asking if burning out is something the coach has to worry about, since that’s something he’s heard about McVay before.

“Yeah, absolutely it is,” McVay said. “That’s something that I do need to be aware of because if you’re not careful – I just know the way that I’m going at it, you’re like, realistically, this isn’t the right way to do it, but you’re such a grinder and it’s kind of being able to step back, being still is going to be a key thing. And I am confident that we’ll be able to achieve a better balance and will lead to more sustainability moving forward.”

McVay has been forced to slow down a little bit this offseason because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Rams’ facility was closed for most of the offseason until recently, causing McVay to work from home. He’s still been putting in plenty of hours and work, but there’s only so much he can do without being on the practice field with players or in meeting rooms with his coaches.

As McVay has grown as a coach in the last three years, he’s learned the importance of having a work-life balance. That will become even more apparent in the future, too, after he gets married and starts a family.

“The other thing, too, is what I’ve really seen from a lot of my close friends, once you get into that point where, hey, I’m gonna get married next year, obviously want to be able to have kids. That perspective of, all right, now you’ve got a real reason to live when you’ve got a family, you’ve got something else,” he said. “I think that balance and that appreciation for those things where it’s not just all football will help toward a goal of just being able to sustain and be healthier overall.”

Currently, McVay is under contract with the Rams through the 2023 season – one year less than Jared Goff is signed for. Unless things go seriously wrong in the next four years, it’s hard to imagine the Rams firing McVay anytime soon.

With the way he’s helped completely turn around a franchise that couldn’t get above the .500 mark for a decade, he deserves to be around for the duration of his contract. Beyond that, the Rams might have to worry about burnout more than him failing to keep up his winning ways.

Psycho_X

Legend
Enjoy yourself with that wife and don’t get burned out coach. Honestly kinda depressed he mentioned 10 years even if it was just off the cuff. How about 30 more years and some Super Bowls coach?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's so much like Dick Vermiel it's scary.

Ram65

Legend
I think McVay is smart enough to learn how to pace himself. Before COVID he was doing video conferences with coaches or something like that. IIRC. He didn't waste him and the Coordinators' time going to the combine. He doesn't have to be like the old school coaches that sleep in the office and are football 20 hours a day. He is about a half-hour away from the practice facility with no traffic early in the morning. Ten more years is a long time to stay with one franchise. I think McVay and his future wife love the SoCal atmosphere and working for a great owner. He has created a great family atmosphere with the Rams that he can enjoy with his future family. He will be around for many years.

* Note Reid started with the Eagles in 1999 till he went to KC.

Longest-Tenured Head Coaches In The NFL

• Bill Belichick (New England Patriots): January 27, 2000.
  • Asshole Face (New Orleans Saints): January 18, 2006.
  • Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers): January 27, 2007.
  • John Harbaugh (Baltimore Ravens): January 19, 2008.
  • Pete Carroll (Seattle Seahawks): January 9, 2010.
  • Andy Reid (Kansas City Chiefs): January 4, 2013.
More items...

May 16, 2020

Longest-Tenured Head Coaches In The NFL

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
As long as he has a safe word at home, he should be fine!

Unknown.jpeg

images.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard him say somewhere that the 2019 season aged him several years. He is obsessed, which we all love...but, the weird irony is that many times our best gifting is also our greatest weakness. I hope the changes he made this year in personnel on the field and on his staff pay off. If the wheels come off of this season, I don’t know how much his psyche can handle.