Sean Mannion ready to play for Rams, if necessary

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sp...-mannion-ready-to-play-for-rams-if-neccessary

Sean Mannion will be on the sidelines, wearing a cap and manning a clipboard when the St. Louis Rams open the 2015 regular season at home Sunday in a breather -- against the defending NFC champion Seattle Seahawks.

"As a team, you're focused no matter who you play," says the Rams' rookie quarterback out of Oregon State. "When you start with Seattle, that even amps it up a notch."

Mannion will begin his pro career as St. Louis' third-string QB behind veterans Nick Foles and Case Keenum. That doesn't mean he won't be ready in case of emergency.

"My thing is to be the best teammate I can be, to support Nick and help get him prepared for every game," says Mannion, the Rams' third-round draft pick. "And at the same time, I have to prepare myself so I'm ready to play if need be."

St. Louis waived fourth-year pro Austin Davis -- who started eight games for the Rams last season -- to make room for Mannion on its 53-man roster. On Monday, Cleveland signed Davis, who could start the season as the Browns' No. 2 QB if Johnny Manziel (elbow) isn't ready to go.

"Austin and I became real good friends," Mannion says. "I'm thankful that he and Case and Nick were great to me. I came into such a good quarterback room with those guys. I'm thankful for everything Austin was able to teach me while we were together. Cleveland is a good opportunity for him. I wish him the best."

Foles is the unquestioned starter. The fourth-year pro and former Arizona standout was acquired in an offseason trade with Philadelphia, where he became the starter as a rookie in 2012 and was the Pro Bowl offensive most valuable player and NFL's passer rating leader in 2013.

"Nick and I have become good friends," Mannion says."We played against each other one year in the Pac-12 (when Foles was a senior and Mannion a redshirt freshman in 2011). He's a great player who has a ton of experience in the NFL. I've been trying to pick his brain to learn everything I can from him, and also support him in every way possible."

Mannion played the most of any of the St. Louis QBs during the preseason. He saw action in all four games, completing 31 of 57 passes (54.4 percent) for 300 yards, with one touchdown and one interception.

"I felt good about it," the son of Silverton High coach John Mannion says. "I think I've made the transition pretty well so far. I feel like I have the offense down completely. I was able to put together a lot of good plays. I was able to complete some passes and run the offense the way it is designed, work the two-minute drill and the no-huddle (offense)."

Mannion believes his five years at Oregon State working with Mike Riley's pro-style offense gave him a head start in St. Louis.

"Playing in Coach Riley's offense prepared me greatly," Mannion says. "There are a ton of similarities with what we did at Oregon State and what we do in St. Louis. The level of detail is a lot higher in the NFL than at the college level, but I feel a great deal of familiarity with the plays and certain patterns and the concepts here. My time at Oregon State helped me from Day One."

Mannion says the most difficult transition has been with the enhanced speed of the game in the NFL. The 6-6, 230-pound rookie was sacked only once through the preseason.

"They emphasize the importance of timing and getting the ball out of your hand fast," he says. "It's critical to being able to play smart football and be a precise passer even more so than in college. I feel I've made that transition well, but you're always reminded how quickly you have to play as a quarterback at the NFL level."

Mannion holds St. Louis coach Jeff Fisher in high regard.

"It's been great working with Coach Fisher," Mannion says. "I really like playing for him. He's an even-keeled guy, the same guy when you walk in the building every day. He takes care of us physically in terms of being ready to play. I think I can speak for all the other guys on the team -- we love Coach Fisher."

Mannion feels fortunate to begin his pro career with the Rams.

"When you walk into an office or onto the field and are happy with the people you're working with every day, it makes for a great environment," he says. "That's what Coach Fisher and the Rams have created in St. Louis."

Mannion has enjoyed his new city.

"St. Louis is a cool town," he says. "I'm kind of a laid-back guy, and it's kind of a laid-back town. It's a good fit for me."

Mannion and girlfriend Megan Lopez -- also an OSU graduate -- have rented an apartment not far from the Rams' training facility. Sean already has attended four Cardinals games and, as a big hockey fan, intends to find time to watch the Blues play during the NHL season.

Last Saturday, on an off day with the Rams, Mannion and Lopez made the six-hour drive to Lincoln, Neb., to watch Riley's debut as Nebraska's coach. Brigham Young scored on a Hail Mary pass on the game's final play to beat the Cornhuskers 33-28.

"What a tough way to lose," Mannion says. "Coach Riley was really busy, but we saw him briefly before and after the game. It was good to get caught up a little bit."

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Lets hope he doesn't have to.

Because something will be horribly amiss if both Foles and Keenum go down.