Seahawks outplaying the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I am sure most of you have already seen this........

BY JIM THOMAS jthomas@post-dispatch.com > 314-340-8197 | Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 12:10 am | (11) Comments

SEATTLE — Thirteen players are on injured reserve, which is one of the highest totals in the NFL.

Three of five starters on the offensive line are done for the year. In addition, two starting cornerbacks are finished, plus the top wide receiver, and a pass-catching tight end. The quarterback has nursed a nagging injury through much of the season.

Boy, the Seattle Seahawks sure have had a ton of injuries this season.

When it comes to injuries, and lots of them, the Seahawks are keeping pace with the Rams, who have 14 players on injured reserve and an almost identical laundry list of season-ending injuries on the offensive line, at cornerback, wide receiver and tight end. Even at quarterback, there's Sam Bradford's ankle injury and Tarvaris Jackson's pectoral muscle injury.

But when it comes to the standings, the Rams can't keep up with Seattle.

Entering tonight's edition of Monday Night Football, the Rams are 2-10 and listing badly. Meanwhile, the Seahawks are 5-7, winners of three of their last four, and still mathematically in the hunt for a wild-card berth. Besides the injuries, they're doing it with one of the younger rosters in the league.

Nobody feels sorry for you. ... That's the longtime saying in the NFL when it comes to injuries. The Seahawks certainly aren't feeling sorry for themselves. In fact, they seem to be gathering momentum and finding their identity following a 2-6 start even as the injuries pile up.

"This is really the formula that we came in here a year ago to try to create," Seattle coach Pete Carroll said. "We didn't find it last year, but never left the philosophy and the approach. We just couldn't find it with the makeup that we had.

"But this year with all the young guys, it just took us a long time to get going up front. But this is what we've been shooting for, and this is the style of play that we want to play. So we're going to try to keep it going."

Over the past month, it's a formula characterized by a strong running game, a snarling defense and a favorable takeaway-giveaway differential. The Seahawks may be a very long shot for postseason play, but try telling that to the crazies who will pack CenturyLink Field (formerly Qwest Field) for tonight's 7:40 (St. Louis time) kickoff.

"I've played out there a number of times, and everything that you hear is true," Rams offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels said. "It's one of the great places in this league to play outside, and they generate a ton of noise."

The last time the Rams traveled to the Pacific Northwest, they faced the Seahawks in a game that decided the NFC West championship on the final day of the 2010 regular season. Nothing's at stake except for job security this time around. Long ago eliminated from postseason consideration, what exactly are the Rams playing for tonight? Or for the final four games of this lost season?

"You prepare as if you're undefeated because that's your résumé out there," said offensive tackle Adam Goldberg.

"The first thing is you play for pride, and then secondly the love of the game," running back Steven Jackson said. "You don't want to turn on the film on Mondays or Tuesdays, or whenever you're doing a grade sheet, and have guys questioning your heart or your love for the game."

And from coach Steve Spagnuolo: "I mean for all of us, all of the work and effort you put in during the week, the reward at the end of the week is to be in that locker room together after having beaten an opponent. That 15 minutes in the locker room, it doesn't matter what the game means, that 15 minutes to me is special. ... I know that guys have a lot of pride in that, and for me each week it's to get that feeling."

It's a feeling the Rams have experienced far too infrequently in recent years.

As team owner Stan Kroenke decides what to do with his head coach and general manager Billy Devaney, he may wonder why those special "15 minutes" have occurred only 10 times in 44 games under Spagnuolo. He will look long and hard for signs of the professionalism and pride that Jackson and Goldberg spoke of.

But when it comes to all the injuries, he probably won't accept that as an excuse. The Seahawks certainly aren't.

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/seahawks-outplaying-the-rams/article_95b548c1-0a56-59c0-9b47-aea32fc4189a.html#ixzz1gM16iI3V" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... z1gM16iI3V</a>

Anonymous

But when it comes to all the injuries, he probably won't accept that as an excuse. The Seahawks certainly aren't.

It's official. Jimmy done lost his balance.

The Seahawks faced nothing remotely like the Rams situation.

