Seahawks Waive 6th Round Pick Due to Rare Heart Condition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
The Seattle Seahawks have parted ways with one of their 2014 draft picks.

The team announced Friday that it had waived tackle Garrett Scott with the non-football illness designation. Scott was unable to pass his physical due to a rare heart condition.

"After undergoing an extensive physical with our medical staff last week, Garrett's examination revealed a rare heart condition that will prevent him from any on-field participation in the near future," general manager John Schneider said.

"We think highly of Garrett as a person and as a football player. The team is committed to supporting Garrett in the months to come and will continue to help him determine his next steps."

The transaction comes one day after Scott signed a contract with the Seahawks. Scott was selected in the sixth round of this month's draft, 199th overall.

Scott played college ball at Marshall, where he earned All-Conference USA second-team honors in 2013.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" predicts 2014 starting lineups and talks insider goodness with Bucky Brooks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...e-heart-condition?campaign=Twitter_atl_hanzus

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Surprising that they did not check that before they drafted him.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Surprising that they did not check that before they drafted him.

You don't have time or the man power to perfectly scout every 6th round draft pick.

Sucks for the player, but if it had to happen to any team losing a pick, then glad its the Seagulls.

jjab360

Legend
You don't have time or the man power to perfectly scout every 6th round draft pick.

Sucks for the player, but if it had to happen to any team losing a pick, then glad its the Seagulls.
Honestly, NFL teams have a ton of man power and a ton of time as well. This is the reason you have so many scouts and spend so many resources looking into these kids, it seems like this is something they should have known about.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
They only signed him yesterday. Surely the signing was done after the medical? I wonder if they signed him knowing this and then cut him, but with the signing giving some sort of financial security? Classy move if that's how it went down.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
They only signed him yesterday. Surely the signing was done after the medical? I wonder if they signed him knowing this and then cut him, but with the signing giving some sort of financial security? Classy move if that's how it went down.

As much as I hate to agree, perhaps the Seapidgeons don't just crap on everything.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Honestly, NFL teams have a ton of man power and a ton of time as well. This is the reason you have so many scouts and spend so many resources looking into these kids, it seems like this is something they should have known about.

Until each team starts doing MRIs on every single player before the draft, then your point is invalid.

jjab360

Legend
Until each team starts doing MRIs on every single player before the draft, then your point is invalid.
They already do an MRI, an echocardiogram (the test that would have caught this), and several other tests on every player invited to the NFL combine. I don't believe Garrett was invited to the combine, but if it's done there it seems like something that a team would have their physicians do on every prospect they have interest in. And not every team has to do the test, teams usually share information like this or it gets leaked or one of your scouts hears about it somehow.

It seem like something they should've known, otherwise what's the point of having these huge scouting departments and medical staffs.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Did the guy know about his condition before now?
They may have saved his life.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Gotta agree if that's the case.

jjab360

Legend
Uhhhh, no. They probably signed him, then gave him the physical to put the finishing touches on the contract, find out about the condition, then cut him.

This is the Seahawks we're talking about here guys, they probably found a clause to weasel him out of any guaranteed money, they lie, they cheat, they suck.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They definitely have both.

jjab360

Legend
There's a silver lining. The Seahawks found out about Scott's condition before signing him but the team signed him to his contract anyway, then waived him. That means Scott receives his signing bonus and first-year salary totaling about $555,000, according to Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...cut-him-due-to-heart-condition-234534881.html
Booooo, I don't believe it. They were probably forced to by a rule in the new CBA agreement.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Booooo, I don't believe it. They were probably forced to by a rule in the new CBA agreement.

Or you know, maybe they were doing a good deed by the kid. I hate the seahawks to, but i dont let it blind me. You coild be right but im thinking they just decided to do a nice thing for this kid.

jjab360

Legend
Or you know, maybe they were doing a good deed by the kid. I hate the seahawks to, but i dont let it blind me. You coild be right but im thinking they just decided to do a nice thing for this kid.
I was half-way joking, but it is possible that there were other reasons other than just good intentions.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I was half-way joking, but it is possible that there were other reasons other than just good intentions.

my bad, didn't know you were half joking. Just seemed like pure blinded hate lol. Sorry.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
ScotsRam nails it again. It's a burden being this good.