Sean McVay explains Rams' decision to cut John Franklin-Myers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

By: Cameron DaSilva

One of the more shocking moves by the Los Angeles Rams this weekend was their decision to waive defensive end John Franklin-Myers. He was their fourth-round pick last year and was active for all 16 regular-season games, as well as three postseason games.

Franklin-Myers even had a strip-sack in the Super Bowl and looked like he was going to be an impactful player in 2019. The Rams didn’t see it that way and after he played 30 snaps in the final preseason game, the writing was just about on the wall. The Rams probably would’ve loved to add him to their practice squad, but after he was claimed by the Jets, that’s no longer an option. After final cuts were made on Saturday, Sean McVay explained the decision to waive Franklin-Myers after just one season.

“It was very difficult, and I think it’s more of a credit of not what John didn’t do, but what some other players did do,” McVay said. “Again, a lot of those decisions do go back to, ‘What is the projected 46(-man roster) for guys that are actually going to be active? John is a guy that’s done a lot of good things and then that was a very difficult decision for Les (Snead), for myself, and really, for our organization. We’re very thankful for John and what he’s done and (he) couldn’t have handled it with more class and we’re appreciative of that.”

His comment about the 46-man game day roster is surprising, considering Franklin-Myers was active for all 16 games last season. He wasn’t a standout in camp or the preseason, so it’s likely that the Rams didn’t see a role for him on Sundays this year.

Les Snead also chimed in and shared some insight on the decision to cut Franklin-Myers, lauding the players the Rams do have up front.“It was interesting, too, that front-seven and I think we’ve talked to a couple of players about that today that, the last couple of years especially, we’ve loaded up that front-seven, trying to find the right fits,” Snead said. “That’s been a competitive, competitive area for us with a lot of young players that are earning their keep every single day. It’s been tough on them in terms of the multiples, in terms of the amount of players that we put in those position rooms.”

McVay mentioned the emergence of Tanzel Smart and Morgan Fox as factors in Franklin-Myers’ release, too. He said last week that the fourth preseason game was Fox’s best of the year, so it’s possible he just barely pushed ahead of Franklin-Myers in that preseason finale.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It could be that the versatility Fox provides could gave him and edge toward the potential 46 as was alluded to in the article.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It could be that the versatility Fox provides could gave him and edge toward the potential 46 as was alluded to in the article.
Yes. Wade loves his pass rushers & Fox is determined to be relentless even when unsuccessful. Fox plays one of the two DT posts in Wade 2-4-5 defense. Fox plays both the 3 tech post & 5 tech post in the 34 base defense. Lastly Fox proved that he was skilled enough to perform the OLB'er in Wade defense last season. Yes I would say the word Versatile fits here.

It's should be pointed out Fox appears to be in excellent physical condition since his ACL surgery, he has lost his Michelin tire around his waist that he has been carrying around since he arrived in 2016.
One of the more shocking moves by the Los Angeles Rams this weekend was their decision to waive defensive end John Franklin-Myers. He was their fourth-round pick last year and was active for all 16 regular-season games, as well as three postseason games.

Franklin-Myers even had a strip-sack in the Super Bowl and looked like he was going to be an impactful player in 2019. The Rams didn’t see it that way and after he played 30 snaps in the final preseason game, the writing was just about on the wall. The Rams probably would’ve loved to add him to their practice squad, but after he was claimed by the Jets, that’s no longer an option. After final cuts were made on Saturday, Sean McVay explained the decision to waive Franklin-Myers after just one season.

“It was very difficult, and I think it’s more of a credit of not what John didn’t do, but what some other players did do,” McVay said. “Again, a lot of those decisions do go back to, ‘What is the projected 46(-man roster) for guys that are actually going to be active? John is a guy that’s done a lot of good things and then that was a very difficult decision for Les (Snead), for myself, and really, for our organization. We’re very thankful for John and what he’s done and (he) couldn’t have handled it with more class and we’re appreciative of that.”

His comment about the 46-man game day roster is surprising, considering Franklin-Myers was active for all 16 games last season. He wasn’t a standout in camp or the preseason, so it’s likely that the Rams didn’t see a role for him on Sundays this year.

Les Snead also chimed in and shared some insight on the decision to cut Franklin-Myers, lauding the players the Rams do have up front.“It was interesting, too, that front-seven and I think we’ve talked to a couple of players about that today that, the last couple of years especially, we’ve loaded up that front-seven, trying to find the right fits,” Snead said. “That’s been a competitive, competitive area for us with a lot of young players that are earning their keep every single day. It’s been tough on them in terms of the multiples, in terms of the amount of players that we put in those position rooms.”

