Seahawks put Rams in their place again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_75b75def-a0a1-5328-9119-97183591ee8b.html
SEATTLE • For the Rams, CenturyLink Field has become the place where seasons — and dreams — go to die. Small dreams maybe, but dreams nonetheless.

• In 2010, the 7-8 Rams lost a winner-take-all game for the NFC West title to the Seahawks, 16-6, on the final game of the regular season.

• In 2012, the 7-7-1 Rams had a chance to finish with a winning record for the first time since 2003 but lost 20-13 to the Seahawks, in their regular-season finale.

• And then came Sunday. No suspense this time. With a chance to have their first .500 season since 2007, the Rams were dominated by the Seahawks 27-9 to end the 2013 campaign.

Happy New Year. Auld Lang Syne. Maybe next year.

A ‘pick six’ thrown by quarterback Kellen Clemens on the Rams’ first possession gave Seattle an early 7-0 lead, and it was an uphill struggle the rest of the way before 68,264 assorted crazies at Century Link.

With the Seahawks stuffing the box with everyone but the 12th Man, running back Zac Stacy fell 27 yards shy of 1,000 yards. He finished his impressive rookie season with 972 yards after being held to 15 yards on 15 carries.

It was tough luck as well for defensive end Robert Quinn. He registered his 19th sack of the season, but Robert Mathis of Indianapolis had two sacks earlier in the day to finish with 19½ to win the NFL sack title for the year. (Keep in mind, Mathis had one sack added to his total last week via league review — and that proved to be the difference.)

In a game that meant the difference between a No. 1 overall playoff seed and a No. 5 seed, Seattle’s top-ranked defense came to play. When the teams met at the Edward Jones Dome on Oct. 28, the Seahawks managed only 135 yards offense — the lowest total allowed by the Rams’ defense since the move to St. Louis in 1995.

The Seahawks flipped the script Sunday, limiting the Rams to 158 yards offense — the seventh-worst showing for the Rams since the move.

“We played a real good football team today, and didn’t play well,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “We didn’t do the things that we’ve been doing in the past, for example, running the football.”

The Rams defense played well enough to win, but got no takeaways. In their seven victories this season, the Rams were plus-17 in takeaway-giveaway differential. In their nine losses, they were minus-9.

“And then the penalty thing got out of hand,” Fisher said.

Boy, did it. The Rams finished with 12 penalties for 87 yards, and at one point in the second half it looked like they might finish with more penalty yards than yards on offense. All told the Rams were flagged an astounding 21 times. Nine of the penalties weren’t assessed because they were either offsetting penalties or came on plays where the Rams were flagged multiple times.

“It became apparent that they were going to throw (a flag) at any little thing, and that’s basically what happened,” Fisher said. “But, I’m not concerned about that. We’ll fix that. I can fix that in a team meeting.”

REPORT CARD: FISHER FLUNKS FINALE

Nothing could fix what happened to Kendall Langford. The Rams’ defensive tackle was ejected by referee Jeff Triplette for inadvertently knocking the hat off of back judge Steve Freeman late in the third quarter.

Langford wasn’t even on the field on the play that preceded his penalty. He was trying to defend linebacker Alec Ogletree, who had been flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct — apparently for taunting — after stopping Seattle running back Robert Turbin for no gain.

“I was saying, ‘He can talk. He can talk, right?’ “ Langford said.

Langford then pointed back to Ogletree and the Rams’ huddle, and in the process knocked Freeman’s hat off. Langford didn’t see Freeman behind him, but was still ejected.

“There was no intent. There was no anything,” Langford said. “I didn’t know I got a flag for that, let alone kicked out of the game. I thought it was a bad call. I don’t agree with it. And after seeing it over and over, I still don’t agree with it.”

And just when you thought you’d seen everything, linebacker James Laurinaitis — normally a beacon of sportsmanship — was flagged for taunting.

Taunting. James Laurinaitis. Doesn’t sound right.

“It was me,” Laurinaitis said. “I wouldn’t describe it as that. (Breno) Giacomini tried to clean up ‘Tree’ (Ogletree) after the play. I just expressed my feelings towards him to kind of keep it clean and the ref threw a flag at me for taunting.”

