Seahawks To Release Wr Sidney Rice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Adam SchefterVerified account‏@AdamSchefter

Seahawks are releasing WR Sidney Rice, per league source. Rice signed a five-year, $41 million contract in July 2011.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/21/report-seahawks-to-release-sidney-rice/

Report: Seahawks to release Sidney Rice
Posted by Josh Alper on February 21, 2014
fb137f6d2c0d9b99e163a98644293eaa-e1393003619920.jpeg
AP

Wide receiver Sidney Rice didn’t contribute much to the Seahawks’ run to the championship last season and it appears he won’t contribute anything to their title defense in 2014.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Seahawkswill release Rice in the near future. The writing on the wall for this move started long before Rice tore his ACL in October. He was moving steadily down the depth chart as the team looked to other wideouts and his contract had him set to make $8.5 million with a cap charge of $9.7 million.

Releasing Rice will clear over $7 million in cap space for the Seahawks to use to bolster the team in other areas. Rice had a total of 97 catches and 12 touchdowns over 33 games for Seattle over the last three seasons.

With Rice gone and Golden Taint headed for free agency, the Seahawks havePercy Harvin and Jermaine Kearse as their top receivers currently under contract. Doug Baldwin is set to be a restricted free agent and should be back as well.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Glad we didn't get him back when he hit FA. Bullet dodged.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
A wasted signing that was(Rice). They probably should re-sign Golden shower Taint because you know Harvin won't hold up yet again. Must be nice to get paid to be rehabbing and nursing injuries your entire career.

Its pretty amazing that SEA was able to win a championship with both of their big name FA WR's contributing next to nothing.

jap

Legend
What did this guy cost the 'Hawks---something like $350,000 per catch?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
What did this guy cost the 'Hawks---something like $350,000 per catch?
Quick, someone do the math of Rice vs. Drew Bennett because I'm too lazy to do it myself!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Quick, someone do the math of Rice vs. Drew Bennett because I'm too lazy to do it myself!

Rice + big contract = massive fail
Bennett + big contract = massive fail

I recalculated 5 times and came to the same results each time.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Rice + big contract = massive fail
Bennett + big contract = massive fail

I recalculated 5 times and came to the same results each time.
That much math, I could have done. ;)

At least Rice didn't cause his team to shoo a possible Hall of Famer out of town and onto their biggest rival.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
That much math, I could have done. ;)

At least Rice didn't cause his team to shoo a possible Hall of Famer out of town and onto their biggest rival.

True enough. That was definitely the worst part of it all.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24451682/report-seahawks-to-release-wr-sidney-rice

Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Sidney Rice hasn't played a game in a Seahawks uniform since October and he might never play a game in one again. Seattle is expected to released the 27-year-old wide receiver, according to ESPN.com.

Although the Seahawks haven't officially announced the move, Rice sent out a tweet on Friday night signaling that the end is probably near.

The number #12 will remain on the left side of my chest no matter what! Grateful for the opportunity to share so many special moments w y'all

Rice hasn't played for the Seahawks since Week 8, when he suffered a season-ending ACL injury against the Rams. When Rice went down on Oct. 28, he was the team's third leading receiver with 231 yards, trailing Doug Baldwin and Golden Taint, who had 372 and 439 yards at the time. Percy Harvin was still on the physically unable to perform list in Week 8 and had yet to play a game with the Seahawks.

Since signing in Seattle before the 2011 season, Rice has only made it through an entire regular season once in three years. Counting his career in Minnesota, Rice has only made it through a season unscathed two times in seven years.

By cutting Rice, the Seahawks will save $7.3 million against the 2014 salary cap. Riceoriginally signed with Seahawks after the lockout ended in July 2011, when he inked a five-year, $41 million deal.

RamsFan14

Starter
Well... Glad the Rams didn't listen to me when it came to me wanting us to sign this guy. (y)

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Ohhhh how the mighty have fallen! Going to start having to release some people due to cap reasons! :) Can't wait till they have to pay Russell Wilson!

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Well... Glad the Rams didn't listen to me when it came to me wanting us to sign this guy. (y)
Always a class move to admit the guy you wanted was the wrong guy. We can bury our mistakes a lot easier than GMs can. Props.

RamsFan14

Starter
Always a class move to admit the guy you wanted was the wrong guy. We can bury our mistakes a lot easier than GMs can. Props.

He was a great player when Favre was throwing him the football, not sure what happened to him, but it is what it is.

Everyone is is going to have there fair share of misses and hits. Evaluating WRs for me and seeing them in the NFL has been a pretty polar subject for me. One point, I really wanted Johnathon Baldwin........... and I wanted Demaryius Thomas lol (one of them, not both. I liked both prospects a lot). Trying to analyze who's going to be good can be frustrating to say the least, no one really knows. Maybe one of these days we'll start a thread about all of our hits and misses for the fun of it!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
They won't miss Rice

Don't recall Red Bryant doing a whole lot, either. Bennette is the one that will hurt'em.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A wasted signing that was(Rice). They probably should re-sign Golden shower Taint because you know Harvin won't hold up yet again. Must be nice to get paid to be rehabbing and nursing injuries your entire career.

Its pretty amazing that SEA was able to win a championship with both of their big name FA WR's contributing next to nothing.

I'm pretty sure they were happy with harvin's contribution in the super bowl.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I thought Red was a DT - no? Not going to look it up as I don't really care.