Sean McVay is both blessed and cursed with regard to his asst coaches...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The blessing is that right now McVay will enjoy the inside track when pursuing outside asst coaches. It’s almost not fair. And these “best and brightest” will come in and thrive in this environment and with this talented roster, all of which helps the Rams in a constant benevolent cycle.

The curse is that other teams will be watching and will be constantly hiring away these great asst coaches, creating a never ending need for McVay to stay on top of the newest crop of up and comer coaches to replenish the ranks. More I think about it, that’s not much of a curse, is it? Other than the constant hiring and training? Constant inflow of bright minds and youthful energy?

As an aside, this Eric Henderson hiring bodes well on several fronts and in no particular order:

Johnson had to go. And, even though a longtime friend of Wade, he was replaced with a sought after bright young coach. Tells me that winning comes first with McVay and he demands results from his coaches. Can’t overstate the importance of that concept. Love it.

Also makes a statement that the DL will be expected to be a big part of our ‘19 D. Now AD will be getting a lot more help this year. I look for incoming players from both FA and the draft for our DL. Welcome news, indeed.

This decision possibly came from McVay (and Wade’s) self scouting after their season review post SB loss. Not sure, but there may be another shoe yet to fall. Stay tuned.

Lastly, other coaches and all players will notice that Johnson was replaced. Sends a powerful message to one and all that results matter. Be the best you can be or another may take your place next year. Long gone are the days of tolerating less than one’s very best. Being a “good ole boy” doesn’t offer much job protection under McVay. My respect for McVay keeps growing and growing.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's not a curse tbh. Because while other teams can raid our asst coaches, they can't raid either of our top minds on offense or defense (McVay & Phillips), which is an extreme advantage structurally.

We are living in a golden age right now and it feels so damn good. (y)

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is nice that ambitious lower level coaches want to coach with McVay. So long as teams keep raiding the Rams' coaching ranks while the Rams mostly keep promoting from within, the top talent will want to come here, since they know that is the best way to keep their careers going on higher.

For some reason, not many of the Rams coaches between Vermeil and McVay had that "problem"

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
The blessing is that right now McVay will enjoy the inside track when pursuing outside asst coaches. It’s almost not fair. And these “best and brightest” will come in and thrive in this environment and with this talented roster, all of which helps the Rams in a constant benevolent cycle.

The curse is that other teams will be watching and will be constantly hiring away these great asst coaches, creating a never ending need for McVay to stay on top of the newest crop of up and comer coaches to replenish the ranks. More I think about it, that’s not much of a curse, is it? Other than the constant hiring and training? Constant inflow of bright minds and youthful energy?

As an aside, this Eric Henderson hiring bodes well on several fronts and in no particular order:

Johnson had to go. And, even though a longtime friend of Wade, he was replaced with a sought after bright young coach. Tells me that winning comes first with McVay and he demands results from his coaches. Can’t overstate the importance of that concept. Love it.

Also makes a statement that the DL will be expected to be a big part of our ‘19 D. Now AD will be getting a lot more help this year. I look for incoming players from both FA and the draft for our DL. Welcome news, indeed.

This decision possibly came from McVay (and Wade’s) self scouting after their season review post SB loss. Not sure, but there may be another shoe yet to fall. Stay tuned.

Lastly, other coaches and all players will notice that Johnson was replaced. Sends a powerful message to one and all that results matter. Be the best you can be or another may take your place next year. Long gone are the days of tolerating less than one’s very best. Being a “good ole boy” doesn’t offer much job protection under McVay. My respect for McVay keeps growing and growing.

Not sure about Johnson ? I know he was good at evaluating talent. Is he going to retire ,fired, or contract up ??

Not a great example.

The McVay tree will be looked at on how Cinncy’s & GB do first before it becomes
to bare. Olsen had a tough year as OC. I think
He was agoood fitnas QB with The Rams.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Meh, once a few of them leave and fail miserably (ala BB's assistants), people will realize that the true genius comes from McBae and stop hiring these guys. I think BOB is the only Belichick disciple that panned out.....