McVay mentioned the emergence of Tanzel Smart and Morgan Fox as factors in Franklin-Myers’ release, too. He said last week that the fourth preseason game was Fox’s best of the year, so it’s possible he just barely pushed ahead of Franklin-Myers in that preseason finale.
I think it’s more of a credit of not what John didn’t do, but what some other players did do,” McVay said. ;):unsure::bueller:

I wonder whom McVay is speaking of?

Could it be:

Was it UDFA Natrez Patrick who was a constant misbehaving immature distracted college ILB'er who found himself "Criminal Justice Involved"o_O :censored:more than several times. Then the light came on & he grew a brain! Found himself ready to play OLB'er, Edge Rusher & the weak-side ILB'er positions for Wade?

Was it 2018 top draft pick Edge Rusher Og Okoronkwo who woke up from an unhealthy coma well after his second Ram preseason began & like lightning striking over & over flashed through-out the rest of the preseason?

Was it UDFA rookie Edge Rusher Landis Durham who was a total unknown who performed all through preseason getting constant pressure on the QB plus the ability to set the edge on run defense. Durham appears to have the size Wade loves in his Edge Rushers who can play in his defensive front four on passing downs?

Was it UDFA rookie DL'er Marquise Copeland who played the 5 tech DE post far better than 2nd season & Ram drafted John Franklin-Myers on run downs set the edge & tackled RB's with a serious thud, In addition Copeland plays with a very nasty intent for all ball carriers Copeland is just plays mean. Something JFM did not show this preseason?

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Simple translation... he was beat out by better players. That happens at all levels of sports.

I remember the days when we had to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find possible players to fill our roster... picking up players who were cut elsewhere. Man it's nice to be on the opposite end of that spectrum now. We cut players who have real quality and potential... and they're immediately snatched up by other teams. It really speaks volumes as to the job Les/McSlay are doing with building our team.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That should make everyone more comfortable. If a player who was on the game day roster for the entire season was beat out for even a slot on the PS, then that means there have been some definite upgrades on a team that was in the Super Bowl last year.

TexasRam

Legend
Yes. Wade loves his pass rushers & Fox is determined to be relentless even when unsuccessful. Fox plays one of the two DT posts in Wade 2-4-5 defense. Fox plays both the 3 tech post & 5 tech post in the 34 base defense. Lastly Fox proved that he was skilled enough to perform the OLB'er in Wade defense last season. Yes I would say the word Versatile fits here.

It's should be pointed out Fox appears to be in excellent physical condition since his ACL surgery, he has lost his Michelin tire around his waist that he has been carrying around since he arrived in 2016.

I think it’s more of a credit of not what John didn’t do, but what some other players did do,” McVay said. ;):unsure::bueller:

I wonder whom McVay is speaking of?

Could it be:

Was it UDFA Natrez Patrick who was a constant misbehaving immature distracted college ILB'er who found himself "Criminal Justice Involved"o_O :censored:more than several times. Then the light came on & he grew a brain! Found himself ready to play OLB'er, Edge Rusher & the weak-side ILB'er positions for Wade?

Was it 2018 top draft pick Edge Rusher Og Okoronkwo who woke up from an unhealthy coma well after his second Ram preseason began & like lightning striking over & over flashed through-out the rest of the preseason?

Was it UDFA rookie Edge Rusher Landis Durham who was a total unknown who performed all through preseason getting constant pressure on the QB plus the ability to set the edge on run defense. Durham appears to have the size Wade loves in his Edge Rushers who can play in his defensive front four on passing downs?

Was it UDFA rookie DL'er Marquise Copeland who played the 5 tech DE post far better than 2nd season & Ram drafted John Franklin-Myers on run downs set the edge & tackled RB's with a serious thud, In addition Copeland plays with a very nasty intent for all ball carriers Copeland is just plays mean. Something JFM did not show this preseason?

Durham didn’t make the 53, so doubt it was him.

But Fox and Obo and Patrick definitely showed more than Franklin.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Copeland and Durham had some nice tape for UDFA's. Just scanned a bit of Youtube, I can see potential - Copeland had a nice game against SMU with a couple TFL's, a sack, a couple hits & hurries, and often drew double teams.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Durham didn’t make the 53, so doubt it was him.

But Fox and Obo and Patrick definitely showed more than Franklin.
Correct Texas, but Durham he still is a Ram with a contract. JFM is not. Did you notice that Durham was playing the position that JFM played most last preseason.

I am willing to bet that Landis Durham has a near future here as a 53 MR. He is inexperienced clone of Dante Fowler Jr. Wade will find a way to add Durham to this 53 MR before this season concludes. Just saying..............;)