Sean McVay criticized himself

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
McVay's done a great job. I would have to rewatch the game to see why the Rams had to settle for 7 FGs. It does have to make you wonder.
Yeah, but on the other hand that is 9 scoring drives in 1 game. It also seemed like the majority of them started inside our own 20. It's not gona ever be purfect. I'd say it wasn't bad though.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Well he's got the lead on the road with basically a rookie qb, minutes away from the biggest win of his head coaching career. Maybe there will be a time to go for the jugular but I'm not sure this was it. In the future McVay and Goff will be more experienced and more confident in situations like this but in the meantime it all worked out.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Pretty easy to second guess and assume he meant that he should have sent in a pass play. And it is way easier to sit on a couch and yell like you know what would have worked than to get the down and distance, decide on a play, and send it in while all that commotion is going on around you. Oh.... and do it in about 10 seconds so your team can run the play. Did we take a time out there? I don't recall.

Regardless, he is saying this now in hind sight. He's seeing things that would have worked in that situation. This is a staff that will admit when they missed something because they intend to make adjustments from minute to minute during the game and from week to week in between.

This is also why I really believe that he will have a winning game plan against the shecocks and that this team will continue to get better as the season rolls on.

I like the fact that during reviewing the game on tape he also picks apart his own performance. Hindsight is a beautiful thing, the good thing is the McVay is young enough to learn from the errors he makes. Some of the HCs that are set in their ways will never change.

Ram65

Legend
Yeah, but on the other hand that is 9 scoring drives in 1 game. It also seemed like the majority of them started inside our own 20. It's not gona ever be purfect. I'd say it wasn't bad though.

I disagree. They have to learn how to finish drives. It's a TD league. They were 1 of 4 inside the redzone. The long TD pass to TG and the short field TD after the fumble (IIRC) are the only TDs. They didn't score any long TD drives. It has to be a concern.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
maybe it's too early to comment....as in, 5:20 out here...but this is some funny stuff...

redzone offense is players...coach gets you down there...get the ball in the endzone...

I'm cool with a young team...on the road...and 7 fgs.......I am...it's game 4

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I disagree. They have to learn how to finish drives. It's a TD league. They were 1 of 4 inside the redzone. The long TD pass to TG and the short field TD after the fumble (IIRC) are the only TDs. They didn't score any long TD drives. It has to be a concern.
Let's see how the next couple games go. The first 3 games the rams were great on the red zone. Which is the trend?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
maybe it's too early to comment....as in, 5:20 out here...but this is some funny stuff...

redzone offense is players...coach gets you down there...get the ball in the endzone...

I'm cool with a young team...on the road...and 7 fgs.......I am...it's game 4
That was old Jrry getting greedy... visions of Fisher-led 10 point games are completely out of his memory banks... he's onto demanding more TDs :LOL:

Joking aside... yeah, baby steps... I, for one, am very encouraged that we are scoring more than 17 PPG on a regular basis... averaging > 30? Ecstatic!!

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I see no obvious blunders to criticize yet this season, except maybe the only INT this season and that I just chock up to a learning experience. I haven't noticed him staring his receivers down since.
I think before we criticize anything this team is doing offensively, we should wait to see if it is kronick or not. From what i can tell both the coaching and this qb are very adept at fixing issues that crop up. We are not used to this, but we might want to show a little patience.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You occasionally hear HC's say, We, as a Team, self critic all aspects of our game each week. It's refreshing to hear a HC do it to himself publically!!