Sean Mannion will open the season as Rams' backup QB, and he's ready if needed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sean Mannion will open the season as Rams' backup QB, and he's ready if needed

By Gary Klein

[www.latimes.com]

Sean Mannion might one day be known as the quarterback who forced Jared Goff to the inactive list.

For one game at least.

Mannion, a second-year pro, enters Monday night’s season opener at San Francisco as the Rams’ No. 2 quarterback behind starter Case Keenum.

Goff, the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft, will be on the sideline wearing a Rams sweat suit.

Mannion had an inkling he would be the backup after last week’s exhibition loss at Minnesota, when Coach Jeff Fisher said Goff was “not ready” and that Mannion would probably be No. 2 against the 49ers.

On Monday, Mannion said quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke reiterated that scenario. Fisher made it official Tuesday.

Players were off Wednesday, but Mannion will be taking second-team reps when the Rams begin game-week preparations Thursday at Cal Lutheran.

“It feels good for the coaches to put me in that position,” Mannion, 24, said this week. “Going back to April [off-season workouts], I’ve been happy with the way I’ve been playing and the throwing the ball.

“To have your effort rewarded and to be put into this position is great, and something I take very seriously.”

Monday night’s game will be a homecoming of sorts for Mannion, who played at Pleasanton Foothill High, located about 25 miles from Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara.

Mannion went on to Oregon State, where he became the Pac-12 Conference’s all-time passing yardage leader.

The Rams selected the 6-foot-6, 233-pound Mannion in the third round of the 2015 draft and he opened the season as the No. 3 quarterback behind Nick Foles and Keenum.

Mannion was inactive for the first 10 games. However, with Keenum sidelined because of a concussion suffered against the Baltimore Ravens, Mannion relieved a struggling Foles against the Cincinnati Bengals and completed six of seven passes for 31 yards.

The Rams’ trade to the top of last April’s draft to select Goff eventually led to Foles’ release. Mannion was regarded as the No. 3 quarterback behind the competition between Keenum and Goff for the starting job.

That competition never materialized because of Keenum’s sold play and Goff’s inconsistency and mistakes.

Meanwhile, Mannion impressed during training camp — “You can see the throws, you can see the poise, you can see the decision-making,” Fisher said a few weeks into workouts — and performed fairly well in three exhibitions.

After Goff played only two series in the exhibition opener against the Dallas Cowboys, Mannion came on and passed for three second-half touchdowns in a come-from-behind victory. Mannion did not play against the Kansas City Chiefs, but he entered the game late in the third quarter at Denver and played the second half at Minnesota.

He completed 39 of 60 passes for 325 yards and four touchdowns, with one interception.

“For the most part, I thought I played efficient football, put together some good drives and executed the offense,” Mannion said. “There are some things to work on, but for the most part I was accurate.”

Now Mannion is again one play away from going into the game.

Fisher indicated that he would probably switch Mannion and Goff for Week 2. That probably won’t change Mannion’s approach. From the time he joined the Rams in rookie camp last year, he has prepared each week as if he would start, he said,.

He will be ready, if needed, on Monday night.

“I feel way more comfortable,” he said. “You’re learning initially, but then once you learn it and have a year to work on the repetition of actually doing it on the field, it compounds that effect it has on your comfortability.”

Bonus baby

Offensive tackle Rob Havenstein was happy to move into the starting lineup last season as a rookie.

Everything else was a bonus, including the nearly $190,000 he received through the NFL’s performance-based pay program. The bonuses were announced in March.

“I saw it on Twitter or something like that,” Havenstein said this week. “I thought it was cool, obviously, but a bonus is just a bonus.

“It’s not something I was playing for. I just wanted to go out and do the best I could. And I’ll do the same thing this year.”

The yearly program was implemented as part of the NFL’s 2002 collective bargaining agreement with the NFL Players Assn. The formula for bonuses weighs playing time against salary.

Each team had a distribution pool of about $3.8 million, which does not count against the salary cap. Havenstein, a second-round draft pick from Wisconsin, had a base salary of $435,000, according to spotrac.com. He started 13 games.

His preparation for this season was stalled because of a foot injury.

The 6-foot-8, 321-pound Havenstein was sidelined for organized-team activities and nearly all of training camp, but returned to start the final exhibition against Minnesota.

