Sean McVay + Les Snead Talk 2021 NFL Draft Prep, Center Position, DeSean Jackson Signing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Top takeaways from Sean McVay and Les Snead's 2021 pre-draft press conference​

Apr 27, 2021 at 06:33 PM

Stu Jackson
Staff Writer

Rams head coach Sean McVay and general manager Les Snead held their annual pre-draft press conference on Tuesday afternoon, covering the team's preparation for another unique draft, new free agency additions since they last spoke with the media and more. Here are some of the highlights and key takeaways from their nearly 40-minute virtual session with local media.

Exploratory talks about trading back already underway
Los Angeles has been no stranger to trading back to acquire more picks in the NFL Draft in the Snead-McVay era – see the 2019 draft as one of the biggest examples as well as their action on Day 3 last year – and that could be in play again this year.
According to Snead, the team has already, and will continue to have, discussions with other teams "on a few" of their picks in terms of potentially trading back.
"Historically when you're picking 57th, a little late in the second round, at the end of the day there's a supply and demand factor that comes into it," Snead said. "But historically, those picks have been traded often because a team that may be sitting in the third round maybe has more capital to move up, just to jump a few teams. So, I do think the exploratory talks will continue between now and then. But again, could happen a lot on Friday, but I think at that pick right there, there will be not to be teams behind us that a player falls to that pick and they want to go get him."
Rams feel strongly about internal options for replacing Austin Blythe at center

With Austin Blythe signing with the Chiefs during free agency, the Rams have a vacancy at the starting center spot. Both McVay and Snead expressed confidence in their internal options – McVay even said they would be "more than comfortable" going that route rather than acquiring one via the draft.
"We've definitely discussed some internal candidates," Snead said. "Definitely, like every draft, we evaluate the center position and try to stack those layers as best as possible."
"There's absolutely candidates in our building right now," McVay said.
Brian Allen, a 2018 fourth-round pick with starting experience, and Coleman Shelton, who was originally signed in 2019 after spending the preseason with the Cardinals and retained earlier this year as an exclusive rights free agent, were the first two names McVay brought up. McVay also noted that they have guards with position flexibility to potentially play it.
Kevin Carberry valuable to draft prep
As Snead mentioned earlier, the Rams are still evaluating the centers. And if they do decide to use a pick on a center or another offensive line prospect, they'll feel great about their research thanks to new offensive line coach Kevin Carberry.
"I'll tell you what's been really helpful is Kevin Carberry, the mastery that he's had from recruiting and a lot of the crossover with, whether it's Pac-12 guys, or even just when you're looking at a lot of these linemen now that are coming out," McVay said. "He's got a great command of this draft class because he was at Stanford for three years."

Recent free agency transactions
Tuesday's press conference marked the first chance reporters had to speak with McVay and Snead since the re-signing of cornerback Darious Williams and signings of wide receiver DeSean Jackson and punter Corey Bojorquez
Williams is "someone you'd love to be around (for) a long time," Snead said. However, given the uncertainty with what the 2022 salary cap will look like, it's tougher to engage in those discussions right now.
"But as Wade Phillips used to say, good players get paid and Darious Williams has proven to be a good player," Snead said. "I always say, yup, we'd love to have as many good players as possible."
Meanwhile, the Jackson addition had to do with McVay's history with Jackson (the two worked together in Washington from 2014-16) and the chance to add a "smart, explosive player" to L.A.'s offense.
"He brings an element to our offense where he adds to a really solid receiving group," McVay said. "He's known for the ability to stretch the top shelf of the defense, and create and add to some of those explosives, but it certainly isn't exclusive to that."
As for Bojorquez, Snead indicated signing him was a value opportunity for the Rams, while McVay was adamant that Bojorquez was not brought in to compete with incumbent Johnny Hekker.

"Johnny's resume speaks for itself," Snead said.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Snead mentions several times the importance of "draft capital. Sure sounds like he'll trade back to get more picks.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Snead mentions several times the importance of "draft capital. Sure sounds like he'll trade back to get more picks.
Snead is unable to control his actions or stop himself from doing something-- (trading to get more "Draft capital" )

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
"I'll tell you what's been really helpful is Kevin Carberry, the mastery that he's had from recruiting and a lot of the crossover with, whether it's Pac-12 guys, or even just when you're looking at a lot of these linemen now that are coming out," McVay said. "He's got a great command of this draft class because he was at Stanford for three years."

That caught my eye too.

Seems we’re taking an offensive lineman at some point... but where?

gabriel byrne thinking GIF by A24

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My thought is a player from North Carolina,plus the new LBer that can cover like a CB.Chazz Surratt ?
I’d trade for 2 70’s and take Nicko Collins as well. That is just playing the game.Les Snead said he has to wait to see what the board looks like.
Mcvay says he won’t be ready to draft until Friday,making it clear The Rams will be patient.R.Morris & a POOL PARTY! Not sure if that included a trade back?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That caught my eye too.

Seems we’re taking an offensive lineman at some point... but where?

gabriel byrne thinking GIF by A24

Like Anchrum last season,you always can add depth & competition.Anytime you can upgrade you do.The Rams still have Demby & Coleman.There are a lot of free agents as well.The thing about The Rams that NO ONE is talking about is the way Mcvay & The Rams do business.Will see if teams start to do the same(Detroit,Chargers) ?
Mcvay does not start his starters in the preseason.This gives I drafted players a chance to gain experience.The experience David Edwards,Brewer & Bobby Evans got there rookie year was priceless.The Rams offensive line has come a long way.The weird thing is Mcvay talking about cross training.I don’t know how
it all plays out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's been reported by numerous draft sites the talent in this draft is very shallow in terms of good talent & depth @ almost all positions. Just talking heads & draftniks clips & articles. If this was true then trading valuable higher picks for additional low-value selections in a shallow draft would be a massive bad move.

Last draft Snead had five 3rd day draft selections only one got onto the field to help the team. On the flip side of this discussion, Snead hit on starters David Edward, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Samson Ebukam, Travin Howard & Micah Kiser over the last several past drafts.

IMO if he wants valuable additional draft capital then Snead is going to have to trade Ram players for it. Presently he has only three 3rd day draft picks.

However, our new OL coach might well pay off seriously if he had much better insider info on the players he worked with & directly played against the last few seasons @ Stanford.

I have no real idea myself & I am all over the draft map with no real way to have a good take on it either. Just talking heads & draftniks clips & articles. :thinking:

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
It sounds like getting anything back less than a top of the 5th round might not be worth it. I think I read where in a regular year there's on average of 250 draftable players but this year there's about 100 less. That lands around top of 5th.