Giacomini is the Seahawks’ right tackle.

“Pretty surprising,” Laurinaitis continued. “I’ve never had a taunting penalty at any level. I’m not much of a taunter. But I’ll defend my teammates. I’m not gonna let guys come and peel off on guys after the whistle. We’ve got to learn to keep the other penalties out. But I’m not sure that when people are verbalizing things that there should be flags thrown.

“One was thrown on ‘Tree’ later where he was just saying stuff to the official. They’re throwing flags now for people talking to the official.”

Then he paused and added, “It’s different.”

BERNIE: RAMS ONLY ACT LIKE THEY'RE TOUGH

Laurinaitis said Seattle is a team “that notoriously picks people off in the pile late. That’s just who they are. They play through the whistle hard. They’re not the only team that does that, and usually a lot of times the refs will either let the game go one way or another. By the second half of the game, you’re sick of it.”

Things couldn’t have started worse for the Rams. Clemens’ third pass of the game was intercepted by Seattle linebacker Malcolm Smith and returned 37 yards for a touchdown.

Clemens’ first option was covered, and as he threw back over the middle it looked like the ball sailed on him. “It was a little high and a little hot,” Clemens said. “I was kind of getting hit as I threw it. The safe place to miss is low. ... That one is on me.”

Seattle tacked on two field goals before the half and was up 27-3 by the time the Rams scored their only TD with 4:13 to play.

“It became apparent that they were going to throw (a flag) at any little thing, and that’s basically what happened,” Fisher said. “But, I’m not concerned about that. We’ll fix that. I can fix that in a team meeting.”

Really? Couldn't fix it all last year and couldn't fix it all this year but a team meeting is all we need? :rolleyes:

I know most here like Fisher. I've never been in that group. Don't think I ever will be.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think Fisher wants to be a players coach. He allows them to get away with too much. And I hate that he hires his buddies to help him run a multi million dollar organization, instead of finding the best talent available. But, that said, players want to play for him. We can get good FAs to come here, he is a great scout. But if next year isn't a winning one, decisions need to be made.

duckhunter

Starter
Heresy. Blasphemy.

Alan, you must bend a knee or, the proverbial, "else". We can't have independent thought.

Rest assured, you will be put on the latest watch list at NSA. They will be filming your showers. Considering your age, that's a sick thought.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I thought the team was no more undisciplined than most with the exception of the Carolina game and yesterday. In both of those games I thought Fisher should have pulled the team together and tried to settle things down. The refs have to be held accountable for their part too. Some of the calls were ridiculously one sided and the ejection should get someone fined or fired.

How many f'ing years in a row do we have to finish in Seattle???? Let's see them come to StL under those circumstances and give it a go.:nau:

RFIP

In all honesty and not as a homer I just do not think that Seattle is much better than the Rams WHEN BOTH TEAMS ARE HEALTHY.

We dominated them in St Louis and with Sam we win that game by double digits, especially if we had any cb not named Jenkins covering Taint. People forget that if not for that ONE play in St Louis the Seahawks would have amassed 80 total yards for the GAME.

And yesterday's "score" was no where near indicative of the "play" on the field. Two ints by Clemons changed everything, along with a few other of his "missed" passes. But once again the Rams D bottled up Wilson save for the obligatory embarrassing play of Jenkins on Taint.

This may sound dumb to most but Seattle will be coming back to the pack soon folks, Browner's gone with his drug issues leaving a hole at cb and shortly they will be ponying up to pay Wilson...and Sherman, and Wagner and Okung...and Lynch will most likely be cut due to age by his next contract. They've wasted tons of $ on Rice and Harvin (a pick too as I recall). They have few weapons on offense and teams have been clamping down on what they do have of late. They have a great HFA (especially when the refs are added in) and have lucked out a few road wins this year. I can see a 9 or ten win season tops for them next year.

SF is much the better team, they have weapons in Davis, Crabtree and Boldin...Gore is slowing down but remember they drafted (and red shirted) that beast Lattimore last spring! They have the best LB's in the game however their front 3 is getting long in the tooth, especially Smith and I'm not a fan of their cb's though I really like the Reid kid at S. Kapernick is the wildcard, he's been exposed this year and Harbaugh did the smart thing in curtailing their pass game as they are one of if not the worst pass offense in football (by yardage).