He is listed behind Rodger Saffold on the Rams’ depth chart, and said he still was honing his pass-protection sets for the opener.

“That’s something I’ll be working on extra after practice,” he said. “Something I can’t get enough of are reps.”

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Great Googily Moogily, say it ain't so. I'll pass on Captain Checkdown. No Mannion for me.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Goff isn't ready, so of course Mannion is the Back-up in game one! That's a No-Brainer!!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great Googily Moogily, say it ain't so. I'll pass on Captain Checkdown. No Mannion for me.

Let's give Mannion some credit, big improvement from one year to the next and I hope he keeps improving to the point the Rams get an excellent draft choice for him.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Let's give Mannion some credit, big improvement from one year to the next and I hope he keeps improving to the point the Rams get an excellent draft choice for him.

Agreed, instead of talking down on him. Let's all appreciate his improvement from rookie to year 2. I'm hoping he'll continue to improve from there to be a reliable backup or trade bait

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Mannion has solidified his role as the Rams backup QB of the future

But I guarantee you I will be calling for his name and go all "TJ Rubley" as soon as Keenum fucks up

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Mannion has not thrown a completed pass that has traveled more than 8 yards in preseason or regular season.

It scares me that he will go in and any team can put 9 in the box to shut down our offense.

jap

Legend
Case needs to do enough to keep the '9ers from over keying on Todd. He also needs to exert a calming influence over all the young 'uns on offense.

I am hoping Sean gets more efficient at getting rid of the rock. He has a tendency to hold on to it too long for my taste. However, he definitely possesses a legitimate NFL arm and can fire the rock way downfield if he gets the time.

Jerad better stay locked in and focused. We are gonna need his talent as soon as he can get wrap his head around the playbook, the center exchanges, the rapport with his fly guys, and all the million idiosyncracies that goes with being an NFL signal caller.

Time to reacquaint the LA faithful and our national audience with seeing the '9ers getting their collective butts rear-ended by some LA Bighorns!!!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Mannion has not thrown a completed pass that has traveled more than 8 yards

All you need is 10 to move the sticks. We got a dynamic receiving squad now 'I Hope'. Surely we can go down field with positive yardage.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion has not thrown a completed pass that has traveled more than 8 yards in preseason or regular season.

It scares me that he will go in and any team can put 9 in the box to shut down our offense.
Neither has Goff

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I watched Mannion at TC sessions. He was the only one of the 3 QB's that could throw the deep route. though he did throw some knuckleballs, most of his passes were right on tight spirals. I was impressed with how fast he got the ball out. Mannion was clearly ahead of Goff in TC and is much improved from last year. While Keenum is better at reading the defense, and a better game manager, Mannion is catching up and if he has to play he will be able to stretch the field where Keenum can't because of his limits with his arm. Mannion can match the arm strength of just about any QB in the league. His accuracy will be his main issue.
Don't underestimate Mannion. He's smart, he's learning the game faster than Goff and he's correcting his play. If he can limit turnovers Mannion will be a valuabe asset to the Rams.

…..

Legend
The good news is that we're running out of angles to cover and comment on our quarterback situation.

So thankful the games are starting.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
4 TD 1 int and looks comfortable running the offense in the opportunities he has been given. I'll take that over what Goff showed any time.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quite sure his pass to Spruce against the Cowboys for more than 8 yards and he was 39/60 with 4 TD's and no picks in preseason and although he did not play against the one's, that was not too bad.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watched Mannion at TC sessions. He was the only one of the 3 QB's that could throw the deep route. though he did throw some knuckleballs, most of his passes were right on tight spirals. I was impressed with how fast he got the ball out. Mannion was clearly ahead of Goff in TC and is much improved from last year. While Keenum is better at reading the defense, and a better game manager, Mannion is catching up and if he has to play he will be able to stretch the field where Keenum can't because of his limits with his arm. Mannion can match the arm strength of just about any QB in the league. His accuracy will be his main issue.
Don't underestimate Mannion. He's smart, he's learning the game faster than Goff and he's correcting his play. If he can limit turnovers Mannion will be a valuabe asset to the Rams.

Things like that falls on deaf ears and blind eyes, everyone sees what they wanna see, but from watching mannion in college i dont see how you question his arm strength.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was also the most impressive qb at the peyton Manning camp.