Seahawks receiver Sidney Rice is retiring

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Seahawks receiver Sidney Rice is retiring
Posted by Mike Florio on July 23, 2014

350x-11-e1351859628890.jpg
Getty Images

The Seattle Seahawks will enter the 2014 season with one less player than they expected to have.

Per a league source, receiver Sidney Rice has decided to retire from football. The source says that the 27-year-old Rice’s decision arises from his history of concussions.

More recently, Rice has been unable to play due to a knee injury suffered during the 2013 season. A torn ACL caused him to miss eight games in the regular season and the playoffs.

Signed in 2011 after four seasons in Minnesota, Rice never came close to matching a breakout season third season in the league. With Brett Favre arriving in Minnesota, Rice generated 1,312 receiving yards in 2009. Since then, he has appeared in 16 regular-season games only once.

Cut after the 2013 season by the Seahawks, Rice rejoined Seattle in April after getting clearance from Dr. James Andrews. Rice was due to earn a base salary of $1 million this year.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Got his ring and all, who can blame him for wanting to know what it is 10 years from now,then again, perfect set up for a suit.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
So the Seacocks version of our Drew Bennett. Go on and take the money n run.

All joking aside, health> money for Rice.

Mick

Pro Bowler
Got his ring and all, who can blame him for wanting to know what it is 10 years from now,then again, perfect set up for a suit.
Ha....that's the first thing that came to mind when I read the concussion angle.....I don't think Rice is done making money from the NFL...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Dude hasn't played a full season since 2009. I'd say this is long overdue.

Athos

Legend
Not surprising, but ultimately means nothing to the Hags since he never really saw the field in the first place.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
so their weapons on offense are Harvin (if he stays healthy), Lynch and Wilson. so... for the most part stack the box have a qb spy on wilson and double Harvin. obviously real football aint like Madden but that would be my basic game plan on D. they barely beat us last year with Clemens so bring it on Seattle

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'll bet anyone here $100,000 ROD dollars that Harvin won't play in 16 gm's this season.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll bet anyone here $100,000 ROD dollars that Harvin won't play in 16 gm's this season.

Pretty much the ultimate sucker bet. It'd be like betting someone "I'll bet that posters on RamStalk will post bad things about SB after the game regardless of how he plays."

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Pretty much the ultimate sucker bet. It'd be like betting someone "I'll bet that posters on RamStalk will post bad things about SB after the game regardless of how he plays."
Pretty much.