The Rams are coming folks, and quickly.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
>>We dominated them in St Louis and with Sam we win that game by double digits<<

Actually, the only thing the Rams dominated was the number of yards gained. I think you're forgetting something a tad more important and that is scoring. In the first game the Rams were SHUT OUT (end zone wise) and in this 2nd game the Rams were SHUT OUT again until the mid 4th Q when it was all over anyway. That's 1 TD in full 2 games.....the Rams play the chickens tough alright, but scoring wise, it's not even close.

A final comment....how many realize that the Rams special teams have allowed ZERO net yards in the last 3 games (both on kick offs & punt returns?) That includes games against N.O., an improved Tampa Bay and finally the chickens yesterday (0 kick off return yds & -2 on punts). Did anyone notice the comment that Clemens is/was the highest rated QB in the NFL on 3rd down? If you want Bradford back, then he'd damn sure better improve on 3rd down because basically he isn't very effective is he?

As for Fisher, and I've followed him since his USC days....I agree with Alan, he's a fine coach, a motivator, but for the number of years he's been a H.C., he's a tad less than some of you give him credit for. In fact, I think he was the best coach to turn things around from the mess created by the last 2+ coaches before him and he has done just that...at least on S.T. and defense. But IMO, the Rams could benefit from a more offensive minded coach....but that's a story for around 2 years from now.

Happy New Year-----out

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
duckhunter with empty threats:
Alan, you must bend a knee or, the proverbial, "else". We can't have independent thought.

Rest assured, you will be put on the latest watch list at NSA. They will be filming your showers. Considering your age, that's a sick thought.

Too late for that duckhunter, NSA already has a string of satellites dedicated to watching me for other...good reasons.

BTW, they're welcome to those videos because broadcasting videos of me taking a shower is forbidden by the Geneva Convention.:wink:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Taunting. James Laurinaitis. Doesn’t sound right.

“It was me,” Laurinaitis said. “I wouldn’t describe it as that. (Breno) Giacomini tried to clean up ‘Tree’ (Ogletree) after the play. I just expressed my feelings towards him to kind of keep it clean and the ref threw a flag at me for taunting.”

Giacomini is the Seahawks’ right tackle.

“Pretty surprising,” Laurinaitis continued. “I’ve never had a taunting penalty at any level. I’m not much of a taunter. But I’ll defend my teammates. I’m not gonna let guys come and peel off on guys after the whistle. We’ve got to learn to keep the other penalties out. But I’m not sure that when people are verbalizing things that there should be flags thrown.

“One was thrown on ‘Tree’ later where he was just saying stuff to the official. They’re throwing flags now for people talking to the official.”

Then he paused and added, “It’s different.”

Laurinaitis said Seattle is a team “that notoriously picks people off in the pile late. That’s just who they are. They play through the whistle hard. They’re not the only team that does that, and usually a lot of times the refs will either let the game go one way or another. By the second half of the game, you’re sick of it.”
This pisses me off. Talking does not equal taunting.

How is it when we get a lineman doing this shit he's a knucklehead (Incognito)? And why is it that certain teams get away with it? Is this another one of those BS double-standard issues?

Head of Officials: Remember zebras, Seattle plays through the whistle; it's what they do. So what if the other team doesn't like it. Penalize them if they react to it. Especially in Seattle. We love their 12th man.

duckhunter

Starter
Too late for that duckhunter, NSA already has a string of satellites dedicated to watching me for other...good reasons.

BTW, they're welcome to those videos because broadcasting videos of me taking a shower is forbidden by the Geneva Convention.:wink:

Since when would any self-righteous American agency be concerned with complying to peasant and bourgeois chapters in that olde archaic rag: the Geneva Convention. However, be thee forwarned that I have it on good authority that, as we speak, the NSA is shopping those films to Hollywood for a fall 'believe it or not' series entitled: Aged bag of nuts dancing alongside miniature pointers. Martha Stewart is doing the commentary.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Yeah, they made Clemens look like a second rate QB... oh wait!!! Lol this is stupid.

I will say this, though. Seattle shut down our running game on an epic scale. Hats off to them for that.