Sean Mannion rises above OSU's rough season to entice Rams/FSMW

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Mannion rises above Oregon State's rough season to entice Rams
Elisabeth Meinecke
FOX Sports Midwest

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...s-rough-season-to-entice-st-louis-rams-051915

ST. LOUIS -- Last year, quarterback Sean Mannion got experience in an area no college senior wants: having to lead his team through a disappointing season.

The three-year captain -- who served as one of four on Oregon State's squad last year -- saw the Beavers go from back-to-back bowl game appearances to a 5-7 finish that included a four-game slide.

Despite the record, Mannion, who was drafted by the St. Louis Rams in the third round of the NFL Draft this spring, was proud his team refused to quit.

"Obviously, we didn't achieve the goals that we had set for ourselves, but at the same time, I think I was really proud of the way our team kind of stuck together and was able to keep working," he says. "To me, the best example of that is our win against Arizona State -- when they were a top 10 team -- late in the season. We were coming off a couple tough losses against Cal and (Washington State). To beat a ranked team at home, that was just a testament to the way we were able to stay together and just kind of stay the course and keep working hard."

In terms of showing off for NFL scouts, Mannion was at somewhat of a disadvantage in that there wasn't tons of talent around him last season.

"As a sophomore, he had two (skill) guys in Marcus Wheaton and Brandon Cooks. As a junior, he had just Brandon Cooks. As a senior, he had a group of tight ends and a not-so-good offensive line," Snead says. "A couple of his really good offensive linemen had gotten injured and missed the season, so he was under duress."

Despite the 2014 tape, the Rams liked what they saw in Mannion. He was a 6-foot-5, pro-style quarterback with undeniable toughness, the kind of guy who'd get hit in the chin and come right back on the next play to throw for a first down -- "all the things you look for," Snead says.

About two weeks before the draft, the Rams had a private workout with Mannion, who felt afterward he had turned in a solid performance.

"I thought I threw the ball really well. I had the opportunity to meet with them and kind of go over some football stuff in the classroom," Mannion says. "I felt great about all of it. It was one of those things where at the Combine and then at my workout, I really felt like I put my best foot forward."

For their part, the Rams were pretty much sold. When they went on the clock with the 89th pick overall, they made Mannion the fourth quarterback taken, following Jameis Winston (No. 1 overall), Marcus Mariota (second) and Garrett Grayson (75th).

"When we went and did the private (workout), I think that's what solidified him for us," Snead says.

In St. Louis, Mannion figures to contend with Austin Davis, who started eight games last season, and Case Keenum for the No. 2 job behind another new Rams offseason acquisition -- quarterback Nick Foles, who was obtained from Philadelphia in exchange for the oft-injured Sam Bradford. Rams coach Jeff Fisher sees some similarities between Foles and Mannion: "Tall, good target, good release."

Mannion credits preparation for how he was able to rise to the occasion throughout the pre-draft process -- a skill that should serve him well as he transitions to the pro game.

"I think, more than anything at the Senior Bowl, I felt really prepared going into it," Mannion says. "I kind of knew certain things to expect. I had worked really hard on my footwork, which is something I wanted to show I'd cleaned up. Same going into the Combine and Pro Day. I think when you're fully prepared, there's nothing to be nervous about."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Things you look for:

Size? Check
Arm strength? Check

Decision making? ?
Processing time? ?

I prioritize last two ahead the first two, then look to the first two to make up my mind.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Things you look for:

Size? Check
Arm strength? Check

Decision making? ?
Processing time? ?

I prioritize last two ahead the first two, then look to the first two to make up my mind.

Don't forget accuracy, that's my #1 for a QB.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I am going on record.
I absolutely LOVE this guy/pick.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Keep working on the fundamentals.