Are they currently carrying mostly (ie. all but one) CBs who weren't even on the roster in September?

Did they reshuffle their ENTIRE OL? Not just 3 injuries. Their *entire* OL.

Did they IR 3 receivers?

And of course also, their qb is working for the same coordinator he has had his entire pro career (Bevell, who left Minn. to join the Hawks when they signed Jackson).

JT musta let the Hewitt thing just eat at him.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
zn said:

Are they currently carrying mostly (ie. all but one) CBs who weren't even on the roster in September?

Did they IR 3 receivers?

And of course also, their qb is working for the same coordinator he has had his entire pro career (Bevell, who left Minn. to join the Hawks when they signed Jackson).

Yeah, he really did take that Hewitt thing personally didn't he??

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Well Seattle may have continuity with their equipment manager , but the very REAL similarities in the injuries both teams have endured cannot be denied.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sure. They both have a lot of injuries and neither team is at .500 right now. It's remarkable.

I'm not going to tell you that Spagnuolo is a better coach, or that the Rams are a better team, or how different the situations are, or anything else you don't wanna hear. People who want Spags gone, want him gone. People who don't, don't. Comparing other teams and other situations to the Rams is an exercise in futility. Nobody is changing anybody's mind, and any attempts to do so are a complete waste of time.

So, maybe we should all stop trying to do that.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Good point X

I'll tell you this though,
Regardless of my thoughts on the Ram Leadership group , my neighbours will hear my crazed screams clearly tonight.... and the screams won't stop until long after the game is over.

I hope we all have a hard time sleeping tonight because we're so amped up from a Ram Win!

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Selassie I said:
Good point X

Regardless of my thoughts on the Ram Leadership group , my neighbours will hear my crazed screams clearly tonight.... and the screams won't stop until long after the game is over.

I hope we all have a hard time sleeping tonight because we're so amped up from a Ram Win!

:good1: :nana:

Time for the Rams to earn a little respect and/or praise on Primetime TV!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Selassie I said:
Good point X

Amen to that, Lion of Judah. Amen to that. :nice:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Fuck Seattle.

That's just me though, I don't agree that the situations are similar at all. He might as well say "The Army and the Navy are the same things because they both serve in the Military."

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
Sure. They both have a lot of injuries and neither team is at .500 right now. It's remarkable.

I'm not going to tell you that Spagnuolo is a better coach, or that the Rams are a better team, or how different the situations are, or anything else you don't wanna hear. People who want Spags gone, want him gone. People who don't, don't. Comparing other teams and other situations to the Rams is an exercise in futility. Nobody is changing anybody's mind, and any attempts to do so are a complete waste of time.

So, maybe we should all stop trying to do that.

Yeah but, yeah but.... ah hell - I got nothing.

Though I still think Spags will prove to be a better coach in the long run. :neener:

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Time to get ready for war and to fry up some fresh seahawk! :twisted:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
bluecoconuts said:
Fuck Seattle.

That's just me though, I don't agree that the situations are similar at all. He might as well say "The Army and the Navy are the same things because they both serve in the Military."

I agree.

Fuck Seattle.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
Fuck Seattle.

I agree.

Fuck Seattle.

Third that emotion. FUCK SEATTLE!!!

Sorry ZN - I stole your old color. :whoa:

superfan24

Starter
Fuck pete the cheat and the sea fucks. Can't wait to see our D tear their asses up and SJ run all over their defense tonight. That's what I wanna see. Chat room it up tonight, ladies.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
Fuck Seattle.

I agree.

Fuck Seattle.
Ditto.

dick.jpg

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
RealRamsFan said:
zn said:

Did they IR 3 receivers?

No team will ever face the same turmoil as another team. But Jim's point is dead on.....on team prepared and constructed a team that could support this type of turbulence and another not only failed to prepare for it, but contributed to it.

You do realize that large number of the players on IR had a history of injuries or career threatening injuries in the past?

Jim was dead on

Sadly, I have to agree....... :bummed: I commented repeatedly from the start about "the walking wounded"....oh hell, what's